Fairy/Folk tales collection

Projects or project ideas in the works

Fairy/Folk tales collection

Postby invaderv93 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:44 am

Hey guys! V here with another project (Lord, I have too many; ADHD in action and all). I'm working on a supernatural adventure series centered around lesser-known or misinterpreted fantasy creatures from around the world. I have a decent-sized list of creatures and stories to work with, but I'd like to add a few more. Do you guys know any interesting fairytales? Heard of any cool mythical beasties I should include?
invaderv93

Re: Fairy/Folk tales collection

Postby drill » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Not exactly sure what you mean here V, but Satyros and Gutrals are both cool fantasy creatures that aren't really well known. I might know a few more, but I can't think of them right now. :XD:
drill

Postby invaderv93 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 am

They both look cool, but I think they're original, copywrited character designs. : ( I need something out of the public domain, like old real-world folklore.
invaderv93

Postby drill » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Ah, sorry V. I thought you were doing this just for fun, in which case, wouldn't have mattered if you used the characters or not. Honestly, I'm not too good when it comes to real old world folklore, sorry I couldn't be much help.
drill

Postby WorldsTraveler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:18 pm

I’m a fairytale enthusiast and I just finished a re-watch of the King’s Quest series, so I’d love to fangir- I mean, make suggestions!

Some of my favorite lesser-known mythic creatures are the firebird, water panther, and karkadan. The firebird is quite different than the phoenix in its’ portrayal and role in stories, though few people realize this. I love reading the variations of the firebird myth (and Ivan’s adventures). The symbolism of the bird and the elements surrounding it (the golden apples, the garden and cage) and how it affects the other characters has often been of interest to me.

I’ve never seen anyone use the water panther in a story, but I’m very curious about it. I’d like to see interpretations and expositions on the legends.

And I’ve been playing around with the concept of the karkadan for some time now. It’s one of those beasts that I wish more fantasy writers were aware of because it would make such a splendid opponent!

You said you were interested in ‘misinterpreted’ creatures? In that case, I’d love to see more classical portrayals of the fae/faerie (perhaps the Celtic and Irish legends in particular). That race has been huge in the fantasy market for the last decade, but I haven’t seen many versions that truly felt mythic.

There are lots more beasties I’d like to see, but those were the first ones that came to mind.
WorldsTraveler

Return to New Projects and Ideas