Writing Excuses

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Writing Excuses

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Writing Excuses is a podcast about, well, writing. I found through a plug on the Schlock Mercenary blog.

The three main hosts are:

Brandon Sanderson
(Warbreaker, Elantris, Mistborn series,and he finished The Wheel of Time series)

Dan Wells
(I am not a serial killer series)

Howard Tayler
(Writes the Schlock Mercenary webcomic)

Most episodes are 15 minutes long ("Cause you're in a hurry, and we're not that smart")
And they talk about writing stuff...like: "avoiding melodrama", "creating suspense" "first paragraphs" "writing practical fantasy" and "writing the unfamiliar"

Admittedly I don't write but I found it to be an interesting look at the mechanics of writing, and so did FllmtlNovelist, who does write. So I thought some of the writers on here might be interested as well.

you can ether download it from the site or through itunes, or just stream it

http://www.writingexcuses.com/
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Yeah, I love this podcast. (Even though I haven't read any of the writers' work yet. XD) I recommend giving it a chance. I've learned a lot of cool stuff listening to it.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Seto_Sora » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm

one word: fascinating. another word: helpful ^_^

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 am

I started listening to these, and they're really good! Fun to listen to. I kinda wish they were longer, though XD
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:08 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1453551) wrote:I started listening to these, and they're really good! Fun to listen to. I kinda wish they were longer, though XD

I wish they were longer, too. XD

Also, I'm not sure if this has been keeping anyone back, but they mentioned at least one that they have a PG rating. I listen to them with my twelve-year-old sister with no 'objectionable content' worries. ^^

FllMtl Novelist

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 am

^ Oh, that's good to know. They were joking on their first episode about it being 'R-rated,' though :P (One guy was talking about how he usually gets his ideas, and he said when he's with someone else or when he's taking a bath. So then they were joking about that, but they didn't go very far with it or anything.)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 pm

I do like this podcast as well. And they make up for the lack of length with a huge backlog of shows and a fairly regular update schedule.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:34 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1455142) wrote:^ Oh, that's good to know. They were joking on their first episode about it being 'R-rated,' though :P (One guy was talking about how he usually gets his ideas, and he said when he's with someone else or when he's taking a bath. So then they were joking about that, but they didn't go very far with it or anything.)

Oh, I didn't know about that. I've only been able to download what they have available on itunes. (Or had available at the end of last year--I think the list changes.) So, my apologies if there's something objectionable in the older episodes, though I doubt they'd do something outrageous...

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Edward » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1451404) wrote:Yeah, I love this podcast. (Even though I haven't read any of the writers' work yet. XD) I recommend giving it a chance. I've learned a lot of cool stuff listening to it.

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1455440) wrote:Oh, I didn't know about that. I've only been able to download what they have available on itunes. (Or had available at the end of last year--I think the list changes.) So, my apologies if there's something objectionable in the older episodes, though I doubt they'd do something outrageous...

Yes, you definitly should read at least one Brandon Sanderon's books, especially if you like epic fantasy, though I haven't read anything by the others. And I doubt if they would do anything 'outrageous', considering that they're all Mormons.
Edward

Postby Esoteric » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for sharing this. I've listened to several of the podcasts and have gained some very important insights into problems with my own writing.
Esoteric

Postby Maledicte » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:17 pm

I like the short length, so I can binge on 4-5 of them at a time ^^

Also I've read The Dark Divine by Bree Despain, one of their guest hosts. Fun little book.
Maledicte

Return to Writing