NaNoWriMo 2011

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

NaNoWriMo 2011

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Let the madness begin.

So, who's in this year? Link your profiles, talk strategies, and report your progress in this thread.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/450050

This year, I'll be writing a somewhat tongue-in-cheek fantasy story in which everything is related to typefaces. It should be pretty fun.

I'll also be attempting this while balancing school work and figuring out some career options and other developments in my life. I should be able to win again if I do it like this:

Week One

Day 1: 3346

Day 2: 3216

Day 3: 3101

Day 4: 2986

Day 5: 2872

Day 6: 2757

Day 7: 2642

Week Two

Day 8: 2527

Day 9: 2412

Day 10: 2298

Day 11: 2183

Day 12: 2068

Day 13: 1953

Day 14: 1838

Week Three
Day 15: 1724
Day 16: 1609

Day 17: 1494

Day 18: 1379

Day 19: 1264

Day 20: 1150

Day 21: 1035

Week Four

Day 22: 920

Day 23: 805

Day 24: 690

Day 25: 576

Day 26: 461

Day 27: 346

Day 28: 231

Week Five

Day 29: 116

Day 30: 1

What about the rest of you?
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Okami » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm hoping to do 'WriMo again this year...however, between October 25 and December 12 split between five classes I have research papers that add up to approximately 70 pages due......so it might just not happen. If I do get to writing for myself, I would like to write a book based on a paper I wrote last year for Developmental Psychology on the treatment, ministry, and healing of self-harm...which is what two if not three of my research papers will be based on. So no novel this time around...but my creative juices towards my major and ministry are running wild so I might as well go with it! :lol:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm in for this again. Gonna try to see if I can follow or exceed LR's strategem.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Oh man, I am so psyched. 8D

My outdated profile:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/704241

This year I'm writing the sequel to a YA fantasy book I wrote earlier this year. Neither has a real title because I am lame like that. XD But it's going to be pretty awesome. :3

Especially since I seem to have roped my sister into doing the YWP. :D

Like last year, I'll probably shoot for doing a little over the recommended daily word count, and do extra when I get time.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Popyman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow, that strategy of yours is really interesting! I might have to give that a shot. It's not like it can mess me up, I could just resort to the usual minimum number of words for a day if I couldn't keep up with it.

But yes, I love NaNo and will be doing it again this year! Last year was my first time and it was the most fun I've ever had writing. This year, I'm going to use it to finish my current book that I hope to get published. I've been stuck on it for ages but NaNo will be a fantastic way to force myself through it and get the freaking thing done with. XD

EDIT: Oh, and my profile is here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/683262
Popyman

Postby Winry » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm hoping to dgoodo it again this year. Last year was so fun! I don't have a idea of what I am going to write yet, but I have a whole month to figure that out =)

Here's my profile... Winry's Profile
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Welp, now that I'm out of college and have nothing better to do until I find a job, I might as well puke out stuff on paper until then! It's my first time doing this, and I've always wanted to give it a try. Bring it on, I say.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:36 pm

A'ight, I think I have you all added to my list.

Mech, the strategy I posted is for hitting 50k specifically, but you can change up the math to figure out word counts for a bigger goal. I ended up finishing six days early last year using it, so I think it works pretty well.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Finishing early would be good. :D

By the bye my user name is animetedskier still.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:28 am

I've always wanted to try this, and this year I've decided to do just that. I will have to set aside a different writing project, but I can pick that one up again. Off course, I have no idea how exactly this works, but I'll browse the site when I get a chance. Do you hang out there, post your word count, or what?

Edit: Well, here I am. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm

I can't say much for what I'll use the site for this year yet, since they're changing the design of the whole site in about a week (Oct 10th). In the past I've used it to track my friend's status and confirm word counts, and to read the forum for silliness or suggestions if I was lagging.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Edward » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm planning on doing NaNo this year. I'll be writing a fantasy story. Though how I'll balance that with playing Skyrim and doing other stuff, I don't know. I'll figure it out.

Anyway. Here is my profile. My general strategy is to just write as much as I can and try to get the word count goal. I'll probably have to do some extra writing since I go out of state for Thanksgiving and won't be able to write.
Edward

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope I manage it. I've made an account just in case. I'm sure I'll have a few days to work on it.

My profile- and hoping I remember to do it!
Atria35

Postby Lynna » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:51 am

If I have the time, this will be my first year in NaNoWriMo. I can't wait! I'v been thinking a lot about my plot and characters over the summer.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:59 am

Favorite pep talk so far? Lemony Snicket's. I'm feeling the urge to write. Too bad it's not November yet!
Atria35

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 am

I am very, very excited for this! I've been counting down the days for about a month and a half now.

I have about 3 different story options that I could tackle this year, but I am beginning to lean towards one of them. I'll post my profile when the new site is up on Oct 10th. Last year I finished about 3 days in advance but I still don't think I'll be able to adopt Rushia's writing plan.

A friend of mine and I are planning to hold our own Night of Writing Dangerously all-nighter since we can't attend the official one in San Francisco.

Q1. Did any of last year's winners use any of the prises besides the internet buttons? I used the free book copy from CreateSpace to send myself a printed copy of my unedited novel. Just for fun really, since the story isn't really finished and I've been meaning to edit but never got around to it. I'd also like to use the Scrivener voucher but Scrivener for Windows isn't out until end Oct. Although I suppose I could get the Beta before then.

Q2. How are you all planning your projects? Are you like me who has a vague idea of the characters and beginning of the story and then just writes and sees where the story takes you? Do you plan out everything from the start?

I don't really remember the pep talk's well enough to have a favourite, but I do know that most of them made me want to go check out that author's work.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm using all of this month for pre-writing. I have all my characters and places written down (in Scrivener. I love this program to pieces) so now I'm in the process of creating an outline. Hopefully, this will minimize writer's block.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Seems tempting, but I'm going to take this time to write stuff I've already started.

Good luck to all of you!
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm

GeneD (post: 1508438) wrote:Q1. Did any of last year's winners use any of the prises besides the internet buttons? I used the free book copy from CreateSpace to send myself a printed copy of my unedited novel. Just for fun really, since the story isn't really finished and I've been meaning to edit but never got around to it. I'd also like to use the Scrivener voucher but Scrivener for Windows isn't out until end Oct. Although I suppose I could get the Beta before then.

I didn't... I'm sort of kicking myself for not using the print code for CreateSpace actually.

GeneD (post: 1508438) wrote:Q2. How are you all planning your projects? Are you like me who has a vague idea of the characters and beginning of the story and then just writes and sees where the story takes you? Do you plan out everything from the start?

I try to do some planning, but leave the story open to run. This year I've sketched out some charachter outlines and plot points or scenes I'd like to hit on as I go. I also happen to be writing a story I attempted previously and failed HORRIBLY at.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:20 pm

GeneD (post: 1508438) wrote:Q2. How are you all planning your projects? Are you like me who has a vague idea of the characters and beginning of the story and then just writes and sees where the story takes you? Do you plan out everything from the start?

I'm going to *finally* kick-start the book I've had the first chapter written for since about 7th grade. I have no idea where to go from there. I think actually being forced to sit down and write will get the brain juices going.
Atria35

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:10 pm

When I first decided I was going to do this thing, I really didn't have any idea what I was going to write, and was hoping that I'd figure out something with a bit of time. It turns out that night that I had a dream that gave me a starting point, and now I'm outlining the characters. After that, though, I don't have much to go on plot-wise apart from a vague outline. My plan is that, since the story is about family members who probably haven't seen each other in a while, their interactions will give me something to fill that out.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Popyman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1508514) wrote:Seems tempting, but I'm going to take this time to write stuff I've already started.

Good luck to all of you!

You can still enter NaNo. It doesn't matter if it's a story you've already started, you just have to write 50,000 NEW words.
Popyman

Postby Lynna » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 am

I wonder, does it all have to be one novel or can you work on two and then submit both works as one? Because I'm torn between starting this new novel and finishing the one I'm currently on
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am

I know one person on my friends list is doing a series of short stories? I think that's up to you in the end really. I personally try to stick to one story for the sake of hitting the novel threshold, but thats just the way things usually work out when I write anyways.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Buddied y'all.
Atria35 (post: 1508404) wrote:Favorite pep talk so far? Lemony Snicket's. I'm feeling the urge to write. Too bad it's not November yet!

Oh my gosh, I loved that one to pieces last year. XD
GeneD (post: 1508438) wrote:Q1. Did any of last year's winners use any of the prises besides the internet buttons? I used the free book copy from CreateSpace to send myself a printed copy of my unedited novel. Just for fun really, since the story isn't really finished and I've been meaning to edit but never got around to it. I'd also like to use the Scrivener voucher but Scrivener for Windows isn't out until end Oct. Although I suppose I could get the Beta before then.

Q2. How are you all planning your projects? Are you like me who has a vague idea of the characters and beginning of the story and then just writes and sees where the story takes you? Do you plan out everything from the start?

-Nope. I don't think I even used the web badges. XD

-I have a vague idea of beginning, climax, and aftermath/epilogue. I've also got a couple of events that have to happen in-between, but I don't know the order yet. Right now, I'm figuring out who my characters are, backstory, world-building, and which characters I get to kill off. (In the first book of the series, I killed off approximately 60% of the cast by the end. 8] I'm kinda morbid.) I used to make more detailed plot outlines, but as I've written more, I've been doing more discovery writing, and it's worked pretty well so far.
Lynna (post: 1508714) wrote:I wonder, does it all have to be one novel or can you work on two and then submit both works as one? Because I'm torn between starting this new novel and finishing the one I'm currently on

The only real requirement is that you write 50,000 words during November. They can be from any project. Poems, scripts, a billion short stories, fanfiction, or practically anything else is fine, so long as you're not copy/pasting stuff from any previously existing works (e.g., Wikipedia, ff.net, stuff you wrote months ago). For example, last year I wrote a bunch of scenes and short stories from two unrelated projects, and a complete draft of a third project. So anything goes, as long as it's fifty thousand words and original.

Advice: If you're going to finish something you've already made progress on, or anything other than a typical one-project attempt, makes notes as you go to clearly label what project each portion belongs with.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Maledicte » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm

GeneD wrote:Q2. How are you all planning your projects? Are you like me who has a vague idea of the characters and beginning of the story and then just writes and sees where the story takes you? Do you plan out everything from the start?

I tried my project last year as a collection of short stories (and failed), but now after letting the characters and plot points simmer for a year I think I have enough to bump it up to a full-fledged story. I know the basic character arcs and know where I'm starting and where I'm ending.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/402406
Maledicte

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 am

Well... I've wanted to do this for a while, and I may, actually, be out of a job on November 1st, unfortunately... I REALLY hope this wouldn't last a month... Hmm... Should I?

Thing is, I like working in one universe, and I don't want my universe to be the property of that website in any respect... I

I'll get back to everyone, but it really seems interesting. Has any participant ever become a published author? I doubt a one month novel is going to have the kind of polish needed to publish, but has anyone just said "This has loads of potential. I'm going to do something with it."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Atria35 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:50 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1508940) wrote:I'll get back to everyone, but it really seems interesting. Has any participant ever become a published author? I doubt a one month novel is going to have the kind of polish needed to publish, but has anyone just said "This has loads of potential. I'm going to do something with it."

Water for Elephants is the most famous published book to come out of NaNoWriMo. There's also Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen. You're right in it wasn't perfectly polished and did need editing, but it was published and is a pretty famous book. They also have no rights or whatnot over your book- it is your property period.
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Thing is, I like working in one universe, and I don't want my universe to be the property of that website in any respect.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/402670

The only way you're "submitting" to the website is to validate your word count. None of the people running this actually see what you've written and they don't own any of it.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Popyman (post: 1508595) wrote:You can still enter NaNo. It doesn't matter if it's a story you've already started, you just have to write 50,000 NEW words.

According to http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/hownanoworks
Start from scratch. None of your own previously written prose can be included in your NaNoWriMo draft (though outlines, character sketches, and research are all fine, as are citations from other people's works).
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Next

Return to Writing