How to Create a web comic on CAA

Projects or project ideas in the works

How to Create a web comic on CAA

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:21 pm

So I'm thinking about creating a webcomic and posting it on CAA.

I haven't been a member on this site for long so i'm not sure if i can post anything or not in terms of web comics.

so my first question is.... can I create a webcomic despite me not being around for a long time?

second: how do you post webcomics on this site?

third: what are all the offical policies that I need to know about posting web comics on CAA?

fourth: This is a two part question.
first part: do all comics become sole property of CAA or do they still remaind the property of the artist,as long as the artist maintains the rules and policies of this site?
second part: If the comics still remain part of the artist's property. where do I go to copyright my materials if I post stuff here?

So if I can get any answers from anyone(especialy Moderators and admins) I would be really grateful. Thanks
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Peanut » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

I'll try my best to answer these questions for you...even though what I've done seems to be entirely different from what you are doing.
F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:so my first question is.... can I create a webcomic despite me not being around for a long time?

Yes.

F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:second: how do you post webcomics on this site?

Depends on what your doing. For my sprite comic, I just posted the images directly onto the thread by using Imageshack. However, the strips I use tend to be rather small in size so I can get away with that. You also need to take into consideration people's comments. The thread for my sprite comic is mostly comments with the occasional sprite comic. I don't really mind this style too much, however if I make more strips (and I plan too) I will probably have to look to elsewhere to post at least the earlier ones so individuals don't have to scroll through miles of posts just read the entire sprite comic. If you're planning on doing something large, then I would recommend finding a site to host it on that isn't CAA, then just post the link in the thread you make for it. If you want people to be aware of updates, then all you do is mention in the thread that you've updated your webcomic. Of course, if you don't want to do that, then you could create two threads, one for your webcomic and the other for comments and then emphasis that you want people to post comments only in the thread designated for it.

F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:third: what are all the offical policies that I need to know about posting web comics on CAA?

You need to rate it (Instructions can be found here). Also, if you are planning on posting the images directly onto CAA, I'd keep it as PG as possible (in other words, don't swear and keep the violence to a bare minimum.) Along with that, I think there is a limit to the size of an image you can post on CAA, though I don't think you'll get anywhere near it.

F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:fourth: This is a two part question.
first part: do all comics become sole property of CAA or do they still remaind the property of the artist,as long as the artist maintains the rules and policies of this site?

The comics will always belong to you, even if your main characters are members themselves.

F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:second part: If the comics still remain part of the artist's property. where do I go to copyright my materials if I post stuff here?

This is one question I can't really answer. However I'm pretty certain that if you google "Copyright services" you could find something.

Hope that helps.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby shooraijin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Peanut pretty much hit it on the head.

Also, as far as copyright goes, just the mere act of creation is technically enough (in the USA and probably with other signatories to the Berne convention), but if you want to go the extra mile, I would start with the USPTO's own FAQ: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:53 pm

F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:so my first question is.... can I create a webcomic despite me not being around for a long time?
No, you need the Three Week Pin.
F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:second: how do you post webcomics on this site?
You can link them to another site, or host and post it like you would any other image, using the image tags.
F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:third: what are all the offical policies that I need to know about posting web comics on CAA?
Peanut covered this one.
F.M Disciple (post: 1305507) wrote:fourth: This is a two part question.
second part: If the comics still remain part of the artist's property. where do I go to copyright my materials if I post stuff here?
Considering CAA is largely a non-profit hobbyist board, I'm fairly certain Ashley won't be knocking on your door in the middle of the night to collect royalty fees.

Mith Maybe.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1305565) wrote:...I'm fairly certain Ashley won't be knocking on your door in the middle of the night to collect royalty fees.

Mith Maybe.

knocking? Assuming you can do that with a clue-by-four, maybe.
Mithrandir

Return to New Projects and Ideas