Death Note doujinshi (artists/contributors welcome!)

Projects or project ideas in the works

Death Note doujinshi (artists/contributors welcome!)

Postby minakichan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:56 pm

Hey all,

Death Note's one of my favorite manga of all time, but I've always felt that even though the series is mainly psychological thriller and drama, the fandom is oversaturated with yaoi and crack fic and doujinshi, so I've always wished that I could see more gen fandom. Because of that, I'm hoping to produce a Death Note doujinshi. There are a lot of mysterious issues that came up for me when I first read the manga (Misora Naomi's suicide, the Death Eraser, many of the Death Note rules that aren't used) that I had hoped would be cleared up, so I want to expand on them in this doujin.

The story is basically an AU starting from volume 2, in which one small miscalculation on Light's part changes the entire outcome of the story. The comic would be very long-running-- dozens of pages-- and because it would be such a huge commitment, I'm trying to gauge opinions and gain feedback-- if you think the story sounds worthwhile or interesting-- and, if there's enough interest, I would like to recruit artists-- foreground, background, inkers, toners-- and any other contribution-- writers, editors-- to possibly make this a group project. The only thing I insist on doing is thumbnails and maybe pencils, because those are my favorite.

Loose story points are below; I will post more information if interest exists. There are many details I have not fleshed out yet.
-When Light writes for Misora Naomi to commit suicide, he does not realize that Naomi is currently pregnant with Raye Penber's child; the Death Note rules state anyone under 720 days cannot be killed, and that one person's death cannot cause another's, so for nine months, Misora essentially becomes unkillable.
-Misora, alive and aware that Light is Kira, finds L; the two of them eventually obtain enough evidence to publicly announce to the world that Yagami Light is Kira. Light is forced to run away from home as a fugitive from the law, and Amane Misa is able to track him down and help him out.
-Meanwhile, Misora, as the only one who can actively pursue Kira, is hot on his trail. Stuff happens. Eventually, the stress of pregnancy forces Misora to stop her pursuit, and once she gives birth, Light is soon able to kill her.
-Because Misora's unnamed child is completely innocent and poses no threat, Light and Misa feel compelled to take him up.
-Four years later, Light, still on the run from L and his own father, is [SIZE="1"]growing facial hair[/SIZE] living secretly with Misa, and the two are working on world domination (XD!) while raising the child (whom they call "Hitomi").
-Unfortunately, four-year-old Hitomi is a bit "damaged" from their influence-- Light actually coerces him to trade eyes with Ryuk, and he helps his papa and mama kill criminals.
-Stuff happens, which I am not going to spoil yet (partially because I don't have it all down yet). The ending will be similar to Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky; you can take a guess as to what that means.

Other aspect that I hope to include: Death Eraser, Kagami Tarou, a resurrection (probably Raye Penber), Mello, Near, Mikami, Takada, Shidou and the 3rd note, Yagami Soichirou's agony over his son, Matsuda's ambiguous opinion of Kira, the 0.06 second rule, the 4 unintentional misspellings rule, namelessness.

I know it's not much, but I'm only going to keep writing if there's interest. Please tell me honestly if you think this is worth pursuing; if you think it really sucks, then I'm perfectly happy to give up and do something more worthwhile.

EDIT:: My art stuff is at http://minakichan.deviantart.com . I am hoping to make this project of equal or higher quality to the comic I am working on right now for RSoM: http://minakichan.deviantart.com/art/RSoM-8-RED-001-65002641
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby rii namuras » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:08 pm

[color="Red"](Sounds fantastic. You can write me in as an artist (preferably penciler/character artist. Character work is my forte). Work may be found at rii-namuras.deviantart.com , as well as some *practice* comic work. The pages there aren't done to perfection.)

(The only caveat I'll place is that I'm moving next month and will be without a computer for a week or two. However, I'd still be working, it'd just take a week or two to get the work done in that timeframe to you.)[/color]
rii namuras

Postby minakichan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Hey thanks. I'll look into your portfolio. Production wouldn't start until January 2008 anyway, as I'm just gauging interest at the moment. I'd like to note that since character art is possibly the most prominent in a manga, it's also the most preferred for artists coming into projects, so I can't guarantee that someone with an interest in that field can automatically get that position.

This reminds me; I should have posted my devart link. I'm at http://minakichan.deviantart.com ; I would like to, if at all possible, make this a work of at least equal, if not higher, quality to the comic I am working on right now (for Rising Stars of Manga): http://minakichan.deviantart.com/art/RSoM-8-RED-001-65002641 .
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:48 pm

My God, Minakichan, do you eat, sleep, and breathe Death Note?
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:04 pm

@anony-chan: this was a while ago. I think I realized that this plunny just isn't fleshed out enough to work, so I'll probably not pursue it after all. I'm going to wait until you're done with college apps, and then we'll figure SOMETHING out.

By Zeus, Fish and Chips, do you eat, sleep, and breathe spite? For the record, I am not into it as much as I was a few years ago; still, I fail to comprehend why on earth you even give a heck.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby onecool_girl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Have you been working on this recently? Or do you need more support?
Cause I am *really* interested in this! :D
onecool_girl

Return to New Projects and Ideas