Magic-less RPG

Projects or project ideas in the works

Magic-less RPG

Postby skynes » Wed May 19, 2004 11:11 am

Anyone on GRG will know that I plan to make an RPG with no magic whatsoever, yet containing the same fun of burning Goblins with fireballs.

At the moment I'm trying to get my head round the mechanics of the game. It seems ot be turning out with a mix of FF5s job system and FF7s Materia.

I have attached a word file with what I have written up so far.

This is what I need help with:

1.Suggestions on further classes, programs (my name for spells) and program modifiers. If you come up with an idea, please just dont say - how about ##### instead take the time to come up with how the classes will use it.

2. Artwork. The game art will be a mix of Fantasy and Sci-Fi. In the case of the Knight he'd be a mix of hi-tech armour (still looks knightly) and leather robes. Anything on this would be appreciated

3. Any other feedback is welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby JediSonic » Thu May 20, 2004 5:58 am

It sounds like you've got most of the stuff figured out (I dont have time for more than a glance-over of the document right now as I have to go to school :sweat: )

But maybe you could give more details on what kind of game this is going to be. Is it going to be like Kaldris -- done in php of something for online play -- or built to be run on an individual system (1 player, that is) or something else entirely? Do you plan on programming it yourself? Where are the graphics and music coming from?

Or maybe you're just using RPG Maker 2K :lol:
JediSonic

Postby skynes » Thu May 20, 2004 7:29 am

Individual System 1 player RPG. Controlling 4 separate characters, probably 3rd person look, turn based battle system. Traditional level up system. Also levelling up Programming skill with whatever program, thus allowing them to be merged with different programs and give them new effects. (they learn Fire better so can use BIGGER fire attacks).

I don't know how complex this will end up being. I will probably code most of it myself, but at this time in my education I don't know how to code 3D modelling, running FMVs, loading graphics or whatever so I can't code it yet.

Music - No clue yet. I'm going to wait and see what happens. My sister is very musically talented on multiple instruments, I could get her to do music but I need a way to record it.

Graphics - Laura is going to do some drawings for me, but as for the 3D aspect, dont know.

I'm just getting as much design and development done as possible. When it's time for me to start making games seriously I know God'll bring me into contact with the ppl I need.

skynes

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 20, 2004 9:15 am

My initial reservation is that creating a magic-less rpg is basically impossible under the circumstances you suggested. If we use Matria, for example, what is the difference between that and ordinary magic?

Basically, it boils down to a futile semantics argument.

However, this doesn't keep your basic system from being good and interesting.
uc pseudonym

Postby skynes » Thu May 20, 2004 10:02 am

I have no idea what you just said....

--------------
Most of the names used within the document are only get-me-by names thatll be changed later.

The 'magic' system works like this: Each character has an Energy Manipulating Device by calling different programs can convert its power into different kinds of energy. The energy can be used for different functions whether its charging a sword with electrical power, firing an energy missile or healing an ally.

skynes

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 20, 2004 10:09 am

I apologize.

In simpler terms: There is no practical difference between "energy" and "magic." You just used different words for the same concept.

Now, I have no issue with magic in secular games. But if you wanted to eliminate magic... well, basically all that's been done is changing what you call it.
uc pseudonym

Postby skynes » Thu May 20, 2004 10:58 am

I didn't intend it to sound 'chi' type energy.
Its more like battery power being used for different purposes, powering a heater, powering a fridge, powering ur PC. Energy is used for multiple purposes even in our technology. all my game does is use that but in a different way, nothing magical about it. Simply computer programs telling the device to use the energy in whatever way is needed.

skynes

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 20, 2004 1:17 pm

I suppose that is a slightly different matter. Very well, it does serve the purpose you wish it to.
uc pseudonym

Postby JediSonic » Thu May 20, 2004 3:52 pm

sky, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your answers to uc's observations but... whatever :grin:

May I ask what language the project will be coded in, if you even know that?
JediSonic

Postby skynes » Fri May 21, 2004 12:57 am

Ur all asking questions thats way beyond the stage Im at.
Design comes BEFORE coding you know ;) I just need some feedback and assistance with designs of the game, artwork, mechanics etc.

I simply at this point in time, do not know enough to begin to think what it will be coded in, what it will look like, whos publishing it, what consoles/PCs/specifications or anything!

Since Java is my best language atm as I stand now it'll probably be it.
---------------------------

Since everyone reading this has had problems understanding it, I'll take what I've done and re-do it in a way that explains everything better.

skynes

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 21, 2004 5:16 am

JediSonic wrote:sky, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your answers to uc's observations but... whatever :grin:

Ah, they sufficed.

Meanwhile, I would like to help, but I really am a bit too swamped with other work. If I obtain some extra time, I will do my best to assist; I really do love system creation. However, I do have a question: what manner of RPG is this? Tabletop? Computer-based? Will it run through a specific plot?
uc pseudonym

Postby JediSonic » Fri May 21, 2004 5:35 am

skynes wrote:design comes before coding you know :grin:

IT DOES???

No wonder all my games come out funny.. :lol:
JediSonic

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun May 23, 2004 10:37 pm

In my op
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby skynes » Mon May 24, 2004 6:10 am

Yip Volt I know that. Things like that happened during my group Project on my course when we were designing and making a Stock control system in Java. Layouts changed, code changed all depending on events happening.

I still want to get a good solid design before I go any further, after system design is done I'll try and make a story to go with it.

The game will be a 1 player, 3rd person view , turn based, computerised RPG.
It will run through a plot but whilst on the world map you will be able to go anywhere you are able to, if you have a ship you can go sailing, if you got a jet you can go flying. It allows you to tackle the side-quests when you want to but you cant advance further in the game without beating the earlier sections.

-----------------------------
Things I need help with:

The system: Be it the classes or the 'magic' or stats or whatever.

Artwork: There will be four main characters, these 4 change appearance and skills depending on their class (knight, ninja, medic whatever). I need even just a basic class-less appearance for 4 of them, say 2 guys and 2 girls. After the basic appearance is done I'll need to re-do them in the armour and look of every class.

Story: A story to go with the game. I don't have any ideas on this so whatever you can through out here is fine. (My mind is too filled with Legacy of Numach story :P)

skynes

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am

well, i'm not of the mind to handle all the technical business involved in the game, but perhaps i could assist with the story itself and the terminology used to explain the special attacking and healing system that you are describing, as far as jobs go, i'm not sure where you could need my help, most of the jobs from other games are synonymous with other job titles, just pm me and let me know where you need help in the creative department and i'll do what i can to help, later
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Return to New Projects and Ideas