The Greatest Excuse

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

The Greatest Excuse

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:37 am

The Greatest Excuse

Short Story

Continually Underconstruction

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dear woman, whom I've come to respect for the short time I have known you...

You ask me but a simple question; and yet, my answer can not be told in a mere five words. This tale is difficult for mere mortals to understand; had I not experienced it, I wouldn't believe it. However, seeing as there is no other alternative in this situation, I will tell you my story...

I remember it all as clear as day, it was a Thursday afternoon when I had first set foot outside my home, to pick up groceries for my dear sickly mother, who had a horrible case of the flu. She was bedridden and sent me to the nearby pharmacy to pick up a small case of pain killers. It was only three blocks away, a normally ten-minute walk that changed my life forever. As I made my way down the road on my bike, I noticed that the entire street was barren of people. There was not one single soul besides my self, not even my angry neighbor's little chihuahua who took a fondness of going for my heels specifically for merely walking in her direction. I didn't hear a bird chirp, nor the an insect buzz as I continued to go down the road.

I was completely alone, I noticed.

The first that came to mind was that everyone was maybe at work, or maybe perhaps there was an event going on that I didn't know about. Nonetheless, my priority was to get my mother's pain killers and nothing more.

I ignored the eery environment around me as best as I could as I continued to pedal forward. As I pressed forward; however, I felt a sudden feeling of fear began to surface in my gut. It had just arosen from nowhere. I stopped pedaling and looked around one more time.

There was no one.

I looked around for good measure and just continued to pedal forward.

Not too long after I passed the fourth block, still not a single person in my periphary vision, a heard a small vibration in my ear whichseemed to gradually grow. I stopped pedaling immediately and searched frantically for the source of the sound, which grew louder and louder to that of the volume of an airplane, but it was much more foreign; I couldn't describe it.

I still did not see anything, absolutely anything.

As the feeling of fear began to grow more and more, I put my feet back onto the pedals and began to go as fast as I could away from the sound. However, the sound merely increased in volume to near painful levels as I went forward. I began to grow more confused; was the sound coming from in front of me? Where is it coming from? What was is coming from? I searched to my left; only a few neighborhood houses. I searched to my right; a deserted parking lot next to the park. I gulped as I began to slowly turn my head to behind me. I merely saw the darkening skies and the endless asphalt. I looked back forward as the sound was nearly deafening, only to see the same skies and asphalt.

Suddenly, I looked up.

Above me, was a monstrous-looking mechanical disk of a great size. A purple behemoth with claw-like tentacles stretching from each angle of the circular object. A menacing entity marked by alien marks that I had never seen before.

It was a spaceship...

Before I could swallow my tongue in shock, I saw a mechanical claw extend from the side of the ship and begin to reach down straigh for me with an astounding speed that left me nearly breathless when it wrapped around me. The feeling of vertigo overwhelmed me when I felt myself ascend into the sky as a tiny hole began to open from the bottom of the ship. I screamed to the top of my lungs, but with no one around to hear my shouts for help, it did me no good.

As the claw lifted me higher and higher, I felt my panicking heart beat faster and faster, and soon, I fainted as I was brought into the dark abyss of the spaceship.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Return to Writing