Video Game Reviews Database development thread

Projects or project ideas in the works

Postby Ashley » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:25 pm

We would approach it in the same way we do when someone submits a review no one on staff has seen: we consult several, several sources we trust and analyze what they say against what the reviewer says.
Ashley

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:54 am

Yup. I have a lot of REALLY avid gamer friends at my church who LOVE to drone on and on about video games. Either:
1. They may sign up for CAA just to post reviews.
2. or they will look over reviews and let me know what they think.

And there are lots of sites out there who do very thourough video game reviews. Our purpose here it not to re-invent the wheel, rather to give a "one-stop-shop" for our members, and anyone else who happens by...
Mithrandir

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:14 pm

PM reviews to me, I wouldn't mind checking them out.

As for MY reviews, I'm a perfectionist, so I'm always as accurate and detailed as possible when it comes to stuff like this.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:52 pm

Soooooooooooooo.... Oldphil, any new news of newness about the VGRD? I'm still here and playing video games. :)
Link Antilles

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:37 pm

Wow! I've been tryin to think of something that I could do to be helpfull around here... I think I just found soething! I hope that this gets off the ground soon. I would love to either help go over reviews, or provide a few myself (Note: I may have some time restrictions occasionally, but I will help as much as I can! ^^)
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Ky Kiske » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:41 pm

I might not be a great tech guy but I've played my share of games and I will be glad to help contribute.
Justice divine has weighed: the doom is clear. All hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here.
--Dante Alighieri The Inferno
Ky Kiske

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks for the note! At this time, this project is on hiatus until my wrists heal up a bit, and we get a few other things fixed up.

*looks around*

Yeah, a little paint, some plaster in the walls...
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:06 pm

I'll probably submit a review for Soul Caliber 2. BTW, does "bad religion" apply to made-up religions, like Talim's being a wind priestess?
rocklobster

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm sure bad
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:31 pm

rocklobster wrote:I'll probably submit a review for Soul Caliber 2. BTW, does "bad religion" apply to made-up religions, like Talim's being a wind priestess?

I believe so and the rating would represent degree of how much emphasis it put on it (some try to skew with Christian values). Talim's being a priestess would probably fall at a 1/10, because it's only mentioned in the character's profile (am I correct?) and most gamers (including myself, unless I had to review the game) would ignore it or think not too much of a fighting game's contestant’s stories in general.

I'm sure bad religion would be used to describe things that are blasphemous to christianity.

Technically, from your example, the gay part of the Wiccans would fall under "sexual themes."

As for things like psychic powers, and gambling, that may be very offensive to some Christians and not so much by others, would fall under "other negative themes", I think.
Link Antilles

Postby rocklobster » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:39 am

[quote="Link Antilles"]I believe so and the rating would represent degree of how much emphasis it put on it (some try to skew with Christian values). Talim's being a priestess would probably fall at a 1/10, because it's only mentioned in the character's profile (am I correct?) and most gamers (including myself, unless I had to review the game) would ignore it or think not too much of a fighting game's contestant’s stories in general.

Yes, that is correct, except for her "wind, guide me" line. OK, what about Sophitia's invoking the Greek gods? Granted, no one celebrates that religion anymore, although we still read the myths. Personally, that being the case, I doubt anyone would have problems. I'll post my review in a separate thread so you can comment.
rocklobster

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 am

rocklobster wrote:
Yes, that is correct, except for her "wind, guide me" line. OK, what about Sophitia's invoking the Greek gods? Granted, no one celebrates that religion anymore, although we still read the myths. Personally, that being the case, I doubt anyone would have problems. I'll post my review in a separate thread so you can comment.

I cannot remember, but does she (Sophitia) call upon them during a battle taunt? If so, this like Talim's wind issue, worth a small mention. However, the main focus should be darker playable characters, like Nightmare and such.

I don't think Mithrandir wants folks to be posting reviews, right now. Now, if you want my feedback, you can PM it to me if you like.
Link Antilles

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:57 am

Link is pretty much right on. If we get too many reviews here now, that's a bit unweildy. I *AM* glad that people are still interested, though. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby Myoti » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:26 pm

I can't think of much to help in the set-up, but I'd definetly like to help write/look over reviews when this gets up.
Myoti

Postby Slater » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:32 pm

so, when do you think that that database will be ready? as you know, I have one review ready to submit...
Slater

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:26 am

OK, Link, I'll PM you a trial review by Monday. Here are some other titles you can reserve me for:
Ehrgeiz
Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts I
Katamari Damacy
RPG Maker (PS One version)

also, what's the word on series that seem to have titles that aren't that much different from each other, like your sports titles or your wrestling. I mean, pretty much the only thing those do with each sequel is update rosters (and move lists for the wrestling stuff) and tweak create a character modes.
rocklobster

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:27 pm

I'd like to request we not "reserve titles" just yet. We've got a bit of work to do still, and that's a snowball that will just continue to get larger. And larger. And... you get the idea.
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:53 pm

Can we review web games too? Like Insaniquarium or homestarrunner's stuff?
rocklobster

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:14 pm

So, what's the progress so far?
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Well, I'm currently persuing other interest areas. I'll get to this one, but it may be a while. I'm spending quite a bit of time cleaning up stuff, right now.
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:58 am

I'm resurecting this (I don't know when this will be ready, but I want you to know I haven't given up. ;) ) I'm focusing on a slightly modified version of Link's list (not to be confused with a linked-list).

Here's how you can help. I need some brainstorming, and maybe a bit of information about the following things:

1. How do we want to do the platforms? I think it would work best as checkboxes where you can select all that apply. I will need help coming up with an exhaustive list of consoles.
2. How do to Number of players? Radio buttons: 1, 1-2, 2+, 3+, 4+ would work well.
3. Sound/Music: Open text field, or 1-10 radio buttons?
4. Genre: Do we want checkboxes? Should we use the genre options from the ARD?
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:37 am

I like the radio buttons better than the open field. I think we need a checkbox for multi-platform games. That should reduce things a bit.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:23 pm

hmmmm, now why didn't i notice this thread before.....i had to go looking for it to see if one really existed

ok, i agree with the checkboxes for the platforms, that way everyone knows what platform is which

Number of players? radio buttons would work fine, or if you could find something that resembles the buttons from the old nes controller that could work too

Sound/Music: i'd go with a 1-10 scale, but perhaps have an optional blank for extra comments on the music, like if it was soothing or very upbeat, that sort of thing

Genre: i would use checkboxes, but also provide one labeled other simply because there is every once in a while a game that you just can't fit into any of the main game genres, either because it combines so many parts of other genres or because it doesn't have anything to do with any of the other genres, these would be rare, but they do exist

and on a personal note, i'm very much looking forward to the opening of the game review section, i do miss the days when i could go to the guild and post a review myself, but alas, such is life
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:32 am

I don't want to create too much work, but I think a combination of radio buttons/checkboxes and text boxes would be ideal. For example, when a game is made for multiple platforms, you could check all that apply, then [if you've played it on multiple platforms] write in which system has the best port. Alternately, you could just give a text box, which would mean that you wouldn't need to put together Ye Olde Master List of Nearly Every Console Ever. For genre, I'd be tempted just to put a text box, since they mix elements of genres together now. For sound/music, definitely a text entry for what you thought of it. This would include voice acting [if applicable] as well. Radio buttons would be fine for number of players.

T-K: IIRC, "radio buttons" doesn't refer to the image used, but to a set of those little round buttons in a web form that allow you to only select one. They're usually round. If I'm right, they got their name from old-school car radio preset buttons, which were more mechanical than they are today. The button would remain pushed in until you pressed another, in which case the first button would pop back out.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:02 am

Raiden is correct. We're still working out some of the kinks behind the scenes, but we'll likely have something in the near(ish) future.
Mithrandir

Previous

Return to New Projects and Ideas