[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5092: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5092: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5094: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5097: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5097: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Help for how to write book, movie, anime, etc. reviews? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Help for how to write book, movie, anime, etc. reviews?

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Help for how to write book, movie, anime, etc. reviews?

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:21 pm

I was unsure whether to put this in the review section, or the writing section, but since I am wondering how to really write a review in general? I decided to put it here.

I've been curious for a while on what the tips, techniques and general structure is of writing a movie, book, anime, etc. review. Whether for reviewing content, quality or both. So if anyone can help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm flying blind. :/
MightiMidget

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:41 pm

It varies from person to person. Look at any two review sites, and they will have completely different formats. One of the best things you could do is look at a few sites and figure out what kind of format you like. And as for writing, follow by example. I try to make notes as I watch something if it catches my eye or interests me.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 pm

I haven't written a real review for anything, but I notice that regardless of the overall opinion, reviews tend to discuss the good things separately from the bad. (That is, they don't talk both pros and cons in the same paragraph.)

I haven't read a whole bunch of reviews, but those that I have seen and remember do that. Maybe you knew that already, though. ^^;;
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Thank you for the tips! :)
MightiMidget

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Personally, I try to follow the two paragraph structure where your first paragraph is a spoiler-free summary of the content and the second is the actual review. Ideally, the summary part and the review part will be the same size or the review part will be slightly larger. This isn't the only way to do it, obviously, but it's one way.

Just don't have a massively detailed summary and then give people something like "This is a really good series. You should watch it" at the end. Talk about what worked and what didn't, which parts stood out to you, story execution, other stories it reminds you of--whatever you want that actually gives your review substance instead of just reposting information someone could find on Wikipedia.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:35 pm

*nodding* Thank you, Rushia. That is very helpful. I'll be sure to keep those elements firmly in mind next time I write one. The comment about giving my review substances is something that I believe will help me as I decide what elements to write about. Thank you again. :)
MightiMidget

Postby jsav777 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I haven't officially written any reviews but I read a lot of them on pretty much anything. One thing that comes up a lot is that they mention something unique or interesting about the thing first. I hate it when you can tell by the first five seconds the reviewer is heavily opinionated.

Also if the thing being reviewed is based off of something else, I'd suggest not just talking about how close or not close is was to the source material, mention it but don't stay glued to that one aspect.

Lastly, in your conclusions, try an I'd-recommend-this-to-people-who-liked______ kind of thing. Or if the item being review isn't something you'd recommend, make sure to recommend something like it but better. Hope this helps in your future reviewing =]
jsav777

Return to Writing