New Christian Manga

Projects or project ideas in the works

New Christian Manga

Postby Retten » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:40 pm

Well i was just sitting down reading last night when i had a awesome idea for a Christian manga what if we told the story of the early missionaries to Japan during the 1597 through the life of one of them from when they first reach Japan to their death as martyrs :sniffle: it would definitely be a very moving story and a informative tool on what happened during that time period in Japan and how they tried to show the Japanese people Christ and what they went through to do it.

here are some links on the history of missionaries
http://www.baobab.or.jp/~stranger/mypage/26martyr.htm
http://members.aol.com/DoJourney/Keikyo/index.html

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Ashley » Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:15 pm

Hmm...interesting. Certainly worth considering.
Ashley

Postby Izumi San » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:06 pm

Yeah, sounds neat ^^
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby MasterDias » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:33 pm

Sounds like it would make an interesting manga although missionary martyr stories are a bit on the depressing side.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Izumi San » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:41 pm

Yeah, since they die n all at the end...maybe we could also do one about those guys who went into the Amazon w/ their wives & were killed, but their wives continued to witness too them even after their husbands deaths.
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby Technomancer » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:09 pm

The thing is, the Church in Japan did survive underground. Without their priests or any bibles, much was lost, but the knowledge of who they were remained. When the Jesuits returned to Japan in the 19th century, they were given permission to build churches, principally for foreign visitors. However, they were astonished when the Japanese began returning, remebering their priests, and the sacraments and St. Mary.

Aside from the historical information available, I would urge anyone interested to read Endo's novels "Silence" and "The Samurai" for a fictional look at this period. As an additional aside one of the oldest and largest Christian communities in Japan was obliterated with the dropping of the atom bomb on Nagasaki.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:26 pm

Sounds good. Need any help?
Rashiir

Return to New Projects and Ideas