The Unofficial CAA World Building Project

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

The Unofficial CAA World Building Project

Postby OfficerSting » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Upon seeing the TV Tropes world creation project, I thought it might be enjoyable to do something similar here at CAA. This project is meant to be a fun way to stretch your creative muscle by collectively creating a fictional world, as one might use in a speculative fiction story. We each would contribute a small bit to the world's history, people, nature, etc., and see what we come up with as each person adds their own idea(s) to the project. The world will be called Smilarr (pronounced SMIH-LAR).
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." [SIZE="2"]Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)[/SIZE]
OfficerSting

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:18 pm

This sounds cool! So how do we start?
Atria35

Postby OfficerSting » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Atria35 (post: 1441525) wrote:This sounds cool! So how do we start?

All you have to do is write a few ideas down you have for the project. For example, say you want the world to be populated with elves. Write a post on elves and how they relate to the world. Or perhaps you want it to be a space opera, and write about the various major planets. The only thing to keep in mind is that these ideas should be consistent, but the main idea is to have fun and get creative. Steam-powered rockets? No problem. Green sky? Perfectly fine. When the ideas of everyone come together, we'll probably have a wildly varied/random world, but that's what makes it so fun.
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." [SIZE="2"]Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)[/SIZE]
OfficerSting

Postby Atria35 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Awright! So. I guess I get to start!

This world has 3 moons. The largest is grey. The second-largest is purple, and the third is red. They affect the world very strongly- you can almost tell the time by when the land gently rises underneath your feet when one of them passes overhead. It is more apparent in some places than others- the seas are barely affected, but mountains can crack under the pull of the gravity exerted on them.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:48 am

This world's atmosphere is very similar to Venus. However, the earth colonists have adapted by building domed cities. (Hey, I like domed cities. Very good sci-fi trope). Its year is about 10 days longer than Earth's, however, the days are still 24 hours long.
The planet has many animals that do not exist on Earth. Among them are a group of creatures called Koolins. The Koolins are very adorable creatures and are kept as pets by both the colonists and the indigenuous people. (meaning those who already were there) Koolins resemble earth foxes and have two tales instead of one. They are carnivorous mammals with very fluffy coats. When winter comes, their coats adapt to the environment by changing from orange to white, similar to the earth Arctic wolf. Wild ones can be found near the polar ice caps.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Edward » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:43 am

Because of scientifically unexplainable reasons, people can mine steel directly from the planet.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 am

The entire society is still rebuilding from the Great Chocolate-Covered Biscuit Wars, in which nearly half the population was lost. Cracked domes still stand over ruined cities where the Pockyites and Peperonians unleashed horrible weapons in the name of their favorite chocolate-covered biscuit sticks. The Luckydian Confederacy in the south managed to secure a drifting landmass about the size of the Indian subcontinent, but the majority of the world is still rife with tension, and forcibly aligned with either the Pockyite Union or the Empire of Pepero. The two Great Powers are in a state of near-equilibrium, giving the smaller Luckydian Confederacy significant sway in political matters. The Great Powers, however, detest the Luckydians only slightly less than each other, so the Luckydians can't actually survive siding with either power.

About five years ago, a terrorist group known as the Ramuneers, striking from well-fortified moon bases, managed to destroy critical portions of all sides' military leadership, leading to a hasty, albeit uneasy, peace among the Chocolate-Covered Biscuit Stick Powers. While the known moonbases were destroyed, evidence indicated that they had been abandoned, and nobody knows where the Ramuneers have gone, or what their ultimate goals are.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Atria35 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:34 am

The seas are slightly more habitable than the drifting landmasses- the seas are an organic goo that may be thick, but not toxic, unlike the atmosphere. There are several colonies of sea-creatures called Toggles. They are yellow with red stripes, and resemble salamanders with horses' bodies. They live in bubbled cities that attach beneath the landmasses, between the landmasses and the very smooth center of the world. The bubbles are collected from covert missions to the surface where they collect air- staying hidden from the strange land creatures that fought over chocolate-covered biscuits (when everyone knows that chocolate-covered fruits are far more important).
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:11 pm

The world may seem oddly hospitable for use as a prison planet, but it was not selected by the Galactic Peace Corps arbitrarily. The three moons exert an extremely treacherous web of conflicting gravitational pulls all around the planet. In fact, the planet's only spaceport is accessible from space only once each month.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:06 am

The purple moon has an atmosphere similar to Earth. A region of the planet was settled by a group of humans who have a culture similar to the Vikings on Earth. However, this culture has adapted through time and now has spaceships that look similar to longships. Yep, space Vikings, people! :lol:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby OfficerSting » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:07 am

The reason behind the Great Chocolate-Covered Biscuit War was because one of the gases in the atmosphere causes severe anger to those who inhale it. The domes help filter out some of the gas, but not all of it. Before the Great Chocolate-Covered Biscuit War, there was the Battles of Animation, in which the American and Japanese colonists battled over who made better cartoons. Before that, there was the Candy Conflict in which the North American and European colonists battled over whose confectionary was sweeter.
OfficerSting

Postby Lynna » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:45 pm

The Natives to the land have skin coulours of green, yellow, white, brown, purple, and pale red. They are humanoid, but their ears are often strangely pointed and curved, almost like a cat's and their eyeds tend to be larger than those of the people from earth. They are know as Smilarrites. Many of them are fond of music and art, and many are also friendly. However, they can get angry whenever anyone tries to interfere with their way of life. This has led to great conflicts between the tribes and provinces.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby OfficerSting » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 am

The aforementioned gas is called Teslium, and it is currently being researched by several scientists from the American colonies as a weapon.
OfficerSting

Return to Writing