Online Evangelism? Your thoughts & experiences...

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Online Evangelism? Your thoughts & experiences...

Postby himura_KAORU » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:22 am

I was hoping to get some feedback regarding this issue since I have never heard it discussed or found anything in the places I visit online about it.

I own an IRC chat room and 2 websites with forums that are all anime-based, so I regularly meet new people online and chat with them. The subject of religion eventually comes up with people who want to get to know me better. Just a simple "So what do you do for a living?" means I will be discussing Christianity. (I am a missionary appointee to Japan raising support so that's my "job" for now^^)

I have clearly shared the Gospel with several people this way and have had varied responses (just as I would irl) but I have never lost a friend or made someone upset as a result of sharing my beliefs with them. I have found that people are much more open to talk about God when they are chatting with you online. There is much less pressure and risk since they are not standing right next to you as you are talking. Of course, you never know if they are lying to you or not either^^

These discussions always take place in a private chat using a messenger program like Yahoo or AIM. These conversations happen naturally; I don't force them. I wouldn't start a religious discussion in a chat room or forum (except this one =P) since I have seen it done before and it never turns out well >.<

I want to hear other people's experiences and thoughts about this matter and maybe get some encouragement and fresh ideas for how we can share Jesus with those we meet! Jesus instructed His followers to share His story with those they met as they went about their lives.

With so many people in the world with online access today, why are churches not tapping into this as a ministry opportunity?
anata no kaeru basho...
TellJapan.com
himura-KAORU.com
himura_KAORU

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:34 pm

himura_KAORU wrote:With so many people in the world with online access today, why are churches not tapping into this as a ministry opportunity?

Mostly because, more often than not, religious discussions on forums erupt into debates. I've been in several myself, and they're no fun, and hardly good for witnessing. Perhaps the people you've met are more accepting and open, but the ones I met were very skeptical and pretty rude sometimes. XD; Perhaps if it were handled well, it could work.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby EireWolf » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

I used to frequent Christian chat rooms and forums where religious debates (with unbelievers and fellow believers alike) often got ugly.

These conversations happen naturally; I don't force them. I wouldn't start a religious discussion in a chat room or forum (except this one =P) since I have seen it done before and it never turns out well >.<

I think this is the key. People don't like to be preached at, especially if you know next to nothing about them. Far too many people have been told they're on the way to hell, by some well-meaning whacko to whom they didn't give permission to intrude. But if the person asks a question and the conversation progresses naturally and unforced-ly, :) they are much more likely to be open.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby himura_KAORU » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:42 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer"]Mostly because, more often than not, religious discussions on forums erupt into debates. I've been in several myself, and they're no fun, and hardly good for witnessing. Perhaps the people you've met are more accepting and open, but the ones I met were very skeptical and pretty rude sometimes. XD]

Yeah, thats why I have never attempted to have a religious discusion in a forum or chat room. >.< kowai~~ :(

What I am talking about is personal, one-on-one evangelism with ppl you meet online. I mentioned how I experienced this (using a messenger program to talk to one person) and I'm just interested in hearing if other ppl had ideas or their own experiences with sharing the Gospel with a person they met online.
anata no kaeru basho...
TellJapan.com
himura-KAORU.com
himura_KAORU

Postby Danderson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:34 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to comment....

I used to try some Evangelising on a Free MMORPG called Runescape (Don't play it any more). All you really have to do is just be there for people and treat them how they'd like to be treated. I would typically invite complete strangers to go fishing with me (or just converse with fellow fishers) and a lot of times I'd get into conversations about God with them...

And though most of those who I reached out to I never saw again, the experiance itself was amazing...With all the people I conversed with, what astounded me was how many people really are out there looking for something real...and they come to a fantasy world to look for it....

If anything I'm surprised that many chrisitians aren't tapping into the world of MMORPGs as a ministry outreach....
Danderson

Postby [GMOD]Vedicardi » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:34 pm

I've never tried it myself, but I've seen others try it. Most notably, the infamous Stickam user "Cyberman." Due to his large profile filled with information on his beliefs, he was basically ripped in half by 4-chan raiders, /i/nsurgents, YTMND users, and even some Gaians, as well as a bit of ED. I don't know. Myself not really being Christian, I do feel really... weird, when others start talking about god, in online video games like Guild Wars, or chat rooms, ETC. It kind of feels like they're trying to force their own beliefs down my throat.

...Well, there are my thoughts and experiences with the subject.
Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower.
[GMOD]Vedicardi

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth