Video Game Reviews Database development thread

Projects or project ideas in the works

Video Game Reviews Database development thread

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:56 pm

This thread is the general discussion thread for development/construction of the Video Game Reviews Database (VGRD). Please do not post reviews here. Project timeline will be open ended, as all work is volunteer (read I'm doing all the programming and I'm lazy). Major Milestones include:
1 User Requirements
2 Management Approval
3 System Design
4 Implementation
5 Testing

The purpose of the system is to provide reviews of video games from a Christian Perspective. This is vague enough that it can get blown out of proportion very quickly. Reviews should include genaric enough information about the game so as not to ruin the plot. They should also include discussions of things in the game that might offend Christians. This will include developing a list of categories that are likely to be of interest to our target audience. (See the bar graphs in the Anime Reviews Database for examples).

- USER REQUIREMENTS / QUESTIONS -

* For RAD (rapid application development) puroposes, I'd like to steal as much code as possible from the ARD. That being the case, what requirements do we have for this system which would not be included already?

* What categories of content should we include in the "bar graph" area? My initial list includes: Age, Rating, Violence, Gore, Nudity, Sexual Themes and Negative Religious Themes - with detail boxes for each area where additional information (such as examples) can be included.

* What other sections from the ARD should we use?

Let the discussion begin.
Mithrandir

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:54 pm

Here's my idea on what to include:

Quick info
Name:
ESRB Rating:
Content descriptor:
Platform:
System Requirements:
Reviewers System Stats:
Publisher:
Producer:
Genre:
Reviewer:

The Game structure
Presentation: The opening of the game, story (no spoilers), what you can do in the game, menu.. etc..
Graphics and Frame-rate:
Game-play:
Sound:
Music:
Closing structure comments:

Content:
Violence:
Blood/Gore:
Language:
Nudity/ Sexual Themes:
Multiplayer: A description on the online community
Negative Religious Themes:
Overview:

I think that covers everything...
Link Antilles

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:07 pm

How about a "side quests" section? Or is that getting into too much detail in a review?
Mithrandir

Postby Link Antilles » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:38 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:How about a "side quests" section? Or is that getting into too much detail in a review?

Yeah, I kinda’ forgot about something like that, we could make it more a general category... like “replay valueâ€
Link Antilles

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:33 pm

What about a "My
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby madphilb » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:55 pm

Since it's such a big thing in many games, a seperate "Magic content" item for the Content section might be good, instead of just lumping it into the "Negative Religious Themes" section.

Ya know... I thought of something for this yesterday morning on the way to work, and I can't think of what it was I was going to suggest..... hopefully I'll remember it later.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:56 pm

How about a FEAT
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:50 am

Replay value = Good Idea.
Number of players = good idea.
As for a "opinion" category, that would probably fit into the "overall rating" I think.

Hmm... Magic Content vs Negative Religious themes. Hmm...

Let me mull that one over.
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:48 am

*bump*

Any other ideas? More comments? Questions? Concerns?!?
Mithrandir

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:43 pm

What platforms will reviews be accepted for?
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:45 am

Well, I don't really care. I'd take them for everything from PC to console to cabinet. Anyone think that's a bad idea?
Mithrandir

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:01 pm

Aight, I went back and revised it….

Quick info
Name:
ESRB Rating:
Content descriptor:
Platform:
Number of Players:
System Requirements:
Reviewer’s System Stats:
Publisher:
Producer:
Genre:
Reviewer:

The Game structure
Presentation: The opening of the game, story (no spoilers), what you can do in the game, menu.. etc..
Graphics and Frame-rate:
Game-play:
Re-play value/Multiplayer:
Sound:
Music:
Closing structure comments: generalize opinion

Content:[B]
Violence:
Blood/Gore:
Language:
Nudity/ Sexual Themes:
Online Multiplayer: A description on the online community
Negative Religious Themes:
Additional Negative Themes: [I]Drug content, Gambling, “Magicâ€
Link Antilles

Postby Zilch » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:24 pm

I'm all for Link's idea's and structure.

But one thing I think we need to keep in mind, is that unless you're writing a preview, brevity wil be an issue. Hardcore gamers like me love long reviews, but what about the so-so's? They don't like hearing about frame skipping(weirdos...).

Just my two cents(sense?)...
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Kireihana » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:58 am

Zilch wrote:I'm all for Link's idea's and structure.

But one thing I think we need to keep in mind, is that unless you're writing a preview, brevity wil be an issue. Hardcore gamers like me love long reviews, but what about the so-so's? They don't like hearing about frame skipping(weirdos...).

Well since they're planning on having the reviews in sections like the ARD, those people can just skip over the technicalities if they don't want to read them. I agree with you though. Graphics are important!! :lol:

I'm excited about this. I'd love to help, but unfortunately I can't do any of that complicated programming needed to set this up. O.O If there's anything I can help with though, I'd be obliged.
Kireihana

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:40 pm

Acutally, you did. You might not have realized it, but you reminded me about this. It had kinda fallen off the back burner. ><
Mithrandir

Postby Destroyer2000 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:31 pm

Heh, I've thought about this as well. I agree with the idea of seperating magic from the 'Bad religion' section, even though they are the same. We tend to be pretty vague about the magic content in the Anime Reviews, from what I've seen.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:57 am

Well, there's always the point that magic isn't considered "bad religion" by some people, but that's a debate I REALLY don't want to get into. I think it's a good idea to separate them too. Any other comments on link's format? Speak now or forever hold your peace.
Mithrandir

Postby Saint Kevin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:13 pm

I'd like something that addresses the overall creativity or innovation of a game. Is it an old, overdone formula (both in story and gameplay) with really no redeeming qualities, or are the developers really taking a chance in innovating the industry?

With so many copycat games, and rampant sequelitis running through the video game industry, I feel that it is important to point out what exactly distinguishes a game from the crowd. Also, it's a good thing to have a separate numerical rating and brief explanation for this category, as it summarizes in brief one of the most important things in a video game review IMO. This is good for the casual gamers who might not read an entire review.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:24 pm

WHOA! I completely forgot about this! I'm still in, of course!

Saint Kevin wrote:I'd like something that addresses the overall creativity or innovation of a game. Is it an old, overdone formula (both in story and gameplay) with really no redeeming qualities, or are the developers really taking a chance in innovating the industry?

That would normally fall under the presentation category. Could be a sub category.. if there's something noteworthy in the game.
Link Antilles

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:47 am

I like that idea, but I am slightly concerned that doing a great many categories will make the reviews SO large that no one will want to read it...
Mithrandir

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:45 am

Uh... soooo.... what's the status, Oldphil?
Link Antilles

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:16 pm

Let's see...

The VGRD's status is unchanged.

My status is: "Putting in long hours trying to migrate all the functions of dead legacy server to a newer box."

:sweat:
Mithrandir

Postby glitch1501 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:37 pm

heh, i cant wait for this to come about

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:24 am

O'yeah, I forgot about this...sorry to bring this up late... just curious, what about the organization of the games? Like from system to system. There are a lot of systems out there..... how hard would it be to program it the organize/categorize the games under the individual consoles? Or should we just divide it into just "classic" and "new"? or just post reviews in one big 'ol list? - OR could you just wait and see what reviews for what systems are sent and then divide them out into categories?
Link Antilles

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:59 pm

poor OldPhil... *sigh*If I k
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:42 pm

Well, if this ever gets off the ground, I'll be happy to contribute what I can.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:16 pm

Actually, due to the way I code, the PHP isn't the tough part. I can borrow nearly the entire ARD for this project. The TOUGH part is figuring out the fields in the database - which is mostly comprised of figuring out what kinds of stuff we need to ask for in a review. I've read through most of this stuff, and I think I've got enough (of everything except time) to get started. I'll have a few other mods help me weed some things out, and then I'll get started.

So this is your last chance everyone. See anything here that's left out?
Mithrandir

Postby Ashley » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:28 pm

The other thing is finding a reliable source to efficiently verify reviews--as with the anime reviews part, we don't want to put our name to it officially until someone on staff can attest to its veracity. That might slow the process down too, even when the database is up and running. Same goes for the next logical addition to the reviews--a manga database. Just thought I should let you guys know up front.
Ashley

Postby Saint Kevin » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:56 am

I'm pretty sure we covered everything to be honest. I can't wait for this to start (no pressure). Keep plugging Old Phil, it will get done eventually.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby MasterDias » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:16 pm

Ashley wrote:The other thing is finding a reliable source to efficiently verify reviews--as with the anime reviews part, we don't want to put our name to it officially until someone on staff can attest to its veracity. That might slow the process down too, even when the database is up and running. Same goes for the next logical addition to the reviews--a manga database. Just thought I should let you guys know up front.

How is this going to work? What if no one on staff has played and/or beaten the game in question? I can see that happening far more often with video game reviews than with anime reviews.

There are a lot of video games out there, some of them rarer and/or not as popular as others...

In any case, I can contribute some reviews as well once this is up and running.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Next

Return to New Projects and Ideas