I am working on making a pc game where ever decision you make changes the outcome of the next step

Projects or project ideas in the works

I am working on making a pc game where ever decision you make changes the outcome of the next step

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:44 pm

I intend for the game to be a 3d first person rpg fighter where your character starts with no skills bug discovers texts hidden throughout the game that give him/her depending on if you want to be a boy or girl your character is 15 he was adopted by his sensei (this is a cutsceneat the beginning of the game your parents are killed by Lunarus(taken from the root word lunar meaning dark in this case pure evil) who rules the world so your goal is to find out about your past and who you are and who you are because you never met your parents you've been living with your sensei for as long as you can remember but he never teaches you any of his fighting style because you're too young to learn it so you have to find the hidden texts that reveal moves you start of with basic street fighting type combat stuff if you chose the path of good if you choose the path of evil you know the basic strikes but still need to build on them and your goal is to avenge your parents I know it sounds cliche but once the actual game is being worked on it will be different.
Never thirsty!

Re: I am working on making a pc game where ever decision you make changes the outcome of the next step

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:03 pm

It's been done before. They've got a patent, even. (Please don't read all of that, it'll make you a worse person, whether or not you agree with what he's saying. Also, nobody, to my knowledge, has made a serious game based on that patent.)

Also, from your other posts, don't you have bigger things going on in your life than making vaguely defined KICKING RAD video games?
Davidizer13

Re: I am working on making a pc game where ever decision you make changes the outcome of the next step

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:07 pm

You're going to make all the assets yourself, right? Or commission them, right?
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:29 am

Do you even know how to cj bro?
Xeno

Postby DaughterOfZion » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 am

Lunarus(taken from the root word lunar meaning dark in this case pure evil)

Uh, I don't know where the heck you're getting these definitions from but that is definitely not what those words mean at all. Luna (lower case L when not at the beginning of a sentence; Luna refers to the roman goddess of the moon.) just means moon. Moon. Nothing else. And lunaris, with an i- not a u, is already a word. It only means "of the moon".
DaughterOfZion

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Loosely transalated Luna means night which is why I'm using it to mean darkness, yes xeno I can code JavaScript and C# but I'm making this game with the unity 3d engine and I purposely spelled it with a Lunarus with a u so that the way the name's pronounced is different and I'm not the only person working on it a bunch of my friends are helping as well it's not just me we are still throwing ideas around but that's what we're thinking our game should be except spoiler your character dies in the end no matter what what story we choose but there will be a sequal I can't tell you how that would ruin the whole plot
Never thirsty!

Postby goldenspines » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Loosely translated from what language? XD; As a student of Latin for five years of my secondary education, "luna" means moon or month in almost all Romanic languages (Romanic languages are those based from Latin). The Latin word for night is "nox", and darkness is "tenebris".

Yes, Lunarus sounds nice (it's also been used before, though), but even that translated from Latin has the same meaning as "lunaris" which means "lunar" or "of the moon", as DoZ mentioned.

But do yourself a favor and try to get your English perfected before you dive into more languages. And also, have an official Merriam-Webster's dictionary handy at all times to double check your definitions. If you can't find a printed one, here is the website: http://www.merriam-webster.com/

On the subject of your game. Okay, it might be cool and the next best thing, or it might not. Anyone can spout ideas, but start making it and show us what results you come up with. It's just a vague idea right now with no real drive behind it (that we can see). Results speak louder than words. So get to it, man.

Good luck.
goldenspines

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:Loosely transalated Luna means night which is why I'm using it to mean darkness

Very loosely translated, apparently - "Luna" is just the Latin word for the Moon.

yes xeno I can code JavaScript and C# but I'm making this game with the unity 3d engine

You can learn how to program, and you can learn how to program graphics into a game, but you have to make those graphics in the first place. (And by JavaScript, you mean Java, right? The two are related, but JS is for websites while just Java is for programs.)

At any rate, I'd suggest you look into Game Maker for a possible alternative, if you find that building 3D assets is over your group's heads. There's been a lot of commercial or near-professional quality games made in GM (Iji, Hydorah, Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Runman: Race Around the World and more), and from what I hear, it's a lot easier to get into than a straight computer language. You might have to scale back your plans for a 3D first-person game a ways (maybe even back to 2D), and you'll still need to have someone good at spriting or animation around, but the bar to entry is a lot lower.

and I'm not the only person working on it a bunch of my friends are helping as well it's not just me we are still throwing ideas around but that's what we're thinking our game should be except spoiler your character dies in the end no matter what

So not every decision you make changes the outcome of the next step, if your character dies no matter what. I'm not saying you can't do that in your story, but you can't make that claim if there's something you can't change no matter what you do. Goldy's right - you can promise and plan to put all you want into a game, but it doesn't mean a thing until you can actually play it.

but there will be a sequal I can't tell you how that would ruin the whole plot

Protip: Don't get too ambitious yet. Figure out if your first game/story/whatever is going to fly first, build it so that it stands on its own, and THEN think about what you're going to do in the sequel. Otherwise, you could get so hung up on the next one that you forget to make the first good. There couldn't have been a Dragon Ball Z if Dragon Ball hadn't been a success.
Davidizer13

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

So we have a ton of games in the beta stage does anyone know if I can use js to make a gaming website we are working on just demos that will be free to see how people like our games and depending on which games get more attention those will be what we take all the way.
Never thirsty!

Postby Xeno » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:01 pm

That isn't how this works. You develop a game (and you don't use javascript to do it, that is for websites not video games) and release a demo to generate interest in the game. You don't make several free demos of half-baked ideas and then run with the one the most people liked. You waste more money doing that.
Xeno

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Pick one idea and stick with it until the product is finished.
K. Ayato

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:25 pm

No Xeno first of all I said I'm using unity 3d second. I'm using js to make a website I'm using unity 3d for the games third I will finish the betas then I wil select a few games from each category like 3 fighting maybe 4 RPGs a couple sports maybe 1 shooting and 1 puzzle or maybe I'll get together some of my church friends to test my top 3 faves from each category and pick 1 and their pick decides which games get sold
Never thirsty!

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:41 pm

You...DO know how much Unity costs, right?
Ante Bellum

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Forget that, do you know how much time a good game takes to make? The guy who made Cave Story took five years to make it, mostly on that, with only a couple (very small) side games. I've backed an indie game's Kickstarter a ways back, and even with ten developers and artists, it's going to take a year from when they got funded to when they have a finished product, not counting the time they worked it up to the point where they had material for the pitch video. All on one game.

Sure, you can do the Ludum Dare thing of making a game in 48 hours. You can even make a reasonably OK game in that time. But unless you spend a lot longer refining and expanding it, it'll be nowhere near something I would consider paying for. I'm not telling you to discourage you, I'm just saying that I'm not sure you understand the time it takes to make one good game, let alone ten.
Davidizer13

Return to New Projects and Ideas