The Great CAA Webcomic: Recruitment

Projects or project ideas in the works

The Great CAA Webcomic: Recruitment

Postby OfficerSting » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that many of us here at CAA have at least toyed with the idea of making a manga of our own. Some of us have unpublished comics or a webcomic. For all I know, some of us may even be professionally published.

For many of us, however, our dreams of creating something to call our own remains but a dream.

Why is that?

Maybe we lack an artist. Maybe the ideas don't flow fast enough.

No more.

I hereby declare that those of us with the aspiration of writing comics for the internet shall come together and create a comic for Christian anime fans, by Christian anime fans.

What this Is
Simply put, this a a joint effort to create an original comic for the glory of God and for the enjoyment of ourselves and potentially others.

Who is Needed
Everyone. If you have the means to help, even it is merely putting a link on your website, it is appreciated. I myself am a writer who will occasionally add my input, but I am by no means ahead of anyone else. I will, however, oversee the project, just to see how everything is going. Specifically, we need...

1) As many writers as possible. If you have an idea for a plot point, an arc, or a script, bring it forward. Decisions for the plot will be determined by majority

2) One artist. In this thread, if you wish to be that artist, post a link to your artwork. The artist will be chosen by majority.

3) Someone who can design a website for the comic and can have it hosted for free.

4) Anyone willing to advertise the comic on their site for free.

Conclusion
Check back with this thread often. Here you will find who you'll be working with. Also, it is where the artist will be picked. Lastly, if this project takes off, a new thread will be made for ideas concerning it, so keep your discussion of that to a minimum for now.

Who's with me?
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." [SIZE="2"]Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)[/SIZE]
OfficerSting

Postby Atria35 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Honestly, this sounds awesome. I'd sign up as writer, but I don't know if I have any good ideas. I can throw a few out there, though!
Atria35

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Moved to New Prodjects and Ideas ^__^

Sounds like a great idea ^__^ I'd love to see this worked out ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby goldenspines » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:13 pm

You're willingness is amiable, but realistically, you need to give people something more to work with than "Let's make a manga!"
Give people a specific goal, something they can bounce ideas off of and develop a organized solid idea/plot to go on and that everyone involved can be inspired about! If this is an exciting project to you, get others excited about it too! :D

A single artist for the project may also be hard to find (to work for free, that is). You may have better luck getting multiple artists to work together.

I've seen a few ideas like this before (for CAA manga, that is) that didn't go through, hence why I'm a tad skeptical. Depending how things go, I would be willing to help however I can, but at this point, since the idea is very vague, I can't give much but advice.

Best of luck to you and everyone.
goldenspines

Postby AtmosBreak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Well I actually quite like this idea and would love to be a part of it. I'm not an artist really but I think I can help out with the writing part. I have actually had two ideas nagging at me in my mind for like a month or probably more now for a manga xD. You did say as many writers as possible right?

I do think it is a little too vague atthe moment but I'm sure we can all work it out
[INDENT]
"'You are the light of this world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.'

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Light Club"
[/INDENT]
AtmosBreak

Postby raider~joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:24 am

I have only written fanfics but I have wanted to do a original story.I could help.Is this going to be a christian comic or a comic made by christians?
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby Midori » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:44 am

I also am a bit skeptical this'll work, but I would be very happy if it did.
raider~joseph wrote:Is this going to be a christian comic or a comic made by christians?
Based on everyone's opinions in threads about christian comics in the past, I think I can say that the majority of CAA users will probably want a comic that is not explicitly Christian, or a direct allegory of a biblical story. I think they'd rather have a story that is original and new, but that shows a Christian outlook on life. So, the latter: a comic made by Christians.
Midori

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm a fanfic writer, so I'd like to give it a go.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

submission

Postby piffle » Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi, people. ^_^

First post!
Longtime lurker, I finally got the gumption to sign up.

Anyway, I'm an absolute sucker for interesting ideas, so I decided to try my hand at this. I have a few ideas for stories myself, but they're pretty good at staying ideas. For the past year, I haven't made any manga, as I've been working on making visual novels. However, I want to get back to my first love, manga. Here are a few humble examples of my most recent scribbles.

Sorry they're some are just pictures; I haven't quite gotten used to my new scanner yet.
I'll reupload them tomorrow when I get the chance.

An example of a detailed chibi. I can do stylized too; look at bottom left for that...

A stylized picture of a girl with a basket...

A character I designed a while ago. Manga-style...

An example of my inking from one of my VNs...

An example of my coloring skills (Which aren't very good. Anybody willing to be a colorist?)...

Another example of coloring...

And lastly, thumbnails of a manga I've brainsparked in the last week. I know it's hard to make out; the paper is divided into 8ths and each eighth is a page. Traditional Japanese right-to-left. The layout is odd; but it helps me see a two-page spread. I know it's not legible; please just look at the layout and how the pictures pace.

Thank you for your consideration. ^_^
piffle

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 am

piffle (post: 1476191) wrote:Hi, people. ^_^

First post!
Longtime lurker, I finally got the gumption to sign up.

Anyway, I'm an absolute sucker for interesting ideas, so I decided to try my hand at this. I have a few ideas for stories myself, but they're pretty good at staying ideas. For the past year, I haven't made any manga, as I've been working on making visual novels. However, I want to get back to my first love, manga. Here are a few humble examples of my most recent scribbles.

Sorry they're some are just pictures]http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i421/choklit_ink/Photoon2011-05-02at21022-1.jpg[/IMG]

A stylized picture of a girl with a basket...

A character I designed a while ago. Manga-style...

An example of my inking from one of my VNs...

An example of my coloring skills (Which aren't very good. Anybody willing to be a colorist?)...

Another example of coloring...

And lastly, thumbnails of a manga I've brainsparked in the last week. I know it's hard to make out; the paper is divided into 8ths and each eighth is a page. Traditional Japanese right-to-left. The layout is odd; but it helps me see a two-page spread. I know it's not legible; please just look at the layout and how the pictures pace.

Thank you for your consideration. ^_^

Your art is fantastic Piffle! :o
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby piffle » Tue May 03, 2011 10:15 am

Sapphire225 (post: 1476309) wrote:Your art is fantastic Piffle! :o

:D Thanks!
piffle

Postby rocklobster » Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 pm

I do have some ideas for stories that I'd love to pass on if anyone's interested.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby piffle » Tue May 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Here are updated links for three of the pictures.

chibi girl

basket girl

My Character

Yay, I love my new scanner. ^_^
piffle

Postby R86 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:22 pm

I would be glad to help with the one thing I might actually have some talent in, editing the script -- whether for spelling, grammar, usage, or whatever. Only my current efforts are reminding me that even once you think you have the script perfect, once you go to draw it, there is less than half of the room you hoped you had for the text....:eh:
R86

Postby raider~joseph » Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 am

I have been doing a lot of thinking.I am just gonna throw this out there but the writers should start a thread or something to develop a story concept.We need to get a basic plot and some characters written down before we draw anything.(Don't flame me I beg you its just a suggestion.)I can write hyper characters and villians...I am extremely adapt with villians but given enough time I can design other characters types.I can run down couples and rivalries very well also.

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby piffle » Thu May 05, 2011 11:59 am

Mmmm, I agree with Mr. Raider over there. It's great that there's enthusiasm for a project, but all too often, I've seen "Hey, I've got this great idea, who wants to work on it?" threads usually end up dead pretty quickly.
I don't see a really need to make a new thread; perhaps just post story ideas here, and from those, vote for one by the masses. Maybe a deadline, like by the end of two weeks for story outline submissions? Then have the artists submit samples of character concepts from those stories. By then, there'll be something concrete to work on instead of a pie in the sky.
Just a suggestion. It's your call, Officer Sting. Managing a project is hard work, and gets choppy when there are a lot of chefs stirring the soup. :) But I think CAA could manage to pull together an excellent stew.
piffle

Postby Atria35 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I also think you're right, Raider. We do need to start throwing out ideas.
Atria35

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu May 05, 2011 1:57 pm

I'd gladly volunteer as a writer! I think it would be fun. But before we throw out deadlines and start doing story submissions, I think we should ask everyone some basic questions.

What sort of story do we want to do?

What theme or what do we want to tell in this story?

What is the purpose of this story?

Who are we writing to/why type of story?

SDG

Edit: Also I think we should really classify this as a project or approach it as such. That way we can ask eachother what we each want to see in this project.

And to answer some of those questions. I'd personally like to work on a multi-charicter romance like a shojo manga. But if we did that I think we ought preset which couples end together. A fighting manga would be fun too.
This

Seto_Sora

Postby raider~joseph » Thu May 05, 2011 9:38 pm

I like stories like that they have easy pairings and room for characters that can touch our hearts and tickle our funny bone and stay with us forever.But it has 1 huge con.Originalty.You see that concept has been used so many times its hard to make it stand above the others.I don't want to have it end uo generic but it can't be too overdone either.I suggest we incorperate(or however you spell it)that as a sub genre for another story type.That makes it easier to give it a original concept.I like stories with a fair deal of love,loss,and discovery on the battlefield.It would pose how we as humans deal with what is thrown at us in life.It would appeal to many people who want to believe something truely good exists and that we are a part of it everyday.That would also be our point to get across.Themes like that are needed and timeless.Its the smaller details that are tricky.

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri May 06, 2011 1:38 pm

This sounds really cool! The kind of help I can offer are....

Writing. I love to write. Just tell me what the main story is about (or is it a collection of many?) and I can help with that.

Advertise. I can link it in any of my sites, also, when I publish my own comics, I would be happy to feature an advertisement splashpage of it at the end of the book. ^.^

If you already have enough writers and do not need my services, I would be happy to REVIEW this project from time to time on my anime/manga reviewing blog.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu May 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Well, it's been almost a month since the start of this thread. Has any progress been made on this or have things trickled into the woodwork?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby raider~joseph » Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 pm

I ACTUALLY HAVE 2 IDEAS!:D The concept is that 11 people who don't know each other get thrusted into battle by discovering they have elemental powers.It starts with 11 chapters for each character's backstory and a 12th to unite them.Then we write the basic plot out.
I call it: "The 10"(They get ranked 0-10 later)

or

This story about the world if it was inhabitted only by otakus. Haven't worked out the kinks.

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Return to New Projects and Ideas