Weird question.

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Weird question.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Okay, so I really need some input and feedback, but I simply do not have the time, desire, or skill required to critique other peoples' writing. Does anyone know of any place to go to get input without having to give critiques in return? I mean, I just want to know if what I'm working on is any good. I don't want to have to play editor just to get feedback.

It's also entirely possible that I'm just a selfish jerk.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:21 pm

That's hard, since many people vary in opinion on what is good or not. It's also hard to find people who do things for free, at least on a regular basis. I wouldn't say you are a selfish jerk, your an author. Editors are authors who don't have time to write but get paid more. XD
Otherwise just post your work here in the writing section and ask for a critique. It may take a little time but usually people will oblige, esp if you ask someone directly. Unless you want somewhere other than CAA. I don't know of any place like that, but I'm sure someone does.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Esoteric » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1463782) wrote:Okay, so I really need some input and feedback, but I simply do not have the time, desire, or skill required to critique other peoples' writing. Does anyone know of any place to go to get input without having to give critiques in return? I mean, I just want to know if what I'm working on is any good. I don't want to have to play editor just to get feedback.

It's also entirely possible that I'm just a selfish jerk.

Hmm, not really unless you want to pay an editor (not advised). I mean there are places like Devart, or web forums like this one, or creating your own blog, but you'll have to settle for random voluntary feedback in such places. But one strategy for possibly increasing the odds of getting feedback is to search for forums dedicated to your particular genre. For example, if you write space opera stories, you're much more inclined to find volunteers to read your story on a forum populated by people who enjoy space opera fiction. I dunno, might work.

Possibly check out writing.com, they work on a point reward system in order to encourage feedback (and you earn more points by critiquing other people's stuff), but I think you can just post stuff and not 'gift' points for reading it. I always get lost on that site so I don't know much else about it.

But yeah, most critique circles for 'seriously aspiring' writers use a give-and-take system because that way it's fair, and like you they aren't inclined to spend precious time evaluating other people's stuff without some worthy incentive. I know it can seem like a hassle to critique other people's stuff, but it's actually not a pointless exercise--it's possible to learn quite a bit, particularly if the other writers are of a similar or better skill level.
Esoteric

Return to Writing