NaNoWriMo 2013

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Re: NaNoWriMo 2013

Postby GeneD » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:30 am

So... started Nanowrimo today. A bit late I know. :sweat:

I have to do 3000+ a day, which is really a lot for me, so I kinda expect to die but oh well, gonna try anyway. I want to do at least 10 000 by the end of the weekend, ideally 5000 today and 5000 tomorrow but my family are already planning shenanigans to get in my way this evening...
GeneD

Postby Okami » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:23 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Congrats, Okami! I'm so jealous. This isn't happening for me. In the evenings, my jet lag makes it impossible to function well enough to write, and from the time I get up in the morning until evening again, I'm way too busy to write. Thus my semi-stagnant word count.

Aw, don't be jealous, Cece! YOU'RE IN FRIGGIN' JAPAN FOR CRYIN' :XD: You're doing stuff. And knew you'd be distracted by your trip... You started, and that gives you a lot more to say than a lot of people. How many others (CAA and NaNo not permitting) do you know who have written 25,000+ words this month? Or even more than 5,000? It's quite the accomplishment to be where you're at! :hug:

GeneD wrote:So... started Nanowrimo today. A bit late I know. :sweat:

I have to do 3000+ a day, which is really a lot for me, so I kinda expect to die but oh well, gonna try anyway. I want to do at least 10 000 by the end of the weekend, ideally 5000 today and 5000 tomorrow but my family are already planning shenanigans to get in my way this evening...

It's possible! :jump: 25,000ish of my words came within a three day spurt last week. 14k alone in one day (thanks in part to a manic episode, but I digress) with another 7k in the next and 4k was either the next day or the one prior to the first day. I don't remember.... :sweat:

Just truck right on through!~ I reached the 50k mark within 13 days*. You've got 14. Good luck! :thumb:

*It was more like ten days, as the first three I only wrote less than 1,500 words with Youmacon to distract me. I've since boosted my word count to be approximately 4,000/day! Just keep at it. You've got this!! :D
Okami

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Okami wrote:Aw, don't be jealous, Cece! YOU'RE IN FRIGGIN' JAPAN FOR CRYIN' :XD: You're doing stuff. And knew you'd be distracted by your trip... You started, and that gives you a lot more to say than a lot of people. How many others (CAA and NaNo not permitting) do you know who have written 25,000+ words this month? Or even more than 5,000? It's quite the accomplishment to be where you're at! :hug:

Thanks, Okami. :) I needed that.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Okami » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:31 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Thanks, Okami. :) I needed that.

You are very welcome, my friend!~ :thumb:

---

Oh my gosh guys! I finished my novel at just over 75,000 words tonight! :jump: I am so excited and happy. I truly love this story!
Okami

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:02 am

Congrats, Okami!! That's awesome! Good job. You'll have to share it with us sometime!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby QtheQreater » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:24 pm

I just committed the overdone and cliche act of blowing up planet Earth!

Anyone else have cliche or groan-worthy moments in their story so far?
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:42 am

Actually, I think my story is pretty cliche-free so far. But we'll see what happens as I run out of ideas. My entire story is kind of groan-worthy, though, because there's so much repetition. I think I have my character think too much.

ClaecElric4God

Postby Okami » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:17 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Congrats, Okami!! That's awesome! Good job. You'll have to share it with us sometime!

Perhaaaaps. :grin:

QtheQreater wrote:I just committed the overdone and cliche act of blowing up planet Earth!

Anyone else have cliche or groan-worthy moments in their story so far?

:lol:

Well, I was reading chapter one last night while waiting on an appointment and I basically toss the reader into a dark abyss right off the bat. :P

ClaecElric4God wrote:I think I have my character think too much.

Story of my novel! Though, that's LitFic for ya... :sweat:
Okami

Postby QtheQreater » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Done! The story isn't finished, but I'm not writing any more until after the holidays.

Sorry, Claec. I wasn't trying to kill you. I just like beating my opponents the old fashioned way: brutally! :brow:

Thanks so much for keeping me on my toes. I hope you aren't too burnt out now.

Lynna! Not long now! Keep at it!
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:24 am

That was a close one. I almost had you beat, but last night I stayed up till 1:00 chatting with my family, then this morning I was too busy to write. Ah well, it was a good fight. Congrats, Q. You've earned this victory. But don't let your guard down. Next year it won't be so easy. *ominous background music*
Well, now that the competition is over, I think I'm gonna slow down a bit and try to actually figure out what I'm writing for the next 4 days. I ran out of energy trying to keep up with that wild animal!
Thanks, Q. I had a lot of fun, even if I did lose. :thumb:

P.S. Don't worry, I'm the youngest of 8. I'm used to being brutally defeated. :grin:

ClaecElric4God

Postby Okami » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Congrats on winning, Q and Cece! Happy cake for you~ [^_^}o

As for me, I just finished the first overall edit to Caroline!

As I posted to Facebook, "Just finished the first edit of Caroline! Fix-ups of grammar/sentence structure issues, wording (sometimes little things like skipping a word mid-sentence or using 'that' when I meant 'the', etc.), and timeline issues when events didn't line up (I confused myself: Thursday became Friday, Saturday was Friday...Saturday was non-existent...um...) All in all, not too shabby for the initial rough draft! I am truly happy with the story I've written...that hasn't happened in years. ^_^ "

What I failed to mention there was that the initial draft only had ONE spelling error (not including my MC's name, Callias, the dog Jasper's shortened name "Jasp", or the way I spell per se/perse, "per çe") which was 'halt' spelled 'hault'! I'm not too surprised (I've always been a decent speller) but it's kind of like, whoa, really, only one in 75,000-odd words?! Alrighty then. :bootout:
Okami

Postby Banana Lobster » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Yay, I'm finally done!Cut it a little close there, but I did it! \^^/
Banana Lobster

Postby Winry » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Sadly, this is the first year that I have lost... but congrats everyone who won!! =D
Winry

Postby GeneD » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:00 am

Winry wrote:Sadly, this is the first year that I have lost... but congrats everyone who won!! =D

This, exactly.
GeneD

Postby Lynna » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Slow and steady wins the race...well, completes it, anyways. I got to 50k, and completed my story :) Of course, not half as fast as some of the other people on here...Okami do you type so fast?
Congratulations to everyone who won! And as for everyone who didn't, at least you tried, and sometimes life gets in the way. There's always going to be another year.
My story is an absolute mess, but I think I can make something out of it when I go back and revise it. I'm going to take a nice break in December, though ^_^
Lynna

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:59 am

Well, I didn't finish my story, but I only have a couple chapters left. I can tell there's going to be copious amounts of editing when this is over, though. That is, if I actually finish it. Right now I just kind of hate its guts. But it was fun. And I'm really glad I got to finish it, in spite of all the craziness of being in Japan.
I'm with you, Lynna. I'm definitely gonna take a break before I dive back into this.

ClaecElric4God

Postby Okami » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:30 am

Lynna wrote:Slow and steady wins the race...well, completes it, anyways. I got to 50k, and completed my story :) Of course, not half as fast as some of the other people on here...Okami do you type so fast?
Congratulations to everyone who won! And as for everyone who didn't, at least you tried, and sometimes life gets in the way. There's always going to be another year.
My story is an absolute mess, but I think I can make something out of it when I go back and revise it. I'm going to take a nice break in December, though ^_^

I'm not sure if your question is "Okami how do you type so fast?" or "Okami do you always type so fast?" or something else. :sweat:

If it's the first, I can say it's because I taught myself how to type. In sixth and seventh grade computer classes, while everyone else was slaving away at the 'blocked' keyboard pads learning how to type properly, I was being taught how to use the keyboard as a left-handed user due to my mild Cerebral Palsy (I was supposed to get a left-handed keyboard, which never happened) - everyone else was also super jealous I didn't have to use those stupid keyboard pads. :lol:

Being SO frustrated by the homebase (FGHJ) and having to keep fingers on those keys while reaching up with the pinky finger for, say, Q or 1, or my index finger for P or 0, I decided "Screw this, I'm going to teach myself to type!" because it was sooooooo slow... and now I use my index fingers and left thumb primarily to type - faster than most people using "normal" typing. :XD: People watching me type are usually amazed (I go between watching the keyboard and the screen, depending on if I've lost my place on the keyboard or have paused in thought) and it's pretty darn funny knowing how it got to be this way.

If it's the second, yes, I do always type this fast. I liked getting my work done in high school and college as fast as possible to move on to the next assignment/project. Though I've only written this much in a month once before (100,000 words in NaNo 2011), I actually hated the result of that project - it was basically one big angsty journal of how my life sucked. So this is the first time I get to celebrate having done so much in a month and enjoy the end result. :thumb:

And hey, congrats on winning! (Same to the other winners I didn't catch, and even those who didn't "win" - you have something written you didn't a little over a month ago; good job to all!~) It's always nice to dive back into the project. I dove back in for NaNo 2010 and haven't really looked back until now. The revision and editing stage is daunting and fun!

ClaecElric4God wrote:Well, I didn't finish my story, but I only have a couple chapters left. I can tell there's going to be copious amounts of editing when this is over, though. That is, if I actually finish it. Right now I just kind of hate its guts. But it was fun. And I'm really glad I got to finish it, in spite of all the craziness of being in Japan.
I'm with you, Lynna. I'm definitely gonna take a break before I dive back into this.

Haha, I think we've all had copious amounts of revision to do. That's what happens when you word vomit a novel in a month! (Even mine has had some very rough edges to sand down, despite my lack of spelling errors). I've had to trim and rewrite and rework sentences and buff it all out, and it's already looking to be a much nicer novel than the original. I can't wait to get to a point where I'm happy enough with it to go forward with printing (I'm taking Lulu.com up on their free hardcover offer, for sure!)
Okami

Previous

Return to Writing