Creator Thumbprints

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Creator Thumbprints

Postby OfficerSting » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:16 pm

A Creator Thumbprint is, according to TV Tropes, a recurring item that appears throughout a writer's works. For example, I love mythology, so my stories most often have some sort of fictional mythology behind them.

I was wondering, does anyone here do something similar?
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." [SIZE="2"]Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)[/SIZE]
OfficerSting

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 pm

-Magic systems that somehow involve the four (or more) elements
-Largely female MCs except for one or two stories
-Christianity
-Parents dying or not being that awesome
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Steve the Mailman.
Ante Bellum

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Romance. All of mine have to have romance.
Fantasy worlds. I also hate writing stories that take place in this one.
Atria35

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Well, all my story concepts have charaters who are indomitable about what they believe. Course, that may not qualify.
My other is devastating pasts that the character doesn't talk about and can't rectify, they just have to live with it and do their best not to let it affect them.
Probly my only other one is a general lack of info about the MC. I give the rundown on the Support or second characters, but the MC is revealed slowly or not at all.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:41 am

• My stories tend to have a noir element in them (detectives, mysteries, or characters struggling with guilt, desire or such)
• Loner heroes
• Eccentric characters
• Characters either doubting their faith or trying their best to do the right thing
• Sarcastic writing style (utilized mostly in short stories)
• References to more obscure movies and books (subtle or direct)
• Hermann Wertzel, a recurring character (usually mentioned, seldom met) who is a parody of a real life person, albeit an affectionate parody.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Asuka Neko » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Really weird, quirky characters. I have a lot of them, like a girl who is very pretty and almost perfect-looking but has a pet catfish that loves her and despises her boyfriend and she also owns a lot of shotguns. I think she's one of my weirdest. I also have a girl named Shrew who is six feet tall and wears size 13 boots that have magical properties (and fuschia lightning bolts on them) and a narcoleptic elf.

Yeah. We're all mad here.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:31 pm

So far, both of the stories I've tried to write have had shy MCs.

That's about it really.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:05 pm

I leave thumbprints all over the printed-out drafts. And fingerprints, too. XD But seriously:

-Female protagonists (if she's not the lead, she's the second most important character)
-Fantasy elements (all but a few stories I wrote have obviously fantasy stuff going on)
-Romance ("write what you know/have experienced"? Who does that?!)
-Some errors that are absolutely mortifying when I realize them. DX
Asuka Neko (post: 1448753) wrote:Really weird, quirky characters. I have a lot of them, like a girl who is very pretty and almost perfect-looking but has a pet catfish that loves her and despises her boyfriend and she also owns a lot of shotguns. I think she's one of my weirdest. I also have a girl named Shrew who is six feet tall and wears size 13 boots that have magical properties (and fuschia lightning bolts on them) and a narcoleptic elf.

Yeah. We're all mad here.

Are they all in the same story? o.o
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Asuka Neko » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:05 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1448808) wrote:
Are they all in the same story? o.o

That would be really interesting... sadly, no, they're all from different stories. Maybe I'll write a story sometime where all of the characters are really absurd and quirky and ridiculous.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby Destroyer2000 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:43 pm

I do the same:

-Mostly male main characters.
-Romance stories of some sort.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:40 am

I have a couple:
1. I tend to name a female character Joanne quite often. This is because I had a friend in high school named Joanne and I think this is a good way to honor the friendship.
2. I used to have characters with meaningful names. It got too difficult to keep this up, so I kinda dropped this practice.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 am

Asuka Neko (post: 1449047) wrote:That would be really interesting... sadly, no, they're all from different stories. Maybe I'll write a story sometime where all of the characters are really absurd and quirky and ridiculous.

Kinda like Baccano!. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Arvin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Haven't written that many works yet, but mine tend to have:

*Gods descending to the mortal world and joining the main cast.
*Sci-fi-grade civilisations in a decidedly magic-centric fantasy setting. May or may not be justified, but the latter cases were only when I was a kid.
*The Quest
Arvin

Postby Seto_Sora » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 am

Structuring in three or triangle is typically my Creator Thumbprint. It will appear in the structure of the story (trilogy or three parts), in character's names (my characters almost always have three names), escalation, villains, alliterations, images, triangles, etc.. The reason for this is that I believe three represents completion. It is a rise and a fall to resolve. it is a perfect triangle, or imperfect, but always dependent on itself. It is stable, reliable, structured.
another hidden print is that number sequences within a story will almost always (except for years and dates) logically equate to 6 or 7. And the equation would be quick way to know if the chararcter or device is good or bad. Often good or Theo related things will equate to 7 or be 7 while evil or man centered things will equate to 6 or be the number 6.

SDG
This

Seto_Sora

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:46 pm

I tend to plan for a sequel, too. Not because I think, "Oh I'll do all this cool stuff later", but because my stories seem to occur in big chunks. I guess in some cases, I could just think of 'em as "part one", "part two", and so on in one book, but I like to think of them in terms of books instead. XD Maybe it just makes me sound more accomplished?

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Blacklight » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:01 pm

I think these tend to show up in many of my concepts:

1. Girl+guy team, and one of them is "superpowered" or powerful in some way, or has something otherwise supernaturally unique about them. The other can also have something supernatural about them, but in a different way. (And the more "normal" one is usually the main character.)

2. The supernatural+fantasy elements. Anything can happen. Anything.

3. Some search for some thing or another, especially with the girl+guy team mentioned previously. It seems my characters are always looking for something in order to accomplish something bigger.

4. Violence. I don't really know how I could explain this...

5. Other worlds that are somehow "attached" to earth.

6. Mythology/folklore or fictional culture that is tied to the things happening "now" in the story.

Others show up, but it would be difficult to explain some of them.

I also plan books in a series sometimes. I don't know if it's considered a good or bad idea, but one story in particular is supposed to be a trilogy, and I plan the events happening within each part.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Return to Writing