Is it possible for writing to be "to wordy"(what makes good writing?)

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Postby steenajack » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 pm

I agree with Adorima. I'd say it would kinda depend on what type of story you're writing. YES, it is possibly to make a story too "wordy". Don't just SAY that a person is so attractive that all the ladies love him, SHOW ME. Tell me how the girls react in his presence, how this effects his personality and interaction with others, all that good stuff. That's called character development. You don't want things too wordy, or you'll distract from the original plot and characters. I have read books that do have a lot of adjectives, but not so much that I didn't know what the story was about. It's called Rose Daughter, and it's by Robin Mckinley. It's very descriptive, and "gorgeously" written, and beautiful, but at the same time there is a story going on that keeps everything interesting. Characters have personalities and are developed and grow, and that's part of the reason why that book was well written.

So basically, yes you can have too much, but at the same time don't have too little. Have an equal balance of everything, and take everything in moderation.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Lynna » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:23 am

I think though, that sometimes description is necesary, because people normally judge others based on outward appearances first, For example, if one guy is so nice and cool, but is ugly, you would have to describe his outward appearance to explain why not many people seem to like him.

But anyways, thanks everyone so much for the advice I found it very helpful!!!!!!! ^_^
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Atria35 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:32 am

^ But making a block of text about it is boring and obvious. So don't make a block of text about it!
Atria35

Previous

Return to Writing