What makes the best title?

Projects or project ideas in the works

What makes the best title?

Postby Denimcat » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 am

This seemed like the best place to ask.

For my next manga, I have several similiar possible titles lined up and I can't seem to pick one. The story revolves around two girls who stay together despite their radically changing lives, and various cheesy metaphors pertaining to shooting stars abound.

That said, what sounds best?

.....if more info on the embryonic project would be of help, I suppose I could spoon it out of myself. (I really hate describing things I come up with)
Denimcat

Postby SP1 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:27 pm

Well, I picked Shooting Stars, but I think something that doesn't spell it out this blatant would be better. If there's star imagery and the two girls stick together, maybe Binary Stars (they orbit each other)? What do the shooting starts represent? The girls' dreams, their fame, wishes? Sometimes shooting stars are an omen. Hmm. Star of Omen sounds ominous.
"Those who believe will be saved...so they say. Get it?"
Sister Rosette Christopher

Sorry ladies, already married to HitomiYuriko , but it took both our efforts to come up with daughter Althaia

Please use the Haibane Renmei Lesson Plan

MOES: Can't scroll this.
SP1

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:41 pm

Any of the bottom three. I don't think the top two titles read very well. Other than that it is probably a matter of taste.
uc pseudonym

Postby Esoteric » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Well, given the choices, Shooting Stars sounds simple and classy. However, SP1's idea of "Binary Stars" is certainly more original, and rather clever considering the subject. If you don't like Binary Stars, and if Shooting Stars seems too generic, I think you should come up with more options regarding the name. Don't rush it, the best title will eventually make itself obvious.
Esoteric

Postby Denimcat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:39 am

Binary Stars is a good concept, but it seems like it might confuse people (I know I'd never heard the term before - maybe I'm just an idiot?). I'm afraid people would hear it and go ".....huh?".
Denimcat

Postby Esoteric » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:21 pm

You'd hafta have taken an astronomy class to be familiar with the meaning of the term. If people find it intriguing enough, they can look up the meaning for the added insight. However, like I said, the best title will make itself clear eventually. If you don't like Binary Star, that's fine. Keep looking. It's your manga.
Esoteric

Postby soul alive » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:54 am

I voted for "Shooting Stars." Out of the options, it's the simplest, the others seem a bit wordy to me.

If I may, I'll suggest a few other ideas: "Stars in Our/Their Eyes" "Written in the Stars" "Star-Crossed"

Best of luck with your project.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Return to New Projects and Ideas