an idea for an online mmorpg that I would like to one day create

Projects or project ideas in the works

an idea for an online mmorpg that I would like to one day create

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun May 11, 2014 1:22 pm

I got this idea from reading a few articles in the superpower wiki on superpowers and why it is impossible to gain true superhuman capabilities such as super strength and super speed for example. I think that just because you can do 90000 pushups with a skyscraper on your back doesn't mean you're able to do the equivalent of that in squats, leg curls or weighted calf raises or run for years without stopping (implying your heart has super strength really good cardio). The same goes for super speed just because you can run a 40 in an extremely fast .00000000000000001 seconds doesn't mean you have true super speed because your upper body's speed could be extremely slow. Anyway and I was thinking what about an open-world rpg where if you could think it, it becomes rendered to life. Super strength, super speed, unassisted flight, pyrokinesis(firebending for you avatar the last airbender and Korra fans you're all awesome), geokinesis(earthbending) telekinesis, telepathy the limits are the boundaries of your imagination. So you could have everything you've ever wanted you can interact with other users and go on quests together with friends and find valuable items and put them up for auction on yabe(do you get that?) to get money. if no user buys your item you can either choose to keep it or sell it to Nonsence Pawnz Chamber or NPC(which also means non-player-character. Yes, I did that on purpose) for short where it can be bought when a user needs it for a quest or something I want it to be like a virtual utopia like the OASIS in the book Ready Player One
Never thirsty!

Re: an idea for an online mmorpg that I would like to one day create

Postby Nate » Sun May 11, 2014 1:36 pm

I'll start the wiki.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun May 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Nate wrote:I'll start the wiki.

it already exists just google a superpower electrokines for example then add superpower wikia and it should pop up no more than the fifth lresult
Never thirsty!

Postby Xeno » Sun May 11, 2014 10:56 pm

I can't run a 40 that fast, but I can drink one around that quickly.
Xeno

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Xeno wrote:I can't run a 40 that fast, but I can drink one around that quickly.

Dude let's hang out and play Edward Forty-Hands or power hour or something.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby SilverToast » Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:So you could have everything you've ever wanted you can interact with other users and go on quests together with friends and find valuable items and put them up for auction on yabe(do you get that?) to get money. if no user buys your item you can either choose to keep it or sell it to Nonsence Pawnz Chamber or NPC(which also means non-player-character.

This project idea is too ambitious for an actual video game.

What exactly is the final goal of the game? Do you plan on having players just do quests to buy things in the game?

Never thirsty! wrote: Anyway and I was thinking what about an open-world rpg where if you could think it, it becomes rendered to life. Super strength, super speed, unassisted flight, pyrokinesis(firebending for you avatar the last airbender and Korra fans you're all awesome), geokinesis(earthbending) telekinesis, telepathy the limits are the boundaries of your imagination.

It's an interesting idea, but not very practical. It wouldn't be possible. The limits would be your own imagination and logic when programming the game engine. Try thinking of all the combinations of superpowers you can think of and multiply that by a million(the number of people playing). You or a small team would have to program each power or be incredibly smart enough to program the game engine to do that.

Even if you were able to do that, that feature would break the game. My superpower could be that I have the power to beat the game in 5 seconds and the engine would let me do that since the limit is my imagination. Other people can just copy the most overpowered power a player has discovered and then you're stuck with a million people with the same superpower that breaks the game until another better super power is thought of.

You definitely need to set clear limits to your game to balance it. Scribblenauts does something similar to what you're talking about but it sets limits for itself.

If you are really serious about making a game, then start with the basics. Learn a language like c#, c++, Python, Ruby or Java. Then, start by making pong to learn collision detection and 2D graphics rendering. Yes, you better start with 2D games unless you want to learn complex vector math and other college-level math to handle 3D models, lighting,etc.

You could also start off with small projects in Game Maker or RPG Maker series.
SilverToast

Postby Nate » Sat May 17, 2014 1:12 am

"Why don't we create a game that has EVERYTHING a player could want?"

- most common phrase spoken by a person who has literally no idea how to create or produce video games.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Xeno » Sat May 17, 2014 12:22 pm

That's why cars don't have gatling guns attached to their roofs from the factory. A lot of people want them, but it's just not feasible for the assembly line.

And NHSA safety regulations say you can't do it.
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat May 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Xeno wrote:That's why cars don't have gatling guns attached to their roofs from the factory. A lot of people want them, but it's just not feasible for the assembly line.

That's what mods are for.
Ante Bellum

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 am

Ace33Wing wrote:
Never thirsty! wrote:So you could have everything you've ever wanted you can interact with other users and go on quests together with friends and find valuable items and put them up for auction on yabe(do you get that?) to get money. if no user buys your item you can either choose to keep it or sell it to Nonsence Pawnz Chamber or NPC(which also means non-player-character.

What exactly is the final goal of the game? Do you plan on having players just do quests to buy things in the game?

Never thirsty! wrote: Anyway and I was thinking what about an open-world rpg where if you could think it, it becomes rendered to life. Super strength, super speed, unassisted flight, pyrokinesis(firebending for you avatar the last airbender and Korra fans you're all awesome), geokinesis(earthbending) telekinesis, telepathy the limits are the boundaries of your imagination.

It's an interesting idea, but not very practical. It wouldn't be possible. The limits would be your own imagination and logic when programming the game engine. Try thinking of all the combinations of superpowers you can think of and multiply that by a million(the number of people playing). You or a small team would have to program each power or be incredibly smart enough to program the game engine to do that.

Even if you were able to do that, that feature would break the game. My superpower could be that I have the power to beat the game in 5 seconds and the engine would let me do that since the limit is my imagination. Other people can just copy the most overpowered power a player has discovered and then you're stuck with a million people with the same superpower that breaks the game until another better super power is thought of.

You definitely need to set clear limits to your game to balance it. Scribblenauts does something similar to what you're talking about but it sets limits for itself.

If you are really serious about making a game, then start with the basics. Learn a language like c#, c++, Python, Ruby or Java. Then, start by making pong to learn collision detection and 2D graphics rendering. Yes, you better start with 2D games unless you want to learn complex vector math and other college-level math to handle 3D models, lighting,etc.

I see what you mean the possibilities can't plausibly be unlimited because my mind is limited because only ONE has an unlimited mind and He created the universe by exhaling carbon dioxide in a sequence of words(speaking) and I most definitely am not He . Although no one will win in my lifetime because everything that was including rights my game(s) and company will be given to whoever finds my easter egg(read Ready Player One. you'll get what I'm trying to accomplish) I'm guessing that making any sort of mmo style game would be difficult because it would require constant updates to the code to make sure the users don't get bored. It could be tiring but it will be worth it if I ever create a successful mmo.
Never thirsty!

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed May 21, 2014 8:36 am

Ace33Wing wrote:

I see what you mean the possibilities can't plausibly be unlimited because my mind is limited because only ONE has an unlimited mind and He created the universe by exhaling carbon dioxide in a sequence of words(speaking) and I most definitely am not He . Although no one will win in my lifetime because everything that was including rights my game(s) and company will be given to whoever finds my easter egg(read Ready Player One. you'll get what I'm trying to accomplish) I'm guessing that making any sort of mmo style game would be difficult because it would require constant updates to the code to make sure the users don't get bored. It could be tiring but it will be worth it if I ever create a successful mmo.
I know hypertext Markup Language 5 already and I am learning JS I want to learn C hash tag(kidding don't take that seriously hash tags are dumb I hate them. C sharp is what I was talking about) but can't find a website to learn it on. Is there a language called C flat (i guess it'd be for 2d game/graphic design because flat)?
Never thirsty!

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed May 21, 2014 7:21 pm

HTML and Javascript are basically worthless for MMOs. You need a more powerful and versatile language to build a proper game.

#youdontknowwhatyouredoing
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Wed May 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:Is there a language called C flat (i guess it'd be for 2d game/graphic design because flat)?

B (Redirected from C♭ (musical note) wrote:The referent of the musical note B varies by location. See note for a discussion on other differences in letter naming of the notes.

In the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and the Netherlands, as described above, B usually refers to the note a semitone below C, while B-flat refers to the note a whole tone below C.

However, in Germany, Central and Eastern Europe, and Scandinavia, the label B is used for what, above, is called B-flat, and the note a semitone below C is called H. This makes possible certain spellings which are otherwise impossible, such as the BACH motif.

C♯ wrote:The name "C sharp" was inspired by musical notation where a sharp indicates that the written note should be made a semitone higher in pitch.[7] This is similar to the language name of C++, where "++" indicates that a variable should be incremented by 1. The sharp symbol also resembles a ligature of four "+" symbols (in a two-by-two grid), further implying that the language is an increment of C++.

There is "no such thing" as a C♭ so to speak. It's really there, it even has a Major scale, but we call it a B. Since C♯ was named as a musical reference, it wouldn't make sense to name another C programming language "C♭" when that isn't even the proper name used for the note that is played. Not to mention that a flat is going down the scale, so if following the same logic as was used with coming up with the C♯ name, C♭ would be a digression in functionality. Think Photoshop Elements compared to Photoshop CS6 (or whatever version they're on).
Last edited by Xeno on Thu May 22, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeno

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Ante Bellum wrote:HTML and Javascript are basically worthless for MMOs. You need a more powerful and versatile language to build a proper game.

#youdontknowwhatyouredoing

You might be able to do a browser based MMO, but a) you're clearly going to have to lower your expectations about what this thing is going to look like (which you are going to have to do anyway), and b) you need to make that code hook up to some sort of database or file storage system, meaning you'll have to pick up some other language for that side of things (MySQL? CGI scripts? Ruby? I dunno what the kids are into these days, I'm just the rock guy around here) and get your HTML to play nice with your files. Straight HTML isn't going to cut it, especially with what you're going for - I once saw someone's notes for a text-based adventure game they were planning to do in HTML - your inventory and location were determined by what URL you were at, and the next set of actions would branch out accordingly. Even for a pretty simple, short game, this was an exercise in madness, and the guy doing it moved to some other, much more flexible language to do bigger and better things that HTML is simply incapable of doing.

If you really want to do all the complex, crazy things you've been saying you want to do with your world and such, a better option might be to get into tabletop role-playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Deadlands, etc. You play them with a group of other players, and another person who doesn't play directly, but instead serves as a storyteller and referee for the others, creating the story and problems for the players to overcome, and reacting to the solutions the players come up with. All this occurs in your imagination, probably with the help of miniature figurines moved on a grid and dice that you roll to determine the outcomes of actions. All the MMOs and single player computer RPGs had their origins in this form of gaming, and yet the analog versions aren't going away because it's an experience none of the video games that have followed them have completely replicated. And because it's in your imagination and how you describe thing, you're a lot more free in what you can come up with for your character to do (within reason).

If you want to see what all this looks like, our very own Peanut has been streaming sessions of a game he's been running with a couple other CAA'ers. If that piqued your interest, look up your local game or nerd shop, there's usually ads for groups or places where they meet, and most won't mind teaching a newbie. Best of luck!
Davidizer13

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed May 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Well, yeah, that's what I meant. It's possible to make MMOs with HTML (at least, that what a quick search says), but it won't work for what he wants. I'm assuming he's thinking about 3D.

Not that it matters, because he can't draw/model anyway.
Ante Bellum

Postby SilverToast » Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:I see what you mean the possibilities can't plausibly be unlimited because my mind is limited because only ONE has an unlimited mind and He created the universe by exhaling carbon dioxide in a sequence of words(speaking) and I most definitely am not He . Although no one will win in my lifetime because everything that was including rights my game(s) and company will be given to whoever finds my easter egg(read Ready Player One. you'll get what I'm trying to accomplish) I'm guessing that making any sort of mmo style game would be difficult because it would require constant updates to the code to make sure the users don't get bored. It could be tiring but it will be worth it if I ever create a successful mmo.

I read the plot summary of Ready Player One because I don't have time to read the whole book. I like the concept but it doesn't seem viable for an mmo. In my opinion, the story would fit a single player rpg better .

Never thirsty! wrote: I know hypertext Markup Language 5 already and I am learning JS I want to learn C hash tag(kidding don't take that seriously hash tags are dumb I hate them. C sharp is what I was talking about) but can't find a website to learn it on. Is there a language called C flat (i guess it'd be for 2d game/graphic design because flat)?

No, there isn't a c flat programming language.

See the previous posts of what you can do with other programming languages with more capabilities. As well as the previous post by Xeno of the names for C++ and C#. They explain this better than I could.

@NeverThirsty Are you serious about developing a video game? Did you just want to talk about your idea for an mmorpg? Not necessarily about making it, but just what would be on the game.

@Ante I see what you did there. haha
SilverToast

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu May 22, 2014 3:22 pm

I don't think he is. If he were, he'd have given some thought to what he could and couldn't do and researched languages. It's just another of his several "projects" fated to go nowhere.
Ante Bellum

Return to New Projects and Ideas