Tale of the Four: a song.

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Tale of the Four: a song.

Postby uranium52081 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 pm

“Tale of the Four” as sung by the bard The Magnificent Steve.

Truth be told I’m growing old and my age is starting to show.
The first, the last, and all that’s past with this I will make known.
Once in this land there was a band whose deeds were all well known.
Their skills and feats were once replete to gain a king his throne.
Now today their thoughts are grey and bodies rusted through.
The king is dead and light has fled as from the dark side of the moon.
But in this retelling the light I am spelling like straw through the loom.
The gold will shine, bring hope to mine, and reconcile them from their doom.
So listen closely, pay attention mostly, and learn from these heroes four.
Each one has fought and thrown in their lot to keep us from Dark’s Evermore.

Sheila the Dagger was sharp with a swagger she wore black from head to boot.
The slice and the cut that slid blade through gut was the jack that aced her suit.
The spirits were mean in this boozy dark queen, as she oft proved without a doubt.
Her tender, it would seem, oft ended bled clean when they’d argue her tab’s run out.

Molly the Sweet was beautiful and brought heat she wore dresses every day.
Red was her cover with it she would color death’s thralls along her way.
Her gun in her hand she set fire to the land much to the darkness’ dismay.
Bullets explosive, and love her false motive, her kiss blew Dark’s heart away.

Michael the Swift was oft treated short shrift; he never seemed to make an impression.
No matter his act whether kind or without tact he never drew an ounce of aggression.
Slight of hand was his key; how can you catch what you can’t see? The darkness was soon undone.
Evil was blind to his plan, and snuffed from the land; his only regret was his deeds went unsung.

Joshua the Brute was clean with a suit though he never conceded to shave.
With knuckle and bone he made life his own and caused the darkness to shiver and waive.
He hated the slate for what it did to his mate; the Dark One tore her from his sight.
Each night he’d collide, kiss the ring from his bride, and swing blindly with all his might.

These travelers all brash, with each a wayward past, were broken as you and I.
The difference you must see was who they chose to be and chose to live instead of die.
Life can be long, and every strife make you strong; every step take you closer to bliss.
If you fight through the lies and seek to find with your eyes what everyone else wants you to miss.
For there is hope after death; you’ll see with your last breath: A land truly beautiful and eternal.
In this life you must cast, off the chains of your past whether paternal maternal or infernal.
The Four did the same; chose to live for His name instead of make one of their own.
The darkness they fought with gun, dagger, fist, and dark plot; the talents they took from home.

They went forth for the One who, it’s said, gave up his one Son so the world would be forgiven.
Into the gloom they crept, the only hope they dare kept was death wait till Darkness be driven.
Now distilled through time, the simple proof of this line can be seen in the opening of your door.
As you follow your feet the denizens that you meet neither bear horns nor writhe on the floor.
Their task borne complete the heroes four took their seat at the banquets of bright Evermore.
My hope dear friend, is you’ll seek Truth till the end and reside here with me, and the rest of the Four.
Whatever it demands seek to unsoil your hands and row hard for Light’s blithe shore.
With this I must depart: I love you with all of my heart and I’ll await you here in bright Evermore.
uranium52081

Re: Tale of the Four: a song.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:54 am

Nice. There's some really clever stuff here. My favorite line:

Sheila the Dagger was sharp with a swagger she wore black from head to boot.
The slice and the cut that slid blade through gut was the jack that aced her suit.

My only criticism is that the rhythm seems inconsistent, and some of the lines having more syllables than the lines before and after them interrupt the flow of the rhymes.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Return to Writing