NaNoWriMo 2012

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Postby Okami » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:03 am

Somehow I managed to make it to 15k, writing 2,000 words yesterday even despite Youmacon. XD I don't expect a real chance to write today, however.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Psycho Molos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Okami (post: 1595821) wrote:Somehow I managed to make it to 15k, writing 2,000 words yesterday even despite Youmacon. XD I don't expect a real chance to write today, however.

I heard on FB that some people there insulted Chris Ayerrs' girlfriend... Wonder if you've seen any crappiness...? (added u on Insta, btw(

As for the topic (LOL) of course my bad first night off the blocks and my slackitude caused a fall behind but today I found some gems in one sourcebook so I just transplanted them into the research notecards on Scrivener with a note to revise later, like changing names, dialogue, reporting style, viewing angle, etc. since one happens to be an on location news report and another is comm traffic between space warcraft.

So essentially I did get caught up with little effort, however effort would be needed to change the copying into my vision of what went on and away from overt plagiarism. :wow!::grin::XD:

.....now I wonder why was I upset when I should've remembered my sneaky inborn talent used in years past? :P
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby eightluvver888 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Well, I'm already a bit behind... Ack, I really intend to catch up, though.
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby QtheQreater » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:54 pm

7k later, and a plot is born! Yay! I was wondering if that would actually happen.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Lynna » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm going at an okay pace... Though far below what some of you have. I want to have time to think about things a little, so that when it comes out, it somewhat resembles a story.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Okami » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Psycho Molos (post: 1595866) wrote:I heard on FB that some people there insulted Chris Ayerrs' girlfriend... Wonder if you've seen any crappiness...? (added u on Insta, btw(

Well, 1.) I wasn't looking out for anything crappy, as I was trying my hardest to avoid the negative. 2.) This was my first Youmacon and 3.) This was only my second con ever. So, I was there to enjoy myself and spend time with friends I haven't seen in a few months. :)
And thank you.

Back on track - I only wrote 2,500 this weekend total. Still not tracking with where my novel's going or what's even going on right now. XD There is a plot loosely in place, but I'm not sure where it's headed.
Okami

Postby Atria35 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm so stuck =.= I wanted to write a historical fiction, but I realized that I know nothing about the time or place that my idea happens in, nothing except the glimpse I caught of the setting as I drovepast it on my move. Should I go into major study overdrive? Or should I just forgo NaNo this year?
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Study overdrive!

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby QtheQreater » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:09 am

mechana2015 (post: 1596040) wrote:Study overdrive!

I second the motion!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 pm

To elaborate more, I'm writing a book set in 1922, and I'm pretty much having to write with google open and Skype on to do moment by moment research checks.

Some of my more recent searches have included:

Elevators
Egyptian names
Maps of NYC c.1922
Crime Scene procedure in the 20's
Crime Scene Photo in the 20's
Guns of WWI

And I'm far from done. I've got several pages of outline still.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby eightluvver888 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:54 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1596110) wrote:To elaborate more, I'm writing a book set in 1922, and I'm pretty much having to write with google open and Skype on to do moment by moment research checks.

Elevators
Egyptian names
Maps of NYC c.1922
Guns of WWI

...Alright then.

I'm doing a little better now, and I managed to get one of my friends to start one! Hopefully she'll stick with it, as I don't think she knows what she's getting into.
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby QtheQreater » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 pm

At 9k and calling it a night. Yesterday, I was too tired to write, so I watched Darker than Black instead (yay). Daylight Savings Time is not so fun for parents of small children; toddlers don't get the "sleep in" idea at all. Meh. I'm going to have to pick up the pace to mostly finish before Thanksgiving craziness.

mechana2015 (post: 1596110) wrote:To elaborate more, I'm writing a book set in 1922, and I'm pretty much having to write with google open and Skype on to do moment by moment research checks.

Elevators
Egyptian names
Maps of NYC c.1922
Guns of WWI

So I take it elevators were an interesting part in the roaring twenties?

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Okami » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm

I've learned that I can get about 500 words hammered out in 10 minutes if I'm focused. Sadly, I don't typically have that sort of attention. I think I got about 2,000 words out today or something like that...eh...I'm just trying to figure out where to go next so I can make it over to my next main point. XD;
Okami

Postby Lynna » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm also at 9k. So far so good-- But soon, I'm going to have to make action kick in. A lot of it. And plot, yes. I feel like I'm finally beginning to understand my MC. Now whether I will be able to keep understanding her and have her become believable, I'm not sure.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
Lynna

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 pm

QtheQreater (post: 1596173) wrote:
So I take it elevators were an interesting part in the roaring twenties?

I had to check if elevators were even around in the 20's (they were), and then if they had attendants or buttons (attendants).

Edit - more research overdrive stuff:
-Egyptian Mythology
-Police Radios
-Italian Names
-Radio History

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby QtheQreater » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 am

mechana2015 (post: 1596182) wrote:I had to check if elevators were even around in the 20's (they were), and then if they had attendants or buttons (attendants).

Edit - more research overdrive stuff:
-Egyptian Mythology
-Police Radios
-Italian Names
-Radio History

Egyptian mythology always seemed pretty depressing to me. Most of the gods were, at some time or other, in de Nile. *ba-dum-tish*

Sorry about that.

Going to have any bits involving the Harlem Renaissance? It's awesome cultural backdrop material for the time and the place...

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 am

I'm hoping to later, the Harlem Renaissance is such a huge part of the 1920's backdrop in NYC that I really want to include it in some fashion.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am

Some of what I wrote today seriously makes me cringe, but it's NaNoWriMo so I can always edit it in December. I did managed to get a day ahead of schedule though, which was my goal for today so I'm pretty happy about that.

[SIZE="6"]Reminder: back up your novels![/SIZE]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 am

One of the biggest things I'm having to juggle actually is the lack of communications technology. No cell phones or police radio system means the characters are a lot more isolated than in anything else I've written. It's very interesting to figure out how they stay in touch with each other.

I'm cringing at some of the parts I'm rushing through as well. >.< I guess that's what editing month(s) will be for.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:39 pm

GeneD (post: 1596238) wrote:Some of what I wrote today seriously makes me cringe, but it's NaNoWriMo so I can always edit it in December. I did managed to get a day ahead of schedule though, which was my goal for today so I'm pretty happy about that.

[SIZE="6"]Reminder: back up your novels![/SIZE]

Thanks for reminding me. I bet I would have forgotten for a while, and then the day before the contest ends, I would have been like, "OH SHOOT, I FORGOT TO BACK MY NOVEL! AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :comp:
Zeldafan2

Postby Lynna » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm actually writing my novel on google drive, so backing it up is somewhat less urgent for me...
I hit the 10k mark today.
Lynna

Postby QtheQreater » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Broke 10k today despite being a puddle of sick and running a temp. Woot? Behind after such a good start. Oh well.

In the ill-fated words of Jurgis (Upton Sinclair's main character in The Jungle), "I will work harder."

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Okay, with absolutely no time to study, I'm going to write my way through and make things historically correct later.
Atria35

Postby GeneD » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:31 am

Atria35 (post: 1596409) wrote:Okay, with absolutely no time to study, I'm going to write my way through and make things historically correct later.
I approve of this method.

I was really not in the mood to write yesterday but I decided I wanted to at least write a little and then I just carried on till I made quota for the day. I'm feeling more positive about today's writing.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Okami » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 am

I'm hoping to make it to the halfway point today. Wanted to yesterday, but that bombed when I decided I needed to spend some time researching and starting one of my papers due next week. School is finding itself to be very much in the way right now. >.>
Okami

Postby tronethiel7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:55 am

Don't think I will take part in this, as I wasn't aware of it until now. Plus, though I think I have somewhat of a knack for writing I've only done it here and there for papers, poetry, and a short story with years in between. However, I've always wanted to write a fantasy novel, especially one with christian undertones! I applaud you all for your dedication to writing.
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby QtheQreater » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:14 pm

13k and calling it quits for tonight. Made up some lost ground today despite the fever. I'm wondering how much my being sick has influenced what I've written; some of it seems rather humorously morbid upon review.

Okami (post: 1596460) wrote:School is finding itself to be very much in the way right now. >.>

Kudos to you, though, Okami. I don't think I could ever have even thought about participating in nano during school. That's just hardcore.

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Cianter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 am

Ugh, you guys are all doing so good! With moving, (overseas, so much worse than moving within a Country!) work, saying goodbye to friends, the whole final out thing (it's a VERY annoying military thing involving cleaning our house for twelve hours straight-_-) and of course school, I've not even hit 8,000 yet! Boy am I jealous :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby Okami » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:36 am

QtheQreater (post: 1596602) wrote:
Kudos to you, though, Okami. I don't think I could ever have even thought about participating in nano during school. That's just hardcore.

Hey, you're writing while sick! I don't think I could do that, either. :P

I honestly think it's because I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one - otherwise I wouldn't think to be at halfway and still in the same location I began in...or the one character that got about 500 words worth of cameo (I'm guessing) hasn't shown back up yet, and as much as I want to cut back over to her for a time, I haven't been able to make the transition happen naturally.

Blaaaah. That and I'm dealing with personal issues right now. I don't know how I'm still writing this thing with that going on... :eh:
Okami

Postby tronethiel7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 am

Okami (post: 1596664) wrote:Hey, you're writing while sick! I don't think I could do that, either. :P

I honestly think it's because I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one - otherwise I wouldn't think to be at halfway and still in the same location I began in...or the one character that got about 500 words worth of cameo (I'm guessing) hasn't shown back up yet, and as much as I want to cut back over to her for a time, I haven't been able to make the transition happen naturally.

Blaaaah. That and I'm dealing with personal issues right now. I don't know how I'm still writing this thing with that going on... :eh:

Hey, if you ask me, let the issues into the book, nothing better than a little real life tragedy to inspire a good word.
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Previous Next

Return to Writing