Free-Will Versus Determination.

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Free-Will Versus Determination.

Postby Kura Ookami » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:00 pm

This is something i've been thinking about recently. Do we have free-will or are our actions determined by God or fate or karma or some other power?

Let's have a look at what they both mean

Free Will

Independence
Self-determination
Choice
Control over events
Furute is open

Determination

Dependence on an outsaide will
Self determined by fate
No control over events
Choices made for you
Future is closed

All the things I've listed under free will seem positive while the ones under determination seem negative. We all want to have endless possibilities and to have our own choices about what to do and when. We all want to be independant. We all want to be free. If determination is true, then your choices are all made for you, everything has been written in a plan before you were born and the future cannot be open. Emotionally, at least, free will is the clear winner.
Do we need to delve further into the question? In some ways we don't. If there is an invisible puppeteer, we might call him fate, or karma or God.then the strings he's pulling are also invisible.
However, as humans we want to answer the question and be certain that we're totally free, not just pawns who think we're kings. And that's why we ask the question and seek the answer.

Free Will or Determination? What do you think?
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:07 pm

I recommend uh... not debating XD

Kinda against the rules.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Same here. I'll be glad to discuss my views on IM.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Kura Ookami » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I recommend uh... not debating XD

Kinda against the rules.

You're right. How stupid of me.

How about people post to say they want to dicuss it via pm or im and then I'll pm them or they could pm me for the same reason?

[Quote=K.Ayato]Same here. I'll be glad to discuss my views on IM.[/Quote]

Sure, I'll im you when i've got time to talk. :)
Absence is to love as wind is to a flame. It extinguishes the little, it ignites the great.

Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been real life you would have have been instructed where to go and what to do.

When i argue with reality I lose.....But only 100% of the time.

Once you've decided on a course of action, only you can finish it. As long as you remember that, there's nothing you can't accomplish.
Kura Ookami

Postby Ashley » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:46 am

Yeah, seeing as this is pretty much a theological land mine, I'm going to go ahead and shut it down.

Kudos to all of you who called the shots right. ;)
Ashley

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth