Talker/Text environment

Projects or project ideas in the works

Talker/Text environment

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:02 pm

I'm sure someone has brought this up before, but it might be intriguing to have an affiliated Talker or text "theme" environment in conjunction with the home forum.

This is actually something where I can put my money, or servers, where my mouth is, since I've administered these kinds of things before, but I'll just test the waters to see what the interest is. It would be text-oriented so people could connect to it with Java, or telnet, or even clients like GMud, and so as not to interfere with the core forum, it would be live areas only and no message boards.

I have some code sitting around from a short-lived chat area which could be reused (it was general purpose, based on MudOS v21).

Could even use it to run games or areas.

Just a thought, suggestions always appreciated.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:05 pm

OOOOOOOH. What's it writen in? :)
j/k. I'm interested!
Mithrandir

Postby Straylight » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:31 am

Is this like a chat room/mud hybrid system?
Sounds nifty to me :)

We're tryin to find a chat room solution at the moment :D
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:32 am

>Is this like a chat room/mud hybrid system? Sounds nifty to me
>We're tryin to find a chat room solution at the moment :D

Actually, that's almost exactly what it is, the way I have the prototype code written. If there's further interest, I'll develop it out and put it up for use (it's in a runnable state now, just not fully fleshed out). There's a Power Mac server here that it can run on.

oldphil, the driver is in C, but it's actually just an interpreter for a multi-threaded language called LPC. The core library that actually runs everything is in LPC, not C (a much more congenial language). LPC got farmed off into a scriping language called Pike, btw, but MudOS maintains the original.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:39 am

Okay, I have the driver compiled and the lib code installed on helsinki. A few more tweaks (plus a new 10/100 NIC that I meant to install earlier), and it should be up in a couple hours -- I want to recompile the NetBSD kernel as well, since it keeps forgetting its root device.

If people want access, for obvious reasons it doesn't let just any old Joe create an account just yet. PM me with your desired name, or AIM me "cdkaiser". I should be around the apartment most of this morning and afternoon PDT, and in and out this evening. I'll give you access details. You must have access to Telnet, since the Java portion isn't running (yet).

shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:43 pm

It's UP! The driver is running and the port is accepting connections.

Bug me for login details.

shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:53 am

Okay, Java client installed. NB: I can't get it to cooperate with Mac OS X (and I use a G4, sigh) because of Apple's broken applet support. It will work in OS 9, or in Classic under OS X, using a browser like Netscape 4.7 or 4.8. It also works fine on Windows 98, so it probably works on 2000 and XP as well (tested under Virtual PC).

Bug me for the URL.

Also, filesystem commands are installed (there are now primitive forms of ls, cd, more and tail, and access levels are tweaked). You can also look at man pages for most of the driver efuns, and for some of the lib sfuns and lfuns (those I got around to writing).

Man, I'm tired. :stressed:

shooraijin

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:46 am

(laughs) I'm just so impressed that we have members capable of this. Thank you for your hard work.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:31 pm

> Thank you for your hard work.

Arigatoo :-)

I'm going to try to complete the access levels code on my day off this week, and tack on some ability for private rooms. At that point I think we would be provisionally ready to go, pending "administrative approval" ... :cool:

Not long to go. Most of it was already written for an older project, and I kept it around.

shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:27 pm

Access levels written properly now for administrative privileges, and I figured out what was wrong with Virtual PC and logging into the Java client (thanks djnoz for letting me harrass you to try it out :) ).

Maybe in the next day or two I can make some headway on user management, privacy rooms and controls, and environment-wide chat.

The Java client type size is tweaked, too.

shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:43 am

Out of curiosity, how many languages (natural and artificial) do you know?
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:39 pm

Naze shitsumon suru ka?

shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:34 am

Update on this --

Over the weekend, I added on code for: user control (and banishment/removal, sigh -- that shouldn't be necessary in a perfect world), overhauled administrative access levels, expanded out the backbone rooms (there's now a volunteer conference room, a fireside room, and a couple extra outside areas) and made them a bit more interactive, added the global chat line and info lines, added command alias support, and better editor support (so people can change documents and files while logged into the environment).

After I add IP-blocking support and (maybe) custom room support, I think it's ready to go.

shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:47 am

Also, I changed the character save file format slightly. I think I updated all the current test users to match, but if you get a weird error when you log in, PM me with the error and I'll fix it.

shooraijin

Postby Straylight » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:09 pm

A button is on its way. If I added another one to the current bar it'd mess things up in the 800x600 mode. So I'm going to add a second set of buttons and rearrange the header layout a bit. :)
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby Retten » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:11 pm

I tried it out its pretty cool a little confusing though :dizzy:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:10 am

:rant: :Why such a HORRIBLE java library for camino. Stinkin, rotten, lousy, no-good, blathering Apple!

OK. I'm better now. At least telnet looks like it's working. I typed: "Be Annoying!" and it said, "You are annoying!" For some reason I found this strangely satisfying. ;)
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:56 am

Hmm. How tough would it be to add 'scroll-back' capability to the system? Even 10 lines would be cool. If there are terminal compatability issues, can we enable it for ANSI only, or something?
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:30 pm

There sort of is scroll back already; type

help rewind

shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:51 pm

That's not really what I was referring too, but I see now that it's the best way to interperate it. What I want is the equivilant of the up arrow in bash.
Mithrandir

Postby madphilb » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:48 pm

I tried the Java app (I'm going to have to use a Telenet otherwise I'm going to have problems with my eyesight going anyway).... the Java window cuts off the text on the right on some lines.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:23 am

Yeah. The java App wigged out my 98 box something fierce! It trimmed the right n columns and flickered about 8 times/sec. Eep! It's putty for me all the way (unless I'm on the Jag box).
Mithrandir

Postby Straylight » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:23 pm

/me has some problems with the java app too. That's why I connect using my MUD client :)
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:12 pm

Telnet *is* the best way. The Java client is just there for people who are scared of telnet ;)

shooraijin

Return to New Projects and Ideas