Need some help killing an OC.

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Need some help killing an OC.

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun May 22, 2011 6:55 am

First off, I'm not very knowledgeable about biology and technology...or the term for the combination of the two. So, if anyone knows of some reading material...that maybe wouldn't bore me to death (haha), please don't hesitate to recommend. :>

My first idea of killing off my character, who is an overweight savant, was to put some pico-bots (nano-bots, only smaller) in his brain and then the picobots would cause him to jump head first out of a 12 story building from the 5th floor. Then, I scrapped that idea after my dad suggested that I make him run around the office and then his head explodes. After almost a year, I decided to change it to his brain melting because of the pico-bots overheating his brain and causing it to melt... but now I'm wondering if that's even possible. All I know is, he has to die by something happening to his brain because of those pico-bots. If anyone has advice, a suggestion, or idea...I'd be much appreciative to you. :>
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun May 22, 2011 8:38 am

I don't think a brain could melt, but if the picobots were concentrated in an area and got hot enough, it might cause a burn. Eventually, enough brain cells would be killed off to kill the entire brain, or at least important parts (for example, it could shut down the part of the brain that controls breathing).
Or maybe they end up causing a toxin to spread throughout the brain? I guess it depends on the type of toxin as well as the picobots actually carrying it.

It does sound like a science fiction, so there's room to stretch the truth. If it sounds believable, it should be fine.
Ante Bellum

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:43 am

Flesh and organs can't really melt. And I can't really see a logical reason for them to cause a head to explode, either, since they probably would have been thoroughly tested to make sure they weren't explosive- and if they're that small, unless they were incredibly numerous you wouldn't have an "explosion" like your father suggested anyway- they would just end up destroying the brain matter as they popped off. The effects would only be seen inside the skull.

Honestly, I would need to know what those pico-bots are in his body for in order to give you a suggestion. Are they messing with his brain, somehow? What exactly is their purpose?

EDIT: Plus, this is in the wrong section. It should be in the writing section.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:21 am

Moved to writing.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Maledicte » Sun May 22, 2011 11:31 am

They can overheat his brain to the point of death, like concentrated heat stroke. His brain doesn't have to melt or anything dramatic like that, unless that's what you were going for.
Maledicte

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun May 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Yeah. I'm going for realistic rather than, "OH THE RULES?! WELL I HAVE FICTION ON MY SIDE SO I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT EVEN IF IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!" lol Movies and books like that tend to annoy me a bit, but books I tend to be a bit more forgiving...because the plot better be pretty dang interesting for me to even keep reading. lol

What the picobots are suppose to do is to act as parts of the brain that are suppose to be considered dead or impared. For instance, if a person has short term memory, the picobots act like a storage area for memories thus the person can remember like a "normal person." Although, if the person can't move their limbs because of a stroke or an accident, three different types of picobots will be inserted into the person, muscle memory picobots, spinal picobots and brain picobots (The names aren't going to be like that but I haven't thought up something clever yet. :B). After all three have been given to the person, they should be able to move those limbs as all the different types of picobots send and receive messages to do as the thinking part of the brain would like them to do. Pretty much they're the cure-all potion...with a side-effect of possible DEATH. :>

I think that's about it...

mechana2015 (post: 1480509) wrote:Moved to writing.

Thanks for correcting that Mech. I wasn't sure about where to put it. @_@
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Okay. So what are they acting as in your character? Why does he have these pico-bots?

EDIT: And have you done any research into the anatomy and how the brain works? Because it actually really benefits if you thoroughly know what you're talking about when you write about medical effects and how these machines affect the brain.
Atria35

Postby Esoteric » Sun May 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Some sort of immune response could cause fever/infection/death in a small number of patients, like organ rejection.

Might mess with brain chemistry and trigger degenerative or plaque disease in the vein of Alzheimer's or prions. You could tailor early stage symptoms to paranoia/schizophrenia and have the person become delusional and jump out window like first idea.

Could cause stroke/hematoma/aneurysm in small number of patients.

Not flashy deaths (except for the window one), but realistic.
Esoteric

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun May 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Atria35 (post: 1480546) wrote:Okay. So what are they acting as in your character? Why does he have these pico-bots?

EDIT: And have you done any research into the anatomy and how the brain works? Because it actually really benefits if you thoroughly know what you're talking about when you write about medical effects and how these machines affect the brain.

He's the first (secret) test subject of these little things. They're suppose to help with his disorder.

No, I haven't done much research into the anatomy and how the brain works. I don't even know where to be begin searching...or what exactly I would be searching for. Any suggestions of where you think I should begin my search would be awesome of you.

*seriously regretting not paying attention in biology class in high school*

Esoteric (post: 1480553) wrote:Some sort of immune response could cause fever/infection/death in a small number of patients, like organ rejection.

Might mess with brain chemistry and trigger degenerative or plaque disease in the vein of Alzheimer's or prions. You could tailor early stage symptoms to paranoia/schizophrenia and have the person become delusional and jump out window like first idea.

Could cause stroke/hematoma/aneurysm in small number of patients.

Not flashy deaths (except for the window one), but realistic.

*taking in all this information* *A* SO INFORMATIVE!

c.t.,girl

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm

c.t.,girl (post: 1480563) wrote:He's the first (secret) test subject of these little things. They're suppose to help with his disorder.

No, I haven't done much research into the anatomy and how the brain works. I don't even know where to be begin searching...or what exactly I would be searching for. Any suggestions of where you think I should begin my search would be awesome of you.

*seriously regretting not paying attention in biology class in high school*

Eosteric has some seriously good ideas there. As for the brain and anatomy, you wouldn't learn that much in HS anyway- if you even went into human anatomy and physiology. I wish I knew a good online resource for it, but I took classes in college ><" I do suggest Googling, and I can help you out in a few places since I still have my notes and my text.
Atria35

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun May 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Perhaps they begin to fail and his brain, having become dependent on them, can't cope. Doctors realize that the pico-bots have replaced more of the brain's functioning than was anticipated, and the character begins rapidly developing Alzheimer's-like symptoms. Soon, the events also spread to muscle control. One day, he's out eating lunch, and a large batch fail. Disoriented and confused, he wanders out into traffic and is hit by a bus.

Or is that too tragic?
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun May 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Actually, I like that.
Ante Bellum

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Atria35 (post: 1480572) wrote:Eosteric has some seriously good ideas there. As for the brain and anatomy, you wouldn't learn that much in HS anyway- if you even went into human anatomy and physiology. I wish I knew a good online resource for it, but I took classes in college ><" I do suggest Googling, and I can help you out in a few places since I still have my notes and my text.

lol again where to begin? @_@]Perhaps they begin to fail and his brain, having become dependent on them, can't cope. Doctors realize that the pico-bots have replaced more of the brain's functioning than was anticipated, and the character begins rapidly developing Alzheimer's-like symptoms. Soon, the events also spread to muscle control. One day, he's out eating lunch, and a large batch fail. Disoriented and confused, he wanders out into traffic and is hit by a bus.

Or is that too tragic?[/QUOTE]

HURGH SO MANY GOOD IDEAS! *u* You guys are awesome!

c.t.,girl

Postby Kerusso » Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm

This thread Nate started might help a bit.
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=58945
Heaven is only Heaven because God is in it.

[color="YellowGreen"][/color]There's only one good thing about Mary Sues... they don't exist in real life.

Forcing religion, or any ideology for that matter, down someone's throat, is not that different from doing the same with a physical object: it's an unpleasant experience to the recipient, who will likely dislike you for it afterwards.
Kerusso

Return to Writing