Haibane-Renmei Curriculum

Projects or project ideas in the works

Haibane-Renmei Curriculum (Caution: Spoilers Ahead)

Postby SP1 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:44 pm

After having viewed the Haibane-Renmei series, the thought occurred to me that this could be used as a good adjunct to a Sunday School series. Targeted at youth or young adults, probably. Sort of like the Andy Griffith show thing, where you show an episode (about 20 minutes) followed by general discussion of a theme, related scriptural references, etc.

<<<Warning: If this thread develops there will be SPOILERS AHEAD.>>>

This series has several good themes: Nature of sin, Forgiveness (both of one another and sin), Descent into - and recovery from depression, Care of the new member to the faith, Suicide, Seeking guidance from a minister/priest, and (if you are so inclined) Concepts of Purgatory.

Of course, the director did not intend that this series depict some specific theology, he states as much in one of the on-disk interviews. That doesn't mean it can't speak (OK, it's the Holy Spirit speaking) to Christians.

So, anyone interested in working on this? I'm not talking about publication here, just development of an instructor/facilitator guide.

EDIT: OK, this actually did work out. After a lot of posts, several edits, and actually using the guide for my adult Sunday School class, it is finished!

Have fun with this! Don't read it before you watch the episodes, because there are lots of spoilers, but only for each episode, so you can read the lesson plan for each episode right after you watch it.

Please go to the LAST post in this thread for the Lesson Plan Document.
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:01 pm

Absolutely. In fact, an acquaintance was planning to use HR as a "Faith in Film" series at her church.

I totally agree that, although Yoshitoshi ABe did not "intentionally" portray Christianity in HR, he addressed so many themes of sin, guilt, redemption, and forgiveness that you cannot help but think there was Someone else working through him. ABe himself cannot say where he drew on all these images, only to say that he sat down at his Mac intending to write an outline for all 13 episodes without ever using the "backspace" except for typographical errors.

In any event, I am more than happy to collaborate with anyone interested in exploring this project further.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:36 pm

OK, since there is at least one person interested...

I will work up a brief episode guide with my impression of the main theme. We can bat that around a while before we try to flesh out individual lesson "plans."

Get in the mood, opening and closing songs here:

http://www.bictody.com/animeguide_haibanerenmei.html

A good place for detailed episode guides and a discussion of symbolism:

http://cff.ssw.net/
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:24 pm

Go for it!

***SPOILERS WILL BE THROUGHOUT THESE POSTS FROM THIS POINT FORWARD. DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED ALL OF HAIBANE RENMEI!***

There, that ought to scare 'em off...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby kazekami » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:01 pm

I see I'm nt the only one who noticed. I was planning an academic paper on themes of Sin, Redemption, and truth in Anime and Manga. I was going to focus on Haibane Renmei as well as Madlax and FMA. When I saw Haibane Renmei I was amazed at the beautiful story. I was amazed because at first it looked as though the girl with the hair sticking up, can't remember her name was the focus, but the real focus was the older girl. It was intresting how the feathers started appearing dirty while the sin was not delt with and while guilt was there. But once it was dealt with the wings were light gray again. Plus the fact that the older girl could not go on while she didn't deal with her sin. It's been a while since i actauly saw the series. I need to get a hold of a copy to review for my paper.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:37 am

kazekami wrote:I was amazed because at first it looked as though the girl with the hair sticking up, can't remember her name was the focus, but the real focus was the older girl.

One of the keys to the series. You think, "Oh, this is going to be a story about Rakka"... but suddenly near the end you realize it's really about Reki. A beautiful twist.

It was intresting how the feathers started appearing dirty while the sin was not delt with and while guilt was there. But once it was dealt with the wings were light gray again.

Tsumitsuki, translated sin-bound or guilt-ridden, was also a very, very dramatic way of expressing the particular Haibane's spiritual condition -- especially for Rakka, who was quite proud of how she looked. For Reki, it was slightly different -- she was born that way, and had to deal with the rejection from the people of Guri, and especially from Nemu.

Plus the fact that the older girl could not go on while she didn't deal with her sin.

This is an extremely important point that passes some viewers right by. For most Haibane (Kuu, Kuramori), the Day of Flight is driven by instinct -- they hear the call and disappear without a trace. But Nemu is able to put her Day of Flight off -- how? We don't know. Washi says it is Nemu's problem to deal with, so it obviously isn't quite natural. It likely has much to do with how Nemu initially treated Reki... Nemu's the most spiritual of the Old Home bunch, and I think she felt her own version of guilt (especially in light of how she saw herself and other Haibane, revealed in her gift book Sekai no Hajimari to Sumika).
ClosetOtaku

Postby kazekami » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:31 pm

I definetly need to rewatch it before I write my paper. but I defintley se Nemu as having her own guilt due to how Reki was treated.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Lesson Guide, original

Postby SP1 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:52 pm

OK, here is a first cut at the lesson guide. Only the intro and first lesson (episode) are developed. There is also a list of questions at the end that will, eventually, be added to the later episodes. I stayed away from the crow symbols since I think these are supposed to be Tengu, temple protector spirits from Japanese mythology. In that sense, the crows might be the real "angels" of this series, but why they would eat the Haibane's garbage is a theological stretch. They behave more like, well, gaurdian spirits with an attitude than anything in mainstream Christian thought.

Comment at will, or better yet, fill out some of the blank lessons or scripture references.

<<<The less guide has been updated. Please search for a later post with the correct version.>>>
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:01 pm

SP1 wrote:OK, here is a first cut at the lesson guide.

Good work! Your focus is on a "new arrival" is appropriate. Some comments:

You throw in a couple potential spoilers (most not large ones): "following rules" (that would be more appropriate in Ep 2)]normal[/i]; the mention of humans (we don't learn that until Ep 2); and the question of a Haibane emerging when no one is around -- that's a major spoiler from Ep 10 -- I would suggest leaving that out.

In HR, I was particularly impressed by the "home" environment, the unity, of Old Home -- it isn't until later we learn it wasn't always that way -- but Rakka's arrival must be terribly, terribly confusing for her. The "home" concept is important in her making a successful transition to Guri. Note the "assignment" of roles: Hikari is the ring bearer; Kuu brings the First Aid kit (but keeps it out of Rakka's sight!); Reki does the naming; and Nemu officiates over it all (missed that? She's the one who called all the other Haibane together...), leaving Reki "in charge" for the bloody wings-out.

So, to all, gifts are given...everyone has their role.

Now, Rakka's arrival could be a potential point of discussion: what was your experience like joining a church, or becoming a Christian? Was it a familial welcome? Did someone help "walk you through" the first steps like Reki did for Rakka? Was there a point where you had to go through a traumatic experience, like Rakka's wings coming in, as part of your conversion?

And... yes, we can talk about it from Rakka's POV, but what about from Old Home? How enthusiastic were the Old Home folks to have Rakka aboard? Of course, we know it was a special event for them -- do we, like the angels, celebrate at the arrival of a new member? Remember the story of the Prodigal Son, remember the story of the Workers at the Vineyard. Both of these were told to warn believers, not unbelievers.

Just some of my thoughts... please continue! You're doing great!!
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:26 am

Ah, now that I've seen episode 1 again, I see what you mean. Somehow, the content of the first 2-3 episodes had blurred together in my mind. Thank you for the comments. I will update the plan, delete it from the earlier post, then post a new one in a couple of days. :angel:
SP1

Postby SP1 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:49 pm

OK, Episode 1 looks finished. Here is an updated version. :angel:

{Revised for Episode 2...Please check with a more recent post.}
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:06 pm

I very much like this. It's a good start, and it doesn't give away the rest of the series.

That's another thing I liked about HR: everything seemed so harmless until Ep 6...

(In some ways, that's like being a new Christian, too: everything starts out on the Mount of Transfiguration, but then you have to go back down to the valley, and... on to Jerusalem...)

Terrific first chapter! I'm anxious to see what you might have for the second chapter.

In fact... I have one comment re: the Toga, but don't want to stand in the way of your creative process. I'll contribute it ahead of time, but only with your permission...

Thanks!!
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:54 pm

Oh, by all means bring on ideas for Episode 2. I just watched it again last night. Very pleasant episode, but the themes of Rakka wondering about her past and the way all the Haibane help her out sort of carry over from the themes of Episode 1. The Toga, rules about what you can own, the barter system, and the HR association taking care of needs are all things we can use, but it will take some finesse to have the same instructional impact as lesson 1.

ps: watching this series a second time is bizarre, since you know what is going on in Reki's head.:angel:
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:26 am

Agreed re: re-watching. The first viewing is enjoyable, but the second viewing is phenomenal: you suddenly realize why everything was said the way it was...

Here's just a short note on the Toga, I'd want to develop this further on a future post: Note the restrictions on the Toga (cannot talk to or touch the Guri people, very much obscured in their manner of dress, only ones allowed in and out of the city, etc.).

Start thinking along the lines of the Tabernacle, and the rules and regulations that the Levites and High Priests had to obey when working there. The Toga are, if you will, analagous to the Tabernacle/Temple workers, which is a type and shadow of Christ's sacrificial office.

The High Priest could not enter the Holy of Holies without significant preparation in terms of dress. He also could not be ritually unclean, which meant abstaining from a number of foods and personal practices.

We haven't seen yet how these practices affect the Haibane (that comes in Ep 3 and beyond), but we do know that the Wall is a sort of barrier itself, as is the Renmei Temple. The Toga are allowed in and out, but must maintain certain standards of "holiness" -- being set apart -- in order to be allowed to interact with the people of Guri (in trade).

So, episode 2 begins to introduce the concept of personal Holiness -- something that can be tied in with other rules of the Renmei that we did see in Ep 2, such as the requirement that Haibane must work, and that they must use second-hand clothing and items. The Haibane live among the humans, but they are set apart, as the Toga are set apart...

And now comes the clincher: are the Toga and Haibane somehow related? Are Toga failed Haibane? Or are they Haibane who have had their Day of Flight and are now returning to minister to the town of Guri and, in a way, the Haibane themselves?

These questions need not be raised in the discussion for the class per se, just seeds for thought (although details of the Toga-Haibane connection should probably not be even mentioned much before Ep 9).

Well, thanks again for listening, looking forward to your next chapter!
ClosetOtaku

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:21 pm

This is spiffy! I just watched the first episode today, and absolutely loved it! Tying in the Christian themes is an awesome idea too :D I think this will probably shape up to be my favourite series because of that :thumb: Keep up the good work
Hephzibah

Postby SP1 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:14 pm

ClosetOtaku wrote:Start thinking along the lines of the Tabernacle, and the rules and regulations that the Levites and High Priests had to obey when working there. The Toga are, if you will, analagous to the Tabernacle/Temple workers, which is a type and shadow of Christ's sacrificial office.

So, episode 2 begins to introduce the concept of personal Holiness -- something that can be tied in with other rules of the Renmei that we did see in Ep 2, such as the requirement that Haibane must work, and that they must use second-hand clothing and items. The Haibane live among the humans, but they are set apart, as the Toga are set apart...

I was leaning along these lines for the EP2 outline. Some of Paul's writings on the Christian (spiritual) life: Romans, 1/2 Corinthians, Titus. In some ways the Haibane are set apart, but yet set among, society. The trick will be to discuss this without giving the future episodes away. Working on it! :angel:
SP1

Postby SP1 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:14 pm

Work is a zoo. Not enough anime time. Must...force...self...to...write...lesson...plan...

And here it is, lesson 2! :angel:

{Revised for Episode 3...Please check with a more recent post.}
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:42 pm

SP1 wrote:Work is a zoo. Not enough anime time. Must...force...self...to...write...lesson...plan...

And here it is, lesson 2! :angel:

A good, church-oriented perspective on the Haibane theme. Very practical. I tend to look at the theological side, focusing on type and shadow, but it is easy to "lose sight of the forest because of the trees". Your approach is much better in this context.

I cannot wait to see your thoughts on the next Chapter, especially the part where our enthusiastic friend Hikari doesn't do a good job of "prepping" the newborn for her first trip to the Temple... :)

Thanks again, and keep up the good work! (If you feel like turfing a chapter or two out to one of us in the Peanut Gallery, please let me know!)
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:20 pm

ClosetOtaku wrote:(If you feel like turfing a chapter or two out to one of us in the Peanut Gallery, please let me know!)

Thanks! As long as I don't get writers block, I'll keep going. Nevertheless, I greatly value the comments on the series and lesson plan. It makes writing it worthwhile.

Removed for revision, please see a later post. :angel:
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:11 pm

SP1 wrote:Thanks! As long as I don't get writers block, I'll keep going. Nevertheless, I greatly value the comments on the series and lesson plan. It makes writing it worthwhile.

Revised for Episode 3 and some new intro material. :angel:

OK, gotta be honest here -- I really like your addition of the quote from the Sermon on the Mount. I never really associated it with this series, but now that I see it... it makes a lot of sense. How much grief and suffering would have been saved if Reki, instead of becoming obsessed with Kuramori's loss, had instead focused on the here and now? Hyouko and Midori know, for sure. And what of Rakka? Well, I guess we wouldn't have a story then, either. But surely Kuu, of all the Haibane, exhibits this child-like, carefree attitude of seeking what she's supposed to be seeking -- and it is why she beats everyone else to to Day of Flight. Very, very good.

Now, to the Episode review... I think the first few episodes might be harder to write for, as while the analogies between the Renmei and the Church are many, you kind of have to reach from time to time... I feel like there's a little reaching here... not much thinking, more stock and 'obvious' answers...

Actually, this might be a good time to ask the question: what is the general population of believers whom this is aimed at? Newer believers, older church members, teen-agers... I think all might benefit from this exposition, as Samuel Johnson said, man doesn't need to be taught so much as he needs to be reminded...

That said... I think you gloss over one of the most important events so far in the series, that is, the encounter in Reki's room. When we see Reki's Room in the series, we know something important is going on]past[/b]. There is something that Reki is hiding here (this we learn both from the studio and her comment after Rakka leaves). What could the "dream" be? Of course, we need not speculate on that, we'll learn that in Episode 7, but there's at least one skeleton in Reki's closet, and she's none too eager to let it out.

Rooms are an important concept in the series. Reki's room and studio contain perhaps the most horrifying secrets of all, but they are not the only ones. The Temple itself is a room of mystery. Kuu's room will soon become Rakka's shrine to her memory. Rakka's room becomes her hiding place where she silently suffers. The Guest Room is the focal point for Haibane life, but will soon become the focal point for a variety of conflicts as well as a room of Healing (for Rakka and Nemu). And of course (as far as we know) all the Old Home Haibane are born in a room (how peculiar...), but aside from Rakka's birth room, this is the first Haibane room we've seen.

I suppose you could draw a parallel between rooms and a person's soul, or perhaps their mind: a place where various historical knick-knacks are kept, a place where many of us keep our suffering while wearing pasted-on smiles (like Rakka says about Reki and herself).

Just a thought... otherwise, please, keep the outlines coming!!
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:08 pm

I am treading a fine line here with the whole "Reki's past" thing. For those who have never seen the series, they are not likely to realize who the central character is until the end. Not sure how to introduce this other than just in passing at this point. I think the idea that the rooms are symbolic of the Haibane is a good one, although once the Haibane leave, the room is still there, so it's hard to think of it as a soul, per se. Like the whole town of Glie, the world around the Haibane is a reflection of, and reflects, them. I really plan on dealing with the room thing when we get to deal with Rakka's depression later, as that episode has a lot of "room" focus. This is probably something Carl Jung would eat up, but applying it to Christian theology is harder.

As far as the audience goes, I suspect it will either be younger adults (20 - 40 yrs old) and smallish classes (that's what I teach now) or high school youth. The older members might not respond well to anime as a medium, although my choir director (50-ish) watched the whole series in two days when I lent him the 4 DVDs! At our church, we occassionally offer special, limited duration classes on Sunday evenings. [Someone just finished "What would Jesus eat?] This might fit into that mold pretty well, as people expect a different atmosphere at those special classes.

Agree on some ideas being a stretch, it's just what popped into my head when I was watching the episode. Let's just see how this develops. I fully expect to go back a re-write a couple (OK, probably all) lessons once we get most of them done and have the ability to look back. This will prevent duplication. If you have ideas for questions/scripture passages that deal with the room issue, bring 'em on! They might not make it into EP 3, but they will probably fit in someplace. :angel:
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:57 pm

...And in re-reading my post, I hope I didn't sound too critical. Not my intention. But I now agree that visiting the whole "Room" theme may be more appropriate in a future discussion. Just trying to think of something that will keep interest up during the most fundamental, yet slowest, episodes of the series.

Drive on! This is fun (well, for me at least...). Thanks to being open to commentary!
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:15 pm

The Haibane/crow symbolism in episode 4 abounds. Still trying to keep this steered at Christian discussion and not just an analysis of H-R symbolism. If anyone has better scripture verses for some of questions 1-5, let me know!

:angel:

This version has been revised, please see a more recent post.
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:10 pm

In looking at your outline, I am taken back to the central theme of HR: "What are the Haibane?" It is perhaps too early to address this, yet in asking the question of why the Haibane are treated this way, we have to suppose why the Haibane are here in the first place.

So far, Rakka's existence has been without significant challenge (other than the wings-out in Episode 1). Sure, she's had problems with her hair, and she's feeling a little like the New Kid on the Block -- but the worst is yet to come. We don't know that, of course, although there is foreshadowing (Kuu's hat, and her cryptic comments). But why are Haibane treated like Haibane?

In some ways, the Church-theme does break down a little if we only consider Old Home as the model for the Church: indeed, all of Guri is like the Church, and the Haibane are "on probation", if you will. That they will never actually join the "Church" in Guri is part of their probation's sentence. Even if Haibane go on to be Toga, they are never really let in the door and given the same level of acceptance.

Do we have rules in the Church that say this? Certainly we do -- look at Paul's instructions to Timothy. Church leadership is extremely limited in who may be considered a Deacon or Bishop/Elder, and is mostly derived from behavior. The Haibane, then, have in a sense "already blown it", and their time in Guri is rehabilitational. Where do they go from here? That's entirely speculative, but if we want to draw parallels between the Church and either Old Home or Guri, we need to take this into account.

Yet Old Home is almost a Church unto itself: it realizes the children are here for rehab -- the main mark of a Haibane ready for the Day of Flight is that he or she has accepted that they are a Haibane -- and it takes its rules seriously (and when they are violated, the Renmei step in and enforce stern discipline, as we see from Reki's life story). Yet the Haibane will never be fit for service in Guri. Maybe they will be fit elsewhere. That doesn't give the Old Home crowd an excuse to under-perform or fail to adhere to the rules. In fact, if anyone is more determined than anyone else to achieve that measure of holiness, it could be said it is the Haibane.

And that, in my opinion, is why Guri has the sort of love/aloofness relationship with the Haibane. The humans realize the "sentence" the Haibane are under, and give them room to grow; only certain humans (like Sumika) ever get a chance to involve themselves more than peripherally. They are there to help navigate the Haibane through the rough waters, but will not accept their burden from them. Call it missionary work, if you like: the Gurians are missionaries to the Old Homes and Abandoned Factories in their midst.

I figured you might want, very subtly, to drop a couple hints of such things into your outline as you go along, because such things are usually not obvious even after the first viewing: it's only about the third or fourth viewing that you walk away saying, "Geez, the Old Home/Guri relationship isn't all that symbiotic, isn't it? What are the Gurians getting out of this?" And you come to realize that it's just like the Church is expected to behave: giving generously, believing their Reward may not be realized in this life, but that others have a need to be comforted in this life regardless.

Still, your outline is unfolding nicely. Episode 5 is the last of what I call the "nice" episodes. After that, the World gets very Real -- and Guri is not necessarily the safe refuge, nor Old Home the safest place, and the only thing that remains to be overcome is the Self. Not an easy task....
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:49 pm

Yeah, you're right, after EP5 things are going to get serious. I am hoping for a break a little later where the relationship between the people of Glie (Guri) and the Haibane can be explored in detail. Personally, I think the people treat the Haibane sort of like innocent children that are learning their way. The end-of-year ceremony makes it very clear why this is: The wall collects all of the "good" thoughts that the people have about the Haibane and reflects it up to God once a year. This is why the Haibane are instructed to be "good." In essence, they are to conform to an expectation. In a way, the city is like the bottom of a well, a connection made all the more appropriate by the events where Rakka ends up at the bottom of a well.

What do the Glians get out of this? Hmm, perhaps they get to realize that they are living in God's kingdom. They get the Haibane to constantly remind them of that fact. A good reason for the Haibane not to have bad manners. Thus, the humans might be thinking they are getting the good deal, and that the Haibane are blessing them with their presence. They seem generally disturbed when a Haibane leaves, but this would have happened many times over the years. So maybe they don't know why the Haibane are there, but just leave it up to God's will. In that regard, we can make the church connection somewhat. That is, the walled town is the entire church. The Haibane might be like new members (for purposes of this lesson only), who set an example for the other members (people of Glie) as well as reminding them of their salvation and connection to God.

Don't let this go, when we finish with EP13, we can go back and figure out the best place to put this without creating a big spoiler OR creating a big classroom debate on whether this series is symbolic of purgatory. It may turn out that EP4 is a good place to put it. Of course, I do have a lot about the relationship in there already that could just be expanded.

Having said all of this, I don't expect to have a 100% tidy explanation of everything as a part of this lesson plan. I am aiming at connecting scripture and Christian lessons to concepts that people will more than likely think of when they view the series for the first time. :angel:
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:15 pm

...and so far you are doing a fine job!

Looking forward to Chapter 5....
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:58 pm

Revisions added for Episode 5. Mostly I focus on the creation of the world story and being content living in the Kingdom of God. I also added a question to Episode 4 that I misplaced earlier.

This version was revised. Please refer to a more recent post.
SP1

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:10 pm

SP1 wrote:Revisions added for Episode 5. Mostly I focus on the creation of the world story and being content living in the Kingdom of God. I also added a question to Episode 4 that I misplaced earlier.

Ahh, yes. Chapter 5. So many foreshadowings, so little time. Rakka's moment of hapiness before the Other Shoe Drops...

Nemu has been in Guri for 9 years]Sekai no Hajimari[/i], we've debated Nemu's spirituality, and in some ways her suggestion that the Haibane are somehow "flawed" beings by design. Nemu is the most humble and God-focused Haibane, calling God a "Great Being" and praying at Reki's Day of Flight. Still, one gets the feeling that she might be selling the Haibane a little short... or is she?

Once again, we're back to why the Haibane are Haibane. Sumika prods Nemu first, then Rakka -- you see Sumika dropping hints like tiny hand grenades in this and future episodes. I think Sumika wants the Haibane to see beyond the Wall, too, but in a different way...

In any event, the story continues. Your questions are germaine -- Christian knowledge is by divine revelation, not by discovery -----

OK, here is one question that doesn't belong here yet, but is very important to ponder for future chapters: If the Day of Flight is so important to the Haibane, why is it kept in such secrecy?

It is interesting to note that divine revelation tells us everything we need to know about our standing: God's creation, our sin, His redemptive action, our response, and the future. The Haibane apparently have none of that laid out in any sort of organized fashion for their consideration. If the Haibane are indeed here as reprobates from another life, why is their ultimate goal (and fate) so hidden? Or... are they more like us than we care to admit... having messed up once already, they are prevented from seeing until the time is ripe (e.g. the sovereignty of God, election, all those good controversial topics)....

I bring that up only because you contrast the Haibane beliefs with Biblical beliefs... it is not relevant to Chapter 5, but it is very relevant to any sort of further exposition on what HR is about and how it relates to Christianity....

OK, back to you. Questions so far have been good, keeping the pace, now the real fun begins....
ClosetOtaku

Postby SP1 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:15 pm

OK, added closing prayer sections to Episodes 4 & 5. Added another observation (Reki at the library) to EP 5. Added lesson for EP 6. Almost half-way done! :angel:

The Lesson Plan has been revised. Please see a more recent post.
"Those who believe will be saved...so they say. Get it?"
Sister Rosette Christopher

Sorry ladies, already married to HitomiYuriko , but it took both our efforts to come up with daughter Althaia

Please use the Haibane Renmei Lesson Plan

MOES: Can't scroll this.
SP1

Postby SP1 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:24 pm

OK, after some significant thought, here is Episode 7. As I look throught the items at the back of the guide (the "to be used later" list), I see that I have missed a few items. I'll wait to work these in, or discard them, after all 13 lessons are finished. :angel:

Attachment deleted due to revision, please see a more recent post.
"Those who believe will be saved...so they say. Get it?"
Sister Rosette Christopher

Sorry ladies, already married to HitomiYuriko , but it took both our efforts to come up with daughter Althaia

Please use the Haibane Renmei Lesson Plan

MOES: Can't scroll this.
SP1

Next

Return to New Projects and Ideas