I just don't know what to think any more.

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

I just don't know what to think any more.

Postby Go » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:23 pm

When talking about Death Note on another message board, I was linked to a site called evilbible. What is this nonsense? I thought. And didn't even bother to visit the site. But I did just a few minutes ago and was...surprised...by what I read. There were a lot of acts of murder, rape, slavery, and not only that, it was supposedly in the name of God. The statements were backed up by scriptures and I pulled out a bible was even more surprised when I had the same interpretation.

That doesn't mean I'm planning on changing my religion any time soon, I just need some understanding. Why were people doing these kind of deeds in the name of God?
So sleepy...
Go

Postby Momo-P » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Because it gives them a "good excuse" to do these evil deeds. They can take them to the police or the nuthouse, but neither of them will be able to do anything (in terms of consulting them on the matter). Heck, if a person gets the right lawyers, one could easily manipulate scripture to save their client's skin!

Forcing the blame onto another is nothing new, but with God it's a special treat. It's not actual person so they can't confront anyone, and a non-believer could easily say at the last minute "God told me to do it!"

Though it should be noted, in not all cases does this happen. Sometimes you really do get a mentally ill person, and in that case it's nobodies fault. Just the junk in their brain...
Momo-P

Postby jaems-kun » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:34 pm

Sooo... You chose this faith... without reading the bible first?
jaems-kun

Postby Go » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:38 pm

No, I read the bible, just not the part about the acts of murder, rape, and slavery. Do I have to read the thing from front to back to be able to call myself a Christian? Isn't it enough that I chose this faith because of Jesus dying on the cross for me?

Momo-P: I was referring to the acts (rape, murder) in the bible that were endorsed by God.
So sleepy...
Go

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Which scriptures were used, out of curiosity?

That aside, people have been sinning "in God's name" for ages. It's nothing terribly new, though still wrong as always.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Go » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:55 pm

"Deuteronomy 20:10-14"
When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as a plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

There are more but I don't have enough time to type them up. I ask that you visit the site for yourself and see why I am in a state of confusion at the moment. I simply want answers to gain an understanding but if I am to be mocked like I was by jaems-kun then I won't even bother and will seek help elsewhere.
So sleepy...
Go

Postby sharien chan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:00 pm

Well like it was already mentioned a lot of things are done in the name of God but aren't actually from God Himself you know? Just because someone is a Christian doesn't mean that they always follow what God tells them to do. And a lot of people claim to do things in the name of God to justify their behaviors, when it's really not what God wants them to do.

However God in the Old Testament was a lot different from the God in the New Testament. I'm really not sure how to explain it because I don't want to word it wrong or anything. But if you want answers you should talk to your church, they could answer it for you. And it'd be a lot more accurate than anything we could say here to explain it to you.
sharien chan

Postby jaems-kun » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:04 pm

I wasn't mocking. I just think its a good idea to research the things you base your life on. You endorse Jesus, you endorse a God that kills adulterers. It's true facts.

What kind of help are you looking for? Do you want someone to tell you, "no this stuff really isn't in the bible"? It's right there, accept or deny it.

Personally, I believe that God is the ultimate perfection. Perfection which can't be understood by one as imperfect as me. So if Perfection sees fit to murder and rape, far be it from me to judge. I'll live my life as I think Perfection guides me personally, as best I can.
jaems-kun

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Go (post: 1202976) wrote:There are more but I don't have enough time to type them up. I ask that you visit the site for yourself and see why I am in a state of confusion at the moment. I simply want answers to gain an understanding but if I am to be mocked like I was by jaems-kun then I won't even bother and will seek help elsewhere.

Context has a lot to do with it. I'm hardly well-versed in the history of Deuteronomy, but I can at least say that, when people base their actions on things like this in the Old Testament, it's usually fairly shaky. The New Testament brings with it a new covenant to which Christians are to adhere. Many of the laws of the Old Testament are no longer used. Also, bear in mind that this verse is talking about a specific series of battles in a war, and not how one should live out their every day life.

Someone else will probably come along and make a far more informed post than I have, but that's the best I can do with what I've got. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Momo-P » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1202988) wrote:Context has a lot to do with it. I'm hardly well-versed in the history of Deuteronomy, but I can at least say that, when people base their actions on things like this in the Old Testament, it's usually fairly shaky. The New Testament brings with it a new covenant to which Christians are to adhere. Many of the laws of the Old Testament are no longer used. Also, bear in mind that this verse is talking about a specific series of battles in a war, and not how one should live out their every day life.

It's also worth noting how PEACE was offered up first. The passage didn't just say "go and attack this city", it does say to make an offer of peace first. I'd have to go and read what else went on around that verse, but if God let them go to this city and do this, there was obviously a reason for it. You can't just read individual verses or passages, you have to read around them as well.

Also Go, why did you just highlight women? Why not children? Why not livestock? If you're going to take that as "God says it's ok to rape" then I guess it must be ok to rape children and have sex with animals too, right? After all, if you can use the plunder, then sex with ANY of it counts, right?

However, that makes no sense. I don't remember any passage where God said rape was ok. Sure it may say the plunder is theirs to use, but the usage has to apply to God's other rules. After all, if they captured a woman and made her their goddess, that's breaking one of God's commandments. Just because He lets them have this stuff doesn't mean they can do whatever they please with it. It probably just meant they women could be used as servants or even taken as wives.
Momo-P

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:37 pm

Momo-P (post: 1202997) wrote:Also Go, why did you just highlight women? Why not children? Why not livestock? If you're going to take that as "God says it's ok to rape" then I guess it must be ok to rape children and have sex with animals too, right? After all, if you can use the plunder, then sex with ANY of it counts, right?

However, that makes no sense. I don't remember any passage where God said rape was ok. Sure it may say the plunder is theirs to use, but the usage has to apply to God's other rules. After all, if they captured a woman and made her their goddess, that's breaking one of God's commandments. Just because He lets them have this stuff doesn't mean they can do whatever they please with it. It probably just meant they women could be used as servants or even taken as wives.

Adding onto this line of thought, Deuteronomy 21 says the following:

10 When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

Not "rape," but marry after a full month. Again, context is important. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Peanut » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1202988) wrote:Context has a lot to do with it. I'm hardly well-versed in the history of Deuteronomy, but I can at least say that, when people base their actions on things like this in the Old Testament, it's usually fairly shaky. The New Testament brings with it a new covenant to which Christians are to adhere. Many of the laws of the Old Testament are no longer used. Also, bear in mind that this verse is talking about a specific series of battles in a war, and not how one should live out their every day life.

Someone else will probably come along and make a far more informed post than I have, but that's the best I can do with what I've got. XD

You pretty much got it actually. The other thing that must be remembered is that the Old Testament wasn't written in 21st century America but in a time when practices like the one described in Deuteronomy 20:10-14 were normal practices done by every country. Most of these "the bible is repulsive" arguments through scripture around while ignoring this fact entirely. Also, Canaan was an area which had already been condemned by God for it's wicked practices (such as burying live babies under the cornerstone of a building for good luck), so the Israelites were really just carrying out God's judgment. Go, if you have anymore questions don't be afraid to post them, after all how are you going to get answers to them if you never ask them.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Go » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Also Go, why did you just highlight women? Why not children? Why not livestock? If you're going to take that as "God says it's ok to rape" then I guess it must be ok to rape children and have sex with animals too, right? After all, if you can use the plunder, then sex with ANY of it counts, right?

I just wanted the emphasis to be on rape, and that is usually women. I didn't think about the children or animals in that manner.

Many of the laws of the Old Testament are no longer used.

Sure it may say the plunder is theirs to use, but the usage has to apply to God's other rules.

That makes a lot of sense and clears a lot of things up. Thank you.

Go, if you have anymore questions don't be afraid to post them, after all how are you going to get answers to them if you never ask them.

If I have any more questions (which I'm sure I will), I won't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to go do some studying on my own. It is true that I should be more informed about these things.
So sleepy...
Go

Postby Momo-P » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Good for you Go, glad you feel better and are searching for the answers! ^^ Just to help out one last bit (since I snagged my Bible off my bed), but that passage you were refering to, to begin with? It should be noted it started off with "When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies"--so ya. These guys were enemies to begin with. So not only was it not done for fun, but God still instructed them to try peace first. I don't know about you, but I think that's actually pretty dang nice.

The only guys who weren't spared were the ungodly nations like Peanut said, but with them...burning babies, burying babies, they had problems. It's quite easy to see why God laid out punishment on them. ._.;
Momo-P

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:34 pm

sharien chan (post: 1202981) wrote:However God in the Old Testament was a lot different from the God in the New Testament.

Eh, a lot of people say this but it's really not that true. God was a loving god and a just God, and he is still the same. Since he is "I AM", he does not change. He is past, present, and future. Him now was him back in the times of Abraham.

And what Peanut says is true. For example, back in those times it was customary for Kings to have many wives and concubines. Even King David himself had eight wives. Reason being was that more wives = more alliances and more power. God did not endorse the practice, but he almost "worked with" the culture to an extent.

Never take a criticism of the Bible at face value. Instead, try to read on the culture and the context of the verses and they will make more sense to you. I've been to evilbible many times, and all of it is pretty much things taken incorrectly and out of context.

And if you want, these two sources are great for some studying:
http://www.apologeticspress.org
http://www.carm.org
jaems-kun (post: 1202966) wrote:Sooo... You chose this faith... without reading the bible first?

Countless people choose the faith without any Biblical knowledge when at moments of powerful conversions. Let's get off our high horse, shall we?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Someone's reading a lot of their own context into that Deuteronomy passage. "Take these as plunder" refers to the spoils of war, among which human beings were not uncommon. The losing party in most ancient Middle Eastern wars were usually kept as slaves by the victors, though the idea of slavery then differed marginally from slavery now, and for the Israelites even more so. God instructed through Moses that slaves be treated as human beings, and freed after seven years of service, no excuses (unless the slaves themselves requested to stay by their masters' side).

And besides the point, God himself clearly banned rape in the Torah. "Take these" and "Use the plunder" are too multi-functional to ascribe only a single (negative) connotation.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tundrawolf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Go (post: 1202968) wrote:No, I read the bible, just not the part about the acts of murder, rape, and slavery. Do I have to read the thing from front to back to be able to call myself a Christian? Isn't it enough that I chose this faith because of Jesus dying on the cross for me?

Momo-P: I was referring to the acts (rape, murder) in the bible that were endorsed by God.

I spent a lot of time debating this very thing with people. It boils down to this:

Slavery was commonplace back then, and even today, believe it or not, in other countries.

The slaughtering of women and children called for was due to the level of evil they were involved in as a culture. If even one was spared, their beliefs could bring darkness into Gods people (As it has before, many times).

If you are unwilling to believe that allowing people of other cultures into your society will ultimately have an influence over your society, then I cannot tell you any more.

And yes, even children. Genetics can be passed down-and believe it or not, God is a heck of a lot smarter than we are. He knows more than we ever will, and there are levels of wickedness that can be passed on (Sins [curses, people!] of the fathers will be passed down to the children) even in a child.

If you think about the level of wickedness that was popular then (And sometimes even now) it really makes you ill. Back then, before the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ to make atonement for sins, literally entire societies had to perish to prevent their destructive and evil ways from spreading-they were so ingrained and without remedy.

Think about it-from a Biblical point of view-the cooking alive of infants on the hands of demonic idols, the harlotry of idol worship (literally sexual practices in worshipping their idols-which were actually demons) and all of the awful things committed, in order to stay pure it was necessary in that time.

Further, conquering armies (Assyrians, ahem) would routinely rape and murder the women, skin alive the men, and generally torture their captives, in ways that would make you sick. Did God ask His people to do these things? No. God is not cruel.

Further still, in case if nobody has noticed-this is a terrible world. If you wish to concentrate and focus on things you feel are wrong in the Bible, why not more productively spend your time fighting actual wrongful slaughters that occur even today?

This is why people who spear each other to death and worship tree frogs can be redeemed in the name of Jesus, because there finally is a Perfect Sacrifice of atonement.
Tundrawolf

Postby Tundrawolf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1203099) wrote:Someone's reading a lot of their own context into that Deuteronomy passage. "Take these as plunder" refers to the spoils of war, among which human beings were not uncommon. The losing party in most ancient Middle Eastern wars were usually kept as slaves by the victors, though the idea of slavery then differed marginally from slavery now, and for the Israelites even more so. God instructed through Moses that slaves be treated as human beings, and freed after seven years of service, no excuses (unless the slaves themselves requested to stay by their masters' side).

And besides the point, God himself clearly banned rape in the Torah. "Take these" and "Use the plunder" are too multi-functional to ascribe only a single (negative) connotation.

Excellent points my friend!

Let's say in 300 years it will be commonplace to take in people from other countries and wait on them hand and foot.

If God asked us to suddenly become the servants to our neighbors from the South, how odd would that be for us today? So God had to work with the level at which HUMANITY was at, at the time.

When people say "Oh why did God tell people to do such and such!" it really is disingenuous. Completely, so.
Tundrawolf

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:57 pm

The slaughtering of women and children called for was due to the level of evil they were involved in as a culture. If even one was spared, their beliefs could bring darkness into Gods people (As it has before, many times).

Kind of like King Solomon. When he married countless women, those women brought their pagan religions with them. As a result, Solomon erected temples for his wives to worship their gods.

As a result, pagan religions mixed with the religion of Yahweh in Israel and problems arose left and right. Syncretism at it's finest. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Go » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:03 am

Tundrawolf (post: 1203273) wrote:I spent a lot of time debating this very thing with people. It boils down to this:

Slavery was commonplace back then, and even today, believe it or not, in other countries.

If you are unwilling to believe that allowing people of other cultures into your society will ultimately have an influence over your society, then I cannot tell you any more.

And yes, even children. Genetics can be passed down-and believe it or not, God is a heck of a lot smarter than we are. He knows more than we ever will, and there are levels of wickedness that can be passed on (Sins [curses, people!] of the fathers will be passed down to the children) even in a child.

If you think about the level of wickedness that was popular then (And sometimes even now) it really makes you ill. Back then, before the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ to make atonement for sins, literally entire societies had to perish to prevent their destructive and evil ways from spreading-they were so ingrained and without remedy.

Think about it-from a Biblical point of view-the cooking alive of infants on the hands of demonic idols, the harlotry of idol worship (literally sexual practices in worshipping their idols-which were actually demons) and all of the awful things committed, in order to stay pure it was necessary in that time.

Further, conquering armies (Assyrians, ahem) would routinely rape and murder the women, skin alive the men, and generally torture their captives, in ways that would make you sick. Did God ask His people to do these things? No. God is not cruel.

Further still, in case if nobody has noticed-this is a terrible world. If you wish to concentrate and focus on things you feel are wrong in the Bible, why not more productively spend your time fighting actual wrongful slaughters that occur even today?

This is why people who spear each other to death and worship tree frogs can be redeemed in the name of Jesus, because there finally is a Perfect Sacrifice of atonement.

The only thing I don't understand about what you said is the children part and things being passed down. You're saying if my parents happened to be wicked, I should receive their same punishment simply for being their child? If both of a child's parents happened to be criminals or even worse, murderers, they should be killed the second they are brought into this world merely by association? They don't have a chance to live a life because of something their parents did? What about those accidentally born in prostitution groups? Maybe that's not the level of wickedness you speak of, but even still. Why should an innocent baby be punished?
So sleepy...
Go

Postby Peanut » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:55 am

Go (post: 1203381) wrote:The only thing I don't understand about what you said is the children part and things being passed down. You're saying if my parents happened to be wicked, I should receive their same punishment simply for being their child? If both of a child's parents happened to be criminals or even worse, murderers, they should be killed the second they are brought into this world merely by association? They don't have a chance to live a life because of something their parents did? What about those accidentally born in prostitution groups? Maybe that's not the level of wickedness you speak of, but even still. Why should an innocent baby be punished?

Mr.SmartyPants wrote:Kind of like King Solomon. When he married countless women, those women brought their pagan religions with them. As a result, Solomon erected temples for his wives to worship their gods.

As a result, pagan religions mixed with the religion of Yahweh in Israel and problems arose left and right. Syncretism at it's finest. XD

This is why that command was given, however it is a command which was given just to the Israelites when they were invading Canaan. And, might I add, that they didn't follow it and as a result they ended up mixing Pagan religions with the religion of Yahweh before King Solomon (see the Book of Judges). It is uncertain whether there is a connection between all sin and genetics. Personally, I don't think there is because if sin is genetic then it eliminates choice to either sin or not.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby termyt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Radical Dreamers mention of Deuteronomy 21:10-14 is important.

It’s not at all about plunder and rape. To take a few verses commanding the destruction of some people and the enslavement of others is what sites like evilbible do (I had a good laugh there, myself). They love to take things out of context, with no cultural understanding or other relevant verses. Their purpose is to confuse, not teach. They are among the most banal of all philosophers – those who desire confusion over understanding.

The Israelites, because God is good, had laws that were actually revolutionary for their time in the rights they promised. In most cultures, slaves had no rights at all. They were property with no more worth than a chair or a table. The Israelites, on the other hand, were required to respect the humanity of their slaves.

Also, the wages of sin is death. Those who refuse God’s calling and reject His ways are subject to death. We are His creation and thus He not only demands our worship, He deserves it. The Canaanites were not unaware of God – Israel himself, as a descendent of Abraham came from the land of Canaan. The Canaanites had rejected the God of Abraham and Lot and forgotten the lessons of Sodom and Gomorrah and chosen idolatry. So, in other words, they had it coming. Believe me, those who reject Christ will not fare better when their time comes. This is the very core of justice – those who unrepentantly do wrong must be punished. That we all deserve this same punishment, but have the hope of new life in Christ is the definition of mercy.

It’s not fair to judge a culture from 4000 years ago with the morals and standards of our culture today. Our culture has evolved to where it is today because of the advancements made by those ancient cultures. The OT actually defines rights and legal status way beyond those that were the norm of the day. It may appear that women and foreigners where undervalued or discriminated against, but considering most of Israel’s neighbors gave them no rights at all, God’s law is extremely progressive.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:13 pm

I think it's also important to note that for centuries (and this was in fact in effect until relatively recently) it was customary to take slaves of a people you conquered - and that's exactly what the Israelites did when they took the promised land. It was not handed to them peacefully, and one would be crazy to surrender one's home to an invading force. It was taken, by force. War is unfortunate, but it is not pleasant. It is never pleasant.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Well some people sadly try to use the Lord's word as a excuse to commit a evil act. Some even take what is mentioned in the OT to seriously such as the Ceremonial laws still being important when in reality they are done away with. However The Lords Ten Commandments are still very important which is shown countless of times in both the OT and NT. I feel that war is only necessary when its a situation like WW 2.

Most of what Deuteronomy covers is about the conquest of Cannan.
And keep in mind these people the Israelites went to war against were offending God.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby termyt » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 am

Gabriel 9.0 (post: 1209678) wrote:Well some people sadly try to use the Lord's word as a excuse to commit a evil act. Some even take what is mentioned in the OT to seriously such as the Ceremonial laws still being important when in reality they are done away with. However The Lords Ten Commandments are still very important which is shown countless of times in both the OT and NT. I feel that war is only necessary when its a situation like WW 2.

Most of what Deuteronomy covers is about the conquest of Cannan.
And keep in mind these people the Israelites went to war against were offending God.

I would tread lightly here. The OT laws have not been "done away with," but their purpose has been fulfilled. At this point, the difference is mostly semantical, but we do not keep the sacrifices and ceremonies because Christ's sacrifice and resurrection have fulfilled our requirements before the law so that we are made blameless in God's sight not because the laws no longer matter.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:23 pm

termyt (post: 1210280) wrote:I would tread lightly here. The OT laws have not been "done away with," but their purpose has been fulfilled. At this point, the difference is mostly semantical, but we do not keep the sacrifices and ceremonies because Christ's sacrifice and resurrection have fulfilled our requirements before the law so that we are made blameless in God's sight not because the laws no longer matter.

True, I was just referring to the ceremonial laws, I meant to type that they represented on how Christ died on the cross for us centuries later.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth