NaNoWriMo 2012

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

NaNoWriMo 2012

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

For those who've never heard of it, November is National Novel Writing Month! There's a fantastic websiteto help those who want to get started. The goal? 50,000 words in 30 days.

I know a lot of us participated last year. So who's prepping up to do it this year? I'm going to be starting a new story than last time, and have been looking for inspiration from the Random Fantasy Novel Title Generator. I've also bookmarked Write or Die, since I know I'll be needing it!
Atria35

Postby Okami » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:45 pm

I...might be. Possibly. Potentially. With Youmacon and a wedding I'm in though...sketchy I will be able to make time alongside my coursework load. I have a few scattered ideas for making a backstory to my OC, Okami, though, which I have always wanted to flesh out. We'll see. :)
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Lynna » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm in again this year! I'm going to write something I haven't written before- An Urban Fantasy! I've been thinking about it a bit for a few months, but I haven't structured out a plot. I intend to make it up as I go! I can't wait!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Winry » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 pm

I'll be participating again this year =D I'm pretty excited about my story idea this year. We'll see how it goes...
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 pm

I am in. And like Lynna, testing a bit of a new genre...

Historical Sci Fi! Science fiction set in the 1920's, though more likely than not it's going to resemble Historical Urban Fantasy unless you look really close, or I get fancy.

My real challange though is designing a mystery and having my charachters solve it.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:25 am

It's possible, depending on work. I'm considering doing the purest NaNoWriMo I've ever done: new world, new characters, nothing written, ideas less than a month old.
uc pseudonym

Postby GeneD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:49 am

I'm in. This will be my third year. I'm not doing much planning since I want to revisit the train-wreck that was my story from last year. So my prep is to not look at any of that mess. I still like the story and I've had some good ideas about the characters but last year's execution was just terrible.

I did win last year though and used the 50% Scrivener discount, so that's cool

How's everyone's planning going? Are you doing any? I have exams this month and my last one is on the 31st so I probably won't get to it. If the last two NaNo's were anything to go by it seems that I write easier when I don't plan.

Also the title of this thread is incorrect, it's NaN O WriMo. Clearly my inner editor is going to be making attempts on my life in November.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Courseload and other business willing, I'll participate as well. I guess it's the year for trying new things, since I'll be writing in a new genre (very scifi, hopefully some comedy will work its way in there) with some significantly different inspiration (some childhood pastimes). I'm pretty stoked. \o.o/

Since it's speculative fiction, I'm working on building as much of the world as possible beforehand. I've had the backbone of the world and my main characters down pretty well for a while, but I'm hoping to spend October laying down some concrete rules, boundaries, locales, and history.

If I'm feeling inspired maybe I'll find some exercises to help me get better at description as I'm writing so my first drafts aren't so bare, but I think that particular pursuit of improvement is just going to have to wait.

EDIT: How have I never checked out Write or Die before? Just bookmarked it since I have a feeling I'll need the extra help this year.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:09 pm

GeneD (post: 1592460) wrote:Also the title of this thread is incorrect, it's NaN O WriMo. Clearly my inner editor is going to be making attempts on my life in November.

Er, that is an 'o' in the thread title :eh: I think your inner editor might be a little tired :brow:
Atria35

Postby GeneD » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:58 am

Atria35 (post: 1592542) wrote:Er, that is an 'o' in the thread title :eh: I think your inner editor might be a little tired :brow:
Mech fixed it after I posted. :)

Write or Die scares me but I found a friendlier variation: http://writtenkitten.net/ which rewards you with a cat picture after every x amount of words. I haven't actually tried either before so maybe this year I'll see which one works best for me.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:31 am

^ The only thing that should scare you on Write or Die is the Kamikaze Mode. That is terrifying. The Normal Mode's 'most unpleasant sound' can range anything from the Banana Phone song, to a phone ringing, to a violin playing.

The other nice thing is that you can actually set your own time limit and word count, so if you need to rush then you can put out the maximum amount of words you can in the shortest amount of time you can.
Atria35

Postby Cianter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:05 am

So glad a thread was made for this! This will be my first year participating in this, and though I'm excited, moving overseas right in the middle of November IS going to make this hard, but hey, maybe I'll be able to do it anyways;) I'll be finishing my second book, which is the second in a series, then working on the first book of ANOTHER series, and maybe starting the third book of the first series. I'm just hoping I can get the lead out, I once wrote a little ver 200 pages in a month, but i haven't been able to do a whol lot of writing lately, so I guess I just have to get myself going again before then, haha:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Cianter (post: 1592600) wrote: I'm just hoping I can get the lead out, I once wrote a little ver 200 pages in a month, but i haven't been able to do a whol lot of writing lately, so I guess I just have to get myself going again before then, haha:)

I've actually been pretty successful at starting full-speed on November 1st and keeping it up throughout the month.

Extra writing will never hurt you, though. :>

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm torn on what to write about. The first thing I'd like to do is a story about a town that rose and fell with Route 66 (yes, inspired by my recent trip across the country). The other is start writing about my family. I mean, my grandma is 92 years old! That's a huge amount of story-worthy information right there!
Atria35

Postby Banana Lobster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Why have I not posted in this thread until now?? :XD:

I'm going to try for NaNoWriMo again this year, (Did it last year, worked out well, can't wait to start this year :)) but like last year, I'm going to use THIS version, where you can set your own goal instead of the regular 50,000 words one. (but you have to be younger than 18 to join up)

As of yet, I have NO IDEA what my story idea will be. Maybe I'll take an idea I haven't worked on for a while, and throw a new twist into it? Probably come up with something completely new though. :P Oh well, I have the rest of the month to figure it out!

I've bookmarked Write or Die, as well as the Random Fantasy Novel Generator, though the second one will most likely be used for laughs, haha. ;)
Banana Lobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 am

Atria35 (post: 1592675) wrote:I'm torn on what to write about. The first thing I'd like to do is a story about a town that rose and fell with Route 66 (yes, inspired by my recent trip across the country). The other is start writing about my family. I mean, my grandma is 92 years old! That's a huge amount of story-worthy information right there!

The solution is to smash the two ideas together and throw in a wizard.

: D

FllMtl Novelist

Postby eightluvver888 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 pm

It's been a few years, but I think I'll do NaNoWriMo this year. :) Unfortunately, I'm very indecisive and easily bored with what I write about if it's all constant like that. My solution-that-hopefully-will-work: I'm going to use a main character in a random situation, write for a while, then once I get bored I timewarp/teleport/howeverIdecidetoexplainit the character to a different situation. That way, don't have to decide on a specific genre and I can write about whatever I feel like at the time. And maybe even sneak in a few of my English papers. XD
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 pm

eightluvver888 (post: 1592771) wrote:It's been a few years, but I think I'll do NaNoWriMo this year. :) Unfortunately, I'm very indecisive and easily bored with what I write about if it's all constant like that. My solution-that-hopefully-will-work: I'm going to use a main character in a random situation, write for a while, then once I get bored I timewarp/teleport/howeverIdecidetoexplainit the character to a different situation. That way, don't have to decide on a specific genre and I can write about whatever I feel like at the time. And maybe even sneak in a few of my English papers. XD

xD That sounds like a whole lot of fun!

Some people do anthologies of short stories, which is also an option. Nothing says you only have to write one story out of it.

The solution is to smash the two ideas together and throw in a wizard.

... That sounds amazing. I will have a slowly-aging wizard live in a now-desolate ghost town that was once a main stop on Route 66, and he will look back on his life.

I don't even know how that will work, but it will.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Atria35 (post: 1592772) wrote:xD That sounds like a whole lot of fun!

Some people do anthologies of short stories, which is also an option. Nothing says you only have to write one story out of it.

This is something like what I did my first time, actually. I finished a story that was a book in my head (but turned out to only be about 11,000 words), and spent the rest of the month writing shorts and scenes from other stories still in development. It's a completely acceptable way to rack up 50,000 words.
... That sounds amazing. I will have a slowly-aging wizard live in a now-desolate ghost town that was once a main stop on Route 66, and he will look back on his life.

I don't even know how that will work, but it will.

Ahahaha, awesome!

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Banana Lobster » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:32 pm

eightluvver888 (post: 1592771) wrote:It's been a few years, but I think I'll do NaNoWriMo this year. :) Unfortunately, I'm very indecisive and easily bored with what I write about if it's all constant like that. My solution-that-hopefully-will-work: I'm going to use a main character in a random situation, write for a while, then once I get bored I timewarp/teleport/howeverIdecidetoexplainit the character to a different situation. That way, don't have to decide on a specific genre and I can write about whatever I feel like at the time. And maybe even sneak in a few of my English papers. XD

That sounds sooooo cool. If you do it that way, you can do whatever you want! XD
FllMtl Novelist (post: 1592739) wrote:The solution is to smash the two ideas together and throw in a wizard.

My reaction? = Lololololol
Banana Lobster

Postby AdriTan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 am

I will! :) one of my friends here is doing so also and bough I've never heard of it before today I want to! Haha yes I be the noob.......

Anyway I have the same username there as I have here. :)
Love Momma Flower @}~~,~
AdriTan

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Oh right, I'm Tsifira on there, in case I buddy anyone new without warning.

And 'nanaLob you should totally do the original NaNoWriMo because I know you could do it and I want you on my buddy list. :<

FllMtl Novelist

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:21 pm

So today is nano Prep day according to the nanowrimo website...

So what are you doing to prepare, or are you preparing at all?
Outlining, research, nothing at all since you plan to write a seat of your pants book?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby eightluvver888 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1593447) wrote:So today is nano Prep day according to the nanowrimo website...

Outlining, research, nothing at all since you plan to write a seat of your pants book?

No planning here! 'Twill be my downfall someday.

November is going to be so messed up and busy for me. XP We have a guest at our house for like two weeks, so I get to give up my room and move to the basement, then my b-day is on the 6th, then I have my driver's test and the extensive practice beforehand, and finally we have Thanksgiving, which I'm sure will entail some sort of celebration. I'll definitely need more than one shove to keep going...

Um, and my username is Deverouxxx there.
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby Cianter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:20 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1593447) wrote:So today is nano Prep day according to the nanowrimo website...

No planning for me either. I'm just kinda go with the flow, lol. Though, I suppose planning on/working on finishing my book might count, hahah:) But yea, crazy month for me too. My birthday is on the 3rd, we are moving on the 12th, and there are a ton of things that go along with that, hehe. But I've been writing like 2,000 a day, so I should be fine ^_^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="DarkOrchid"]Yes, I'm a girl. I push doors that clearly say PULL. I laugh harder when I try to explain why I'm laughing. I walk into a room and forget why I went in there. I count on my fingers in math class. I try to accomplish things when there is still time on the microwave. I lie sometimes to hide the pain. I say it's a long story when it's really not.[/color]

[color="Yellow"]When you're home alone: 10%-Say "who is it" 64%-Look through the peep hole then open it if you know them 25%-Open the door 1%-Crawl around on the ground like a ninja and look through the window very quietly to make sure it isn't a masked murderer. I'm that 1%[/color]

[color="Red"]I'm so talented I can fall up stairs, trip on flat surfaces, and get hit by parked cars XD[/color]

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Cianter
Cianter

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Since my project is really interviewing my grandma, I can't do much besides sectioning out things to ask her about (family, travel, food, the home, her marriage, etc)

But sectioning that out requires a good amount of thought.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm doing some incredibly intense hemming and hawing at the moment since I got an email about a deadline extension for a short story contest I'd thought about entering last month. Not sure where to prioritize. xD On the one hand, I'll really want the extra background worldbuilding come November, on the other hand, it'd be nice to really finish a short story...

FllMtl Novelist

Postby QtheQreater » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 pm

I participated last year and didn't make the word count. Still, it was a good experience. This time, since I know I'll have more fun without planning, I've decided to do nothing until November 1st after I've had my morning coffee.

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1593497) wrote:I'm doing some incredibly intense hemming and hawing at the moment since I got an email about a deadline extension for a short story contest I'd thought about entering last month. Not sure where to prioritize. xD On the one hand, I'll really want the extra background worldbuilding come November, on the other hand, it'd be nice to really finish a short story...

Would finishing a short story give you extra confidence for November? Could be a win-win if you don't think you'd burn out too fast.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Lots of no planners...
I'm planning because I find it easier to roll out a story when I have definate points to hit, and a decent idea of who the charachters are before I start... I'll find out more as I go along but I need some planned spots before hand, and my setting will require some serious research.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Winry » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Uh oh. Only about an hour more of Prep Day left. I better go do some sort of planning!

Last year I didn't give much thought before November, and it didn't turn out that great. The year before I did a lot of planning, and that made Nanowrimo much more enjoyable for me. So this year, I have/will do some outlines, etc.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Next

Return to Writing