Laced in Black

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Laced in Black

Postby choklit » Tue May 25, 2010 8:00 am

All righty. As I'm sure at least some of you can relate, I love making stories; trouble is, I can never get around to finishing them. I can have the plot in my head, the stories, the background, all the works. The moment I get it all planned out, I know the stoyr by heart and lose interest in actually writing it all down. A very bad habit.
And so: I decided I needed some accountability. It's not the lack of writing that's bothering me so much, it's my lack of follow-through and perserverance, and I'd like to change that. I thought, "If people can read it, like it, and hold me accountable to keep writing, I can change." Even if no one reads this story, it'll give me some initiative to finish, since it's up for public grabs.
Questions, comments, concerns, critiques are all welcome. I'll try to answer what I can, without spoiling the story.
This is a historical/fantasy short story. Or maybe a novella. Too long for a short story and too short for an actual book. Anyways. If I upload a few paragraphs every few days, I should get it all in three or four weeks. Here's to hoping.

Laced in Black

Djinn are uncommon creatures. They have the reputation of being tricky, conniving, and greedy. I pride myself on being an uncommon djinn. My relations can be nasty things, and though I am not the easiest being to work with, my interest in my trade makes me more... agreeable to deal with. Of course, you humans try our patience so, you shouldn't be too surprised to meet a disagreeable djinn. I've my fair share of mischief, and perhaps a teensy bit more, but at least I'm considerate enough to be sorry about it. Sometimes.
Certainly, humans are not the only ones i deal with. Indeed, most things magical try not to deal with you flighty creatures. But money is money in either realm. I am a modest djinn, and must drudge along as best I can.
However, while cleaning out my caravan today, I stumbled across an item I had not chanced upon in years. Having a tempermental imp to work my bottomless drawer was no help. It seems like a mere trinket; a little white gem, with a fine silver chain that had no clasp, but its length was enough to imagine a bracelet. An interesting story is attached to it.
Like to hear it, would you? Of course, there is a payment for my service, but I'm in a good mood after my find, and I have time to spare, so I'll tell the tale and say nothing of payment until the end of it.
It begins with a girl in a village. Not so long ago for me, perhaps the grandfather of your great-grandfather might have been a child while she lived. It was a fine spring morning...
So what's the speed of dark?
choklit

Postby TGJesusfreak » Tue May 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Cool! I like it already! I can't wait to see more.

In fact I'l hold you accountable and pester you until you post more. XD
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby choklit » Wed May 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Laila could have stayed there all morning. The chore to catch fish for dinner was among her favorites. now that winter had thawed and the river flowed, the warm spring day was the perfect time to be alone. Most people hated the trek through the woods, and stopped as soon as they found the river. Laila walked for an houur to a secret grove. the weeping willow trees draped themselves over the little inlet that curved away from the main river was a fish's meeting place. laila was in no hurry. She drwosily wondered if fish gossipped in her little grove, and warned each other to stay away from her tempting worms. no matter. It was pleasant, to be all alone. She never truly fished in her grove. If a fish was foolish enough to mouth her line, she would throw him back.
She's go out into the river to fish with normal folk. No sense their wondering how she could catch so much from the fish in her private sanctuary, and they so little. Besides, the fish were her friends. There was even an old crawdad as large as half her arm who had been there when she first discovered it.
Laila had almost fallen asleep when a sharp snapping of a twig alerted her. The underbrush rustled as an unfamiliar stranger tried to find its way into her heart, not knowing of the little clearings that allowed for little sound to be made.
Blast, Laila thought. If those nasty village boys found her place, they would throw rocks on the water and trample its kind wildness and scare her friends away. She soundlessly slid from her grassy spot to crouch behind a large rock that sat by the river entrance of the grove.
So what's the speed of dark?
choklit

Postby TGJesusfreak » Sat May 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Very nice! I love the way you describe things! :thumb:

I can't wait to read more. ^^
TGJesusfreak

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Nice Choklit! :D Keep it up!
Ella Edric

Postby TGJesusfreak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:30 pm

....when will you post more?!!!!! XD
TGJesusfreak

Return to Writing