NaNoWriMo 2011

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Yup. Nothing previously written can count towards the 50,000 words for this year. So you can continue a much longer novel each year if you wish, so long as you start fresh on wordcount each time.

Of course this is all self policed so it's really up to you.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby GeneD » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:58 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1508940) wrote:Thing is, I like working in one universe, and I don't want my universe to be the property of that website in any respect...
There are even instructions on how to use MS Word to "encode" a copy of your novel so that no one could possibly read it. It's basically just turning all your letters into a single letter each, eg. every letter is turned into an "a", but the "words" are preserved and so for example "aaaa aa a aaaa" will be counted as 4 words. If that makes sense.

For anyone writing short stories or starting in the middle of an existing story, that technically makes you a NaNo Rebel.
the NaNo rebel forum wrote:I'm writing a series of unrelated essays/short stories/vignettes. Am I a rebel?
I'm writing a memoir/biography/guide to Europe/creative non-fiction. Am I a rebel?
I'm continuing last year's NaNO, or another work I've been writing on before November. am I a rebel?
I'm writing a script. Am I a rebel?
I'm writing a video game/drawing a graphic novel/poetry/music. Am I a rebel?
For all of these the answer is Yes. However, it doesn't mean that you are not allowed to use the site or are a cheater or anything like that. It just means you are working a little outside the box. ^__^
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Yeah, nobody's gonna know if you're writing something you've already started unless you tell them and if you tell them, they probably won't care.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby GeneD » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:42 am

I was a NaNo Rebel last year without even knowing it. ^__^ I was writing something I'd already started. I think the rebel thing is just actually a way of saying that you can really write anything you want and everyone is welcome, even if they are going about it a bit differently than the norm.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Hawkeye53 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:25 pm

There's Wrimos here!?! *Does happy dance* Yay!

My username over there is ZoraSkywalker over there, so just look me up. (I'll add the link later). This will be my sixth year participating in NaNo. I've won in '06, '09, and '10 and looking for a win this year, as well. :D

Right now I can't seem to decide between working on the Royai 100 (100 short stories about Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye from Fullmetal Alchemist), a Final Fantasy VII fanfic, or one of two original fantasy ideas. Either way I'm looking a good, fun month of insanity. XD
Hawkeye53

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:05 pm

I guess I was a NaNo rebel last year. That's a lovely way to glorify my poor planning. XD

Hawkeye, do post a link for your profile. ^^ I don't know how to search for users, or if there's even an option to.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I've never felt so enticed about cheating the system. lol. I suppose if I started with an outline, it wouldn't be as much of the rebellious thing as would having started writing the actual.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Popyman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:15 am

Anyone else not like the new site right now? I logged in for the first time since last year just now and my profile picture was gone, the friend list feature is down, all sorts of stuff. It boggles my mind that they would do a site re-design so close to November, especially considering how the site crashed for DAYS last year (and continued to run slow for several more once it was working again). Is this a common trend with NaNo? T_T
Popyman

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 am

They're on a pretty tight budget, so more often than not, they do run a lot of updates right before the main event, merely because that's when they were able to afford the deadline.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:41 am

I'm not too thrilled about the new site either, but it's still a work in progress. Maybe it will get better.

I'm MightiMidget here --> http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/mightimidget
MightiMidget

Postby Okami » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 am

My first paper is in, a second paper will be in on Thursday (already finished and printed), another paper was cut in half...which leaves me with about approximately 35 pages left to do...significantly less, now.

With six days to commencing this project, I still have the same thoughts as before on what I would like to write on...but I've also thought of spinning it as a journal of sorts, capturing my own thoughts on where I've been in the past and how it's affecting me in the here and now throughout the month of November. Maybe a bit of both...in any case, I would really like to take the time to write as a stress release through the month, since these last three main papers are huge (two Psych papers alongside my capstone OT Theology paper!)

Here's my profile. I know...it's kind of dull right now. XD;
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:38 pm

I just had the crazy thought to work on two stories this month, meaning a total goal of 100k. I have another one I could do--an old story I'm reviving from my high school days. I have my word count goals down; I'd just double the numbers.

Or I could do 50k of one and 20k of the other.

In any case, I'll be writing a paper that's due on the 2nd over the weekend so I won't have to worry about it.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Psycho Molos » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 pm

For those that aren't linked to me from other years (though I saw they had redone the website and are migrating buddies(

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/ultraman1973 here I am
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:45 am

Well, we have about two days until this thing starts. Because I'm trying for 100k, I'm scrambling to knock out most of my November homework this weekend. It's going pretty well so far.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Winry » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:27 am

100k that will be quite impressive. I really need to take these next couple of days to do some brainstorming or somehting or else I am going to be in trouble this month. Last year I had my story pretty well layed out in my head and still barely made it to 50k before times up. This year I have a vague idea of a story but with not much too it yet. Well, it should be an interesting November....
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:58 am

Added a whole bunch of peeps. =) Looking forward to tackling November with you all.
MightiMidget

Postby Popyman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:02 am

Added you all! I think I did anyway, might have missed someone. =P
Popyman

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 am

It Has Begun.

I'll get right on it once I'm out of class and have finished my homework! :)
Atria35

Postby ebonyrose » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 am

Waaaaaaah. ;___;

I wanted to do it SO badly this year, but mother dear kinda forbade it. ._. It's my first semester in college, and I've got 4 classes that need finishing. Also, I have a job now. Maybe next year. (Anyway, I'm still editing mine from last year. Good times.)

Best wishes to all. <3
This shall be updated when I decide that I have something interesting enough to say! Until then, let's watch this little smiley guy slam his head into a wall!
:bang:
Hehe... that's way too amusing...
ebonyrose

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm kind of upset they don't have the word count widgets ready. Those were really cool to see last year.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:18 pm

Hopefully they'll have those in a day or two... I liked them too!

Anyhow... I've got about 940 words ATM, so I'm doing OK. I'm hoping I can really surge ahead and pull several thousand a day for the first few days so I can relax and not worry too much about word count later. I'd rather avoid last year's debacle.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby GeneD » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 pm

You have to admit that was pretty epic though, mech.

I have STRUGGLED through my first day and as much as I'd love to get more done today, I think I will be satisfied with reaching the daily mark for now. My first scenes seem horribly flat to me, but at least they are done and I can move on now. Best of luck to everyone still finishing up their first day.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:24 pm

It's 4:30, but I think I'm done for today. I hit 2,883 words, and I think I'm pretty happy with that. Rushia beats everyone- I ust checked, and she has over 5,000.
Atria35

Postby Okami » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 pm

I just clocked over 5,000. Gotta go to class now, but I plan to continue later. :D
Okami

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:54 pm

I got over 3,000, which is a good first day. Really the thing that made me stick the most was, I wasn't sure what POV to do the second chapter in. XD
GeneD (post: 1513209) wrote:You have to admit that was pretty epic though, mech.

Seconded.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Atria35 (post: 1513211) wrote:It's 4:30, but I think I'm done for today. I hit 2,883 words, and I think I'm pretty happy with that. Rushia beats everyone- I ust checked, and she has over 5,000.

Haha, as of this very moment it's over 6,000 and close to being over 7,000. My super overachieving goal of awesome was about 13,400, but I don't think that's happening, so I'll settle for trying to pass 10k before midnight.

I'm definitely loving my first story, Ligature Wars, to pieces. Elements is going okay, but it's definitely the rougher of the two. Oh well.

Okay, two hours. Time to keep writing LIKE A BOSS.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Okami » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Just clocked past 8,000....and with that beyond me and a massive headache, I'm going to bed. Goodnight, fellow WriMoers.
Okami

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:29 pm

1670 on the first day; I'm ahead of the average, at least. I'm debating writing more each day, because I have other things I'm doing this month (like looking for a job, not being able to write on Saturdays...). So far, though, this is looking pretty doable as long as the inspiration keeps up. Congrats, everyone, and good luck tomorrow!
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby airichan623 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:40 pm

I did 300! I'm behind!

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:02 pm

7,527. I was distracted by trying to find my friend on tonight's episode of Conan.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Previous Next

Return to Writing