Outlining

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Outlining

Postby Edward » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Okay, so I was thinking of doing NaNo this year, and I have a half-formed idea in my head, but I don't know how I should go about outlining the plot. Can anyone give me some tips and perhaps give me some helpful links?

I've seen Dan Well's lecture on story structure on Youtube, and there should be some writing excuses podcasts to help me, but does anyone know of some things not mentioned in them? Thanks.

And some help with world-building or character design (especially the latter) would be appreciated too.
Edward

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm in a similar bind. Going from story conception to story outline is a long process for me, because I essentially have to wait for enough of the story to put itself together properly in my mind, and figure out just what kind of story I want to tell. I've listened to the fascinating seven-point structure lecture, so I know what I don't have, but beyond that it doesn't help me fill in those spaces. I don't know of any surefire ways to get it all done in x days, but there are some things I do to try to help it along and fill in more blanks:

I draw my characters. I get a better vision of them in my head, and as I draw I can just space out about him/her. (Definitely will not work for everyone. XD)

Or you can listen to music that you think is awesome/gives you chills. Depending on the song, it can send your brain off in new directions.

Make a document for every story for random conversations, scenes, and whatever's been rattling around in your head that you aren't sure will actually turn up in the finished product. (And heck, even if you are sure, you can go ahead and write it anyway.)

Look at whatever actions you plan on having your characters take, and look closely at their motives. Are they plausible? If not, either make them do something else, or figure out how to make that action reasonable.

Talk to other people about aspects of your idea. For example, if trains are important to your story, find someone you can chat with about trains, why they're cool, and what they can be used for. Someone who knows more about it than you do is probably preferable.

Focus on world-building. Who makes the laws in your world? Are there different races, and how do they all treat each other? How does a child become an adult? Answering these questions can lead you down new lines of thought.

Same with character. What was this character's childhood like? (They don't all have to be tragic.) How did his parents get along, and does that affect him at all? What makes this character different from other members of the cast? Why does he want what he wants?

Basically, do whatever you have to to make the gears turn in your head. What does that will vary person to person. You just have to try a lot of things until stuff works.

As for help with world-building and character design, The_wolfs_howl linked a really, really awesome series of articles ("rants") a while back: http://coyotecult.com/communities/sfandf_critters/references/limyaael.php Just scroll down and read the ones relevant to your work. (Note, while the rants are wonderful, the person does have iffy content in her writing. She gives more detail on her profile, under bio, so look at that first.)
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Return to Writing