By Cunning and Craft, sound advice and practical wisdom for fiction writers

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

By Cunning and Craft, sound advice and practical wisdom for fiction writers

Postby Destroyer2000 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:45 am

I found this at Books A Million yesterday, for a dollar. I highly recommend it to any fiction writers out there. Written by Peter Selgin, this book contains a lot of sound advice. I snagged it from the sales thing, and figured it coudn't hurt...turns out it's a treasure trove of information, and encouragement. In the first six pages, I found this passage:

"Don't chisel perfect sentences into stone, or try to. That's no way to write a first draft. Don't even think that you're writing; think that you're dancing, or conducting a symphony, or chasing moonbeams, or soaping windows. ...Be guided by rhythms, hues, textures, game theory, astrological charts, whim. Be bold, be devlish; be outrageous. Forget about readers; tickle yourself."

It's great. Just figured I'd pass this along to anyone that was interested.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby acgifford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 am

I like that quote very much.^^ I think I will apply that advice to my own writing. Thanks a ton Destroyer.
[color="Lime"]"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"]Psalm32: 1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.[/color]
Proud member of MOES!! You better believe I have no scrolling.^_~
[color="Blue"]Doctor Who fan!! [/color]:jump:
[color="Yellow"]"Dare to read, think, speak and write." John Adams[/color]
[color="Pink"]Proud Member of the SisterHoos! ^^[/color]
[color="Red"]Vash the Stampede: I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds.[/color]
acgifford

Postby bakura91 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Cool I'll have to check that out, I aim to become a writer someday myself and Ive had 2 fiction Ideas kinda floating around but Ive never wrote any fiction before. I'm looking more into journalism so all my writing skills are in non-fiction (I wrote in my School newspaper 2 years, worked on school yearbook, and writing in my own private journal) But I would Love to learn some tips on how to write good fiction!
bakura91

Postby seaglass27 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm

I suck at writing fiction. If I ever had to write for a living it would be on history or theology.
seaglass27

Return to Writing