Negativity and the "I Can't" Factor

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Negativity and the "I Can't" Factor

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:03 pm

Most of us are guilty of this.

Our excuse is "I'm just being realistic, is all". We want to ready ourselves for disappointments and failures.

The thing is, if we focus on these things, we lose sight of our goals and we begin to look around at the storm and waves around us instead of looking towards Jesus. We also begin to develop a sour attitude, which will probably lead to depression and darker roads (God Forbid).

Of course, there are some goals we have to consider before pursuing them and an alternative course of action (Plan Xs, Ys, and Zs). However, dwelling on the negative "what ifs" sets you up for self-induced failure.

Hello? Remember Philippians 4:13--I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Yeh. So if you're saying "Oh, I can never draw like that", "I'll never become a good writer", "I'll never finish a story", "I stink at everything", "I stink at witnessing", etc., think about that verse. We all have spiritual gifts.

It's like--hello, the Creator of the Universe has your back--if it is in His Will, that is.

Just a random thought. If this is a mess of confusion, I apologize--my mind's all over the place.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby ADXC » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:40 pm

Yeah, and don't say to God how big your storm is, instead tell the storm how big your God is! Its good that you've addressed this problem, because I do think almost everyone deals with it sometime in their lives usually in their teen and young adult ages. Lately Ive been down, and its weird that we just had a bible lesson at school about trying not to have a low self-esteem of yourself, but also not to think to highly of yourself.

The word "can't" or words "can not" should be removed from the english language in some senses I think. Note Im not talking about impossible things like flying and such, Im just talking about the negative sense of the word. Just the word can't and other words like it are very depressing. They really have no use except to bring people down.

I also heard from the bible lesson that if you hate yourself, you are hating what God made you to be. So you are really despising God which is very bad. You've got to look at yourself saying "Man, to think the creator of the universe took the time to create me, and custom model too!"

Negativity doesn't do anything beneficial, it doesn't help the situation your in or the state of mind your in. Although yes, its hard to be happy when things look their grimmest, you just have to suck it up and live your life still believe the Lord will carry you through and He will if you let Him.
ADXC

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:05 am

Most of the time, it's because I've forgotten that God is big enough to handle anything and I've been relying completely on my own strength.

Instead of "I can't", it should be more of 'God can.'

But it's also important to make sure it's something God wants to do through you.
Mave

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 am

The thing to remember is "GOD'S will" of course it's silly to just say, "I can't do this because of whatever reason..." but the thing people have to ask themselves is WHY they WANT to do something.

Like for instance... why do I want to write comics? I know I CAN do it.. (with more practice and such) but WHY. If I'm not in it to give glory and honor to God, who has given me the desire, and ability (which I am still refining XD) to do so, or if I don't want to present a positive comic reading experience for people, then there is no reason to do it. (example used because I can't think of anything else at 5 am XD)

so while i think we shouldn't say I CAN'T..we should seriously pray and ask God what HE WANTS for US.

To many times we get over excited about what WE want...and we forget what God wants..

I hope that made sense XD
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby meboeck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:42 am

This reminds me of a sermon I once heard about Moses. It talked about how Moses was developing "cross-eyed(I'd)" theology. At the burning bush, God said "I will lead my people from Egypt," and Moses' reply was "Who am I?" I think a lot of times as we try to follow God's will, we wonder if we actually have the ability to do something. But If it's truly God's will, then He is the one who is doing it. So why is it called cross-eyed theology? Because it's not "I can't do it." It's "I AM can do it."
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth