Share a nugget of writing wisdom (chicken and gold variations accepted)

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Postby Okami » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:11 pm

As kind of goes with my first statement - do your research so things make sense! Even if you're well-versed in the subject matter; research for accuracy of the details! :thumb:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:22 pm

One thing I've found helpful in developing my writing is this:

Learn all the rules of correct grammar and use them until they become second nature. Then gradually select places where you can snap those rules in two, or at least bend them to fit your purposes. No one wants to read something written by someone who doesn't have a strong grasp of the language, but 100% correct writing can seem rather stiff and unnatural, especially in dialogue. Even in normal prose, breaking the rules (when you know what you're doing) can result in a better piece of writing.

This is something I'm trying to learn, and I can already see improvements in my own writing! :thumb:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:31 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1446440) wrote:One thing I've found helpful in developing my writing is this:

Learn all the rules of correct grammar and use them until they become second nature. Then gradually select places where you can snap those rules in two, or at least bend them to fit your purposes. No one wants to read something written by someone who doesn't have a strong grasp of the language, but 100% correct writing can seem rather stiff and unnatural, especially in dialogue. Even in normal prose, breaking the rules (when you know what you're doing) can result in a better piece of writing.

This is something I'm trying to learn, and I can already see improvements in my own writing! :thumb:

While having good grammar is definitely a good thing, I don't think you should make a huge deal out of it while you're writing. You don't want to pause mid-paragraph and wonder how exactly you should word this sentence, and if you're doing it right. If you can write so you can understand it later, you can come back after everything's on the page and fix the grammar then.

Also, if you're just figuring out proper grammer, find something that has a list of common errors. Read one, and start keeping an eye out for it. When you've got how to avoid that error (and what it looks like and why exactly you should avoid it) down pat, look at another one.

And yes, most people talk grammatically incorrectly all the time. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Asuka Neko » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Do NaNoWriMo.

It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me, because I need a time limit to get something done or I just sit there and go "eh... let's go watch anime."

Also, please, please, PLEASE give your characters flaws/quirks/problems. If you don't, they never seem realistic and people feel that they're unrelatable. And I agree with everything about using good grammar and making things short, simple, and clean.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm

I can't quite condense it into a nugget, but one question I frequently see writers answer is, "Where do you find your time?" All writers (that I've seen) have said that most of the time, it's not that people don't have time to write--it's that they don't make time. If you're struggling to find time to write, look at what you spend your time on, and see what can go. Work, school, family, God: those things obviously take priority over writing. But video games, internet, etc.: those can go. Usually it's not a question of time, but what your highest priorities are. If you want time badly enough, you can make time. (In nearly all cases.)

For instance, some writers snatch little pockets of time throughout the day. Others put aside several hours on the weekend, and still others get up at four in the morning every day to write a couple hours before the rest of the family wakes up.

Also, I second doing NaNoWriMo if you can. If you can't/won't, that doesn't mean you're a bad writer. But I'd say at least try it once, even if you don't finish. ^^

FllMtl Novelist

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Every story needs to have a premise, a focus, a point. Something you're saying with it, even if it's not in so many words (actually, it's probably best if it's not in so many words). Every story has a message; you just can't get away from it, so it's best if you're very clear on what that message is.

I find it helpful to actually condense the story into a full, grammatical sentence, because every story that has a point can be condensed in such a way (though it's often really oversimplified, but that's what the story itself is for, right?). That way, you can make sure that every scene, every event, every conversation, even every character is supporting that premise in some way, and it won't just be some amorphous thing that doesn't know where it's going.

This can also help you figure out things you're not sure about yet - the ending, the beginning, a gap somewhere, even a character. Just think of what would best fill that hole and support the premise.

(Oh, and might I add that this is something to be done in the revision stage, not the first-draft stage.)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1449928) wrote:I find it helpful to actually condense the story into a full, grammatical sentence, because every story that has a point can be condensed in such a way (though it's often really oversimplified, but that's what the story itself is for, right?).

Being able to condense the hook of your story and what kicks off the action into a single sentence is advised by many. Like you said, it can help keep you focused. It's also useful when you get to the querying stage, because that sentence is what's going to make the agent/editor want to read more. It distinguishes your work from everything else, and makes the reader think, "Oh neat/cool!" or "Hey that actually sounds interesting" or "Finally, something DIFFERENT!"

Condensing your story into a single sentence is hard, and I recommend trying it more than once. It can be tricky to know which story elements you want to mention, and what cool stuff you'll have to leave out.

I recently remembered another suggestion I've heard a few times: dedicate your work to someone. This can help you stay inspired, give you more focus, and perhaps help you make some choices. For example, if you dedicate your story to your sister, and therefore want to make a story she'll enjoy, it may influence you to make the protagonist a girl, or have an important female character who kicks butt. Depending on the person you're writing for, of course. XD (Apologies if this was mentioned once already. ^^;; )

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Tamachan319 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Tamachan319 (post: 1445964) wrote:Agreed. To add to it:
4. Don't shun the old notebook! Notebooks, I have found, are an excellent way to write down poems. Use a pen to write in it. Then, when you cross out a word and replace it, you still see the old one. You may find that the old one works better with your next line than the new one.

To add to my "notebook" comment: Keep a notebook near you at places you tend get inspired. A notebook near you in general is good, actually! I tend to get inspired by a sermon or something at church, so sometimes I jot down a couple lines of a poem before I forget.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:53 am

I suppose this isn't always possible, or at least not possible to do on purpose, but I've found it extremely helpful to have friends who write too (and write well). We can send each other bits of writing back and forth and give each other constructive criticism, without the meaningless feedback I often get from strangers on the internet, or my mom :P

I've found it especially valuable that I have a friend who loves every word I write, and another friend who picks apart everything I write. A nice, healthy blend of the two is good.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous

Return to Writing