Story Boarding

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Story Boarding

Postby Seto_Sora » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Hullo y'all! o.o/ Just so you know, I am still working on writing an American Manga. I'm pretty determined. Anyway, I'm changing my approach. I used to outline and then write from beginning to end (probably the best way to never finish a story). Anyway! I have come to fix this! With..., wait for it,... STORY BOARDING!!! Except I need to learn. Anyone have experience with SBs? Anyone have any advice on where to turn for to learn?

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Esoteric » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 pm

PatrickEklektos (post: 1473477) wrote:Hullo y'all! o.o/ Just so you know, I am still working on writing an American Manga. I'm pretty determined. Anyway, I'm changing my approach. I used to outline and then write from beginning to end (probably the best way to never finish a story). Anyway! I have come to fix this! With..., wait for it,... STORY BOARDING!!! Except I need to learn. Anyone have experience with SBs? Anyone have any advice on where to turn for to learn?

SDG

...Technically speaking, a manga or comic IS a storyboard. The same art skills are required for both] it[/I] the comic, but if you're really interested in storyboarding, this person's portfolio offers some good examples of it:
http://www.thestoryboardartist.com/Site/Film.html
Esoteric

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 pm

If you want to draw a comic, I don't recommend storyboarding it first as you'll probably experience some major burnout. Maybe try thumbnailing?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby R86 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:29 pm

I'm thinking Patrick does mean something like thumbnailing, or roughing out the comic before drawing it "for real," or something like that. I'm interested in this process too since I am thinking of trying it for the first time myself. I always went straight from the script to the "for real" pencils.

I wonder whether this is like what they were calling a "name" in the recent anime Bakuman? It looked to me like a really rough, loose, sketchy draft of the comic, just to establish page layout, camera angles, placement of speech balloons, and so forth. I can see the advantage of this as perhaps one doesn't get too committed to a particular approach before starting the "for real" pencils.

In any case, I'm interested to hear more from others who know more than I do on this subject. Which would be practically everyone. :)
R86

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah, I've done quite a few.

This helps. To know how to make a proper story board, you need to learn cinematography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematic_techniques

Hope this helps
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Seto_Sora » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm

R86 hit it, thats exactly what I was talking about. Thanks man.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:54 pm

PatrickEklektos (post: 1473477) wrote: I used to outline and then write from beginning to end (probably the best way to never finish a story).

Actually, that's what I do most of the time, and it's how I make sure I finish. It's a "different strokes for different folks" thing.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Return to Writing