Why are you a Christian?

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Why are you a Christian?

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:15 am

OK, here's a scenario for each of you out there to consider. Let's say an alien from a planet where Christianity wasn't as well-known were to visit our planet. What would you say to explain to this being why you are a Christian?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:13 am

I would tell him/her that I'm a Christian because I'm thankful and honored that Jesus and his father along with the Holy Spirit gave me another chance to live, and for protecting me, my mom, and bro and others I know throughout many trials, trial that seemed very hopeless. I feel its my duty as a follower of Christ to tell as many people as I possibly can about the true nature of God and to try my best to live accordingly to the way God tells us to live.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Postby Yokuo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm not going to explain it. I'm going to sit this alien down and show him the Word of God, starting with Genesis, the creation, the birth and fall of man, show him examples from the Old Testament of how he is a born sinner, reveal the 10 Commandments, then share the Good News of Jesus Christ, who came to die for our sins so God's wrath wouldn't be laid out on us.

And that very method will teach any new believer the fundamentals he/she HAS to know.
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Wow... I haven't been on here in like 2 years o_O

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
My rose is silver, instead of red!
Yokuo

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:09 pm

What if he doesn't want to hear a lecture?
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Dante » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:59 pm

I would say that I am a Christian because my experiences as a consequence of faith have proven to me as a human being that there is an entity given the name God whose existance is familiar enough with social sentient beings that he has and had the desire to befreind other entities. Furthermore, this entity does not deny but instead inspires within our experiences that the universe inclusive was derivative from his thought and inspiration and was created out of the desire to exist with other entities out of a need to love and be loved. For despite the fact that he defines reality, he cannot without contradiction create a reality in which is chosen to be loved by other entities without first creating other entities and second creating entities that can choose to love him. All sentient lifeform represent the sum of his aspirations.

However, despite this initial concept, choice cannot be predetermined and still be choice, therefore in creating freewill this entity also created the possibility of his creations rejecting him. While the general story of how this went down as a universe is not known, it is known that mankind past and present have and continue to reject the possibility loving this entity known as God. As all things have consequences, God made this universe a form of yes/no gate where those who loved him could continue to do so in a seperate existance called Heaven, and those who decided to not love him continued their existance in a place called Hell.

There is of course a whole list of negative attributes associated with choosing to reject God as in doing so you also reject his work and creations specific to him. This is particularly bad because we as a creation were built and designed to be dependent upon God as we areselves cannot create reality from nothing (it is assumed that this is the case on their world as well).

But all this aside, I am a Christian because I have chosen to love this entity because he loved me and manifested his existance within one of our own species around two thousand years ago in the form of a man who held the spirit of this entity God given the name Jesus Christ. So that my prior actions that stated that I chose to not love him at one point in my life (having not known him) could be forgetten and I would have a new opportunity to choose to love him and change the course of my entire existance. I believed that choosing to love God was the best choice for the rest of my existance as an entity because I feel that he created me and therefore built me with the intention of my loving him, and without fullfilling this love I will not meet my fullest potential as an entity within existance and I will meet with a lesser end then is optimal for me. Therefore, because I chose that I want to love God, I am a Christian, because through Christ I am able to better love and have understand the entity God, and only through his sacrifice could I have a second chance at loving God.

That is why I am a Christian.

That sound good? Wonder if I'm missing anything, anyways, any other ideas :).

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:34 pm

I would have to go for most of the classic arguments coupled with my own personal experience. That is, I would explain how I see the influence of God in the finely detailed engineering in every living thing, the existence of the universe itself and the principle of causality demanding a First Cause, plus the strong leading towards a Moral Lawgiver evidenced by the existence and proliferation of moral codes, especially those that promote self-sacrifice, because self-sacrifice is so entirely unnatural and foreign to a materialist [i.e. there is no supernatural] mindset. I would also explain the touch of God in my own life, such as my parents' love for me plus the love of others that I know I have not earned and have many times given reasons against; also, my own [albeit minor] miraculous experiences. To sum up, I would explain that Christianity, from my perspective, offers the most sensible answer to life, the universe, and everything . . . yes, even better than 42.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:07 pm

Raiden, you rock! Love the Hitchhiker's ref!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:24 pm

rocklobster wrote:Raiden, you rock! Love the Hitchhiker's ref!

Thanks! Now I just need to read Hitchhiker's Guide . . .

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby 12praiseGOD » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:23 pm

I would explain to the alien about my personal testimony and how GOD has changed my world around, then I would show him the Historical Document, which are quite frankly true, especially the 4 gospels I think because if you think about it. When you say the disciples that wrote the gospels were lying, then you have to look at what happened to them, 11 out of the 12 were crutially killed because in their belief that Jesus was the son of GOD; and by the way most of them were crusified. So when you tell me that they are lying then you tell me that They not only died for a lie..heres the catch...but they died knowing it was a lie. Now you wont find many people in history that died for a lie, knowing it was a lie. Anyways, I would give testimony of me, my family, and all other facts that I can think about to the alien.
[color="Red"]If GOD brings you to it, He will bring you through it.- unknown.[SIZE="3"][color="Magenta"][color="Red"][/color][/color][/SIZE]:angel:[/color]

[color="Lime"][color="Lime"]"GOD isn't sitting far away with a magnifying glass, but HE is an ever present GOD" -unknown :thumb:

-meaning he is with us all the time.[/color][/color]

[color="Magenta"]"If you don't trust your wings, you'll be caught in the mountain."-myself:angel:

meaning- "If you don't trust GOD, you'll be caught in the problem."- myself[/color]

[color="Red"]@)}[/color][color="YellowGreen"]-'-,[/color]

[color="Red"]"The farthest distance between a problem and a solution, is the distance between your knees and the floor."- unknown.[/color]
12praiseGOD

Postby Tyrel » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:48 am

There is no real short answer for that. That's like asking me what I'd tell my son, if I had one.

Fact is, I would first strive to understand their worldview, and then relate the message of truth to them in a way they could understand it. That's a problem, I find, which Christians even today face; we aren't sensitive enough to other people's paradigms, and worldviews. For example, the ancient Chinese saw the Cross as an offensive symbol. Thus, the intelligent Christians, learnt how to relate the Gospel to them, without shoving that image in their faces, while the unintelligent, simply fanatically waved crosses around, expecting the "unsaved" to "open their eyes".

This is not a unique example either. I find Christians are far too legalistic in their approach to understanding the Eternal Law.

So, I would, ideally, preach first and foremost with my life. Then, once I was more aware of how they see the world, and could thus fully respect their sensitivities, being thusly even better equipped to preach effectively, I would attempt to respectfully relay the message in a way they could relate and understand.

That is not to say that I am "relativist" in any way, nor am I complacent.
Tyrel

Postby marcjames07 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:18 am

Guys, the most efficient way of answering the question: "Why are you a Christian" is your own Testimony. How Jesus came into your life, the miracles that you have experienced and the renewal that has given to you. Upon seeing them your actions, the way your interact to them, the way you speak to them, becoming humble in the presence of them, they will notice a very big thing about yourself and they will end up a question, "Why is that person is different in the way that he denies himself for the sake of others?"

For me, thats the best thing that I will say when someone ask me that question.

Jesus Christ is the Answer!!

My Deviant Art :thumb:
marcjames07

Postby PSA374 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:20 am

marcjames07 wrote:Guys, the most efficient way of answering the question: "Why are you a Christian" is your own Testimony. How Jesus came into your life, the miracles that you have experienced and the renewal that has given to you. Upon seeing them your actions, the way your interact to them, the way you speak to them, becoming humble in the presence of them, they will notice a very big thing about yourself and they will end up a question, "Why is that person is different in the way that he denies himself for the sake of others?"

For me, thats the best thing that I will say when someone ask me that question.

I agree, this is the purest thing you can say about the "why are you a Christian?" question...

God bless always .:thumb:
"Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." - Psalm 37:4

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." - Jeremiah 29:11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13

PSA374

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth