The Traveller's Guide: demo ready!

Projects or project ideas in the works

The Traveller's Guide

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:42 am

Well, I've kept mentioning periodically that I've had a game under construction for the longest time now... but, at long last, I've finally got a playable demo ready for everyone to try! ^_^ And, I can never thank Inkhana enough for helping me get a separate site for it all set up, with such a beautiful layout... :hug:

If you're feeling inclined, please go and give it a try! :)

http://themelodymaker.shorturl.com/tg/

[Edit: Some screenshots for your enjoyment.]

[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:00 am

(Please ignore this post.)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:44 pm

(Please ignore this post too.)
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:58 am

well whenever i play, the game kinda like keeps on blinking with black...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:05 am

Hmmmm. First time I see this thread....
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:32 am

Yay -- my thread's at last been bumped by not me! X3

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:well whenever i play, the game kinda like keeps on blinking with black...
I know exactly what you're talking about. I've already had several complaints about it, and I've even seen it in action myself. I did a very slight modification to the engine since then that will allow a workaround -- if you haven't already, go download WIP 3.0.1 and read the part in the manual's troubleshooting section about disabling the DirectDraw acceleration. (Hope it helps. ^_^ )
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu May 05, 2005 9:40 pm

Two quick updates here. ^_^

First: I've released WIP 3.0.2 today, with a teeeeeny bit more content -- but more because I put a couple of engine tweaks in it that should get rid of that mostly black screen so many people have been complaining about, without having to disable DirectDraw acceleration from the Windows Display properties.

Second: There is now some content on the Fan Stuff part of the site -- submitted by our very own, very talented Inkhana and Calbhach. Even if you don't want to bother with the game, at least go check out their lovely artwork! :)
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:54 am

Eeep! I just realised that I hadn't posted here to tell you that the game is really great! :grin: I like the idea of using prayer as a weapon, and although I've only played the demo I am pretty sure that this is going to be a fun game when its all ready :grin:
btw, the fanart is gorgeous!
Hephzibah

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:46 am

Thank you, Talame -- I'm glad you're liking the game so far! :) I'll be releasing new WIP versions of it as I get more content done (and bugs fixed... :sweat: ) so keep an eye open on the site every so often. ^_^ And maybe you should go join the Guiding Her Travels boards, too -- then you'll know for sure when there's an update should I decide to try the board's mass e-mail feature. (Besides my bumping this thread every time... ^_~ )

And about the fan art, I'm not the one you should be complimenting -- Ink and Calbh deserve the credit for their fine talents. :3
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 am

*bump* No game updates yet, but Guiding Her Travels has a new Christmas skin for your enjoyment -- go check it out if you like. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mave » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:01 pm

:eh: Hey, this is news to me!

Honestly, I don't play games but I will support projects by you guys. XD Lemme find the time to check it out and I'll get back to you about this in another post, k?
Mave

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:12 am

It is prooty good. It remindeth me of Pokemon :lol: (except that you don't have defined squares to walk on, and you can jump).

I like lack of instruments for Cheap Sheep Cheese :lol:.

A few suggestions/comments:
This may be kind of hard to change now, but... I don't really like how sometimes the screen slides (to keep Melody in the middle) and sometimes you walk to the edge and the screen jumps over by a whole screen length/width. I think it's a bit inconsistent...

You can sometimes jump on objects and stay there for a fraction of a second, then slide off. Perhaps this is a bug? Maybe there should be more error checking so you can't move over the space occupied by the object...

I'm sure there was something else I was going to say, but I can't think of it...

It sure looks like you've put a lot of thought in to the game's structure as well.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:55 pm

(Sorry to be late answering this thread... ^_^; ) Take your time checking it out, Mave; and I'm glad you're liking it so far, W4C. :)

Warrior4Christ wrote:This may be kind of hard to change now, but... I don't really like how sometimes the screen slides (to keep Melody in the middle) and sometimes you walk to the edge and the screen jumps over by a whole screen length/width. I think it's a bit inconsistent...

Yeah, that would be quite difficult to change now]You can sometimes jump on objects and stay there for a fraction of a second, then slide off. Perhaps this is a bug? Maybe there should be more error checking so you can't move over the space occupied by the object...[/QUOTE]
Yes... >_>; That's a bug that I was never able to work out, though it's easy enough to design around it. What will happen, you see, is that if Melody lands straight down on a tile she's allowed to jump over without moving in any direction after she lands then she'll stay there. It's only when the player moves her will she "slide" to the edge of the tile unless it's in a direction facing away from the center. (There, I just gave you a strategy tip. :lol: )

Thanks again for your interest, everyone -- I'll make sure to give this thread a good bumping whenever I update the game. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:53 pm

Man, has it been almost a year already? o_o Time to give this thread a good bumping! :lol:

I might be a bit slow, but I am still working on this. WIP 3.1.0 is finally ready, with a character personality quiz to go along with it. Please enjoy and be blessed. ^____^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:08 pm

I just today released WIP 3.1.1, with an extremely minor bugfix and a small addition to the manual's Troubleshooting section. (Because I'm forgetful. :sweat: :lol: )

*puts his hands on his hips* ...And it seems to me that maybe I need to do something a bit drastic to get some more interest and feedback for this game that I've poured my heart and soul into for nearly half my life! Perhaps some brand new screenshots, eh? ;)

[Edit: Screenshots now in this thread's opening post.]
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 pm

I've just released WIP 3.1.2, which fixes a minor bug in the main form and DirectDraw startup code and also properly hides the mouse cursor. Also, if you get the "Error initializing DirectDraw" message upon startup, it will also give an error code that will help me figure out why it won't start up.

By all means, please enjoy. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:41 pm

I discovered an issue just this morning and addressed it on the site's Troubleshooting page, but I'll repeat it here anyway for those it concerns: If you play the game in Windows XP and find that the text has a nice-looking shadow that makes it hard to read, turn off ClearType. That is all.

Also, could I please trouble a staffer to change the title of this thread so that it simply reads "The Traveller's Guide" (that is, delete the "demo ready" part of it)? Thank you in advance. :)
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:30 pm

I am very pleased to announce that after some testing, I can safely say that The Traveller's Guide is Windows Vista ready. That is all. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby goldenspines » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Hmmm...it works on Vista now? Maybe I should try it again on XP and see what happens. I've enjoyed playing The Traveller's Guide, but I think it would be better with sound.
In the meantime, I'm a bit stuck in this exciting game of yours, MelMak. I can't seem to beat the guy in the prison. (If that makes any sense). I've tried almost everything.
goldenspines

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:28 am

goldenspines wrote:Hmmm...it works on Vista now? Maybe I should try it again on XP and see what happens. I've enjoyed playing The Traveller's Guide, but I think it would be better with sound.
I should have clarified above. :sweat: What I meant was that I tested my current release under Vista and it worked fine]In the meantime, I'm a bit stuck in this exciting game of yours, MelMak. I can't seem to beat the guy in the prison. (If that makes any sense). I've tried almost everything.[/QUOTE] *nodnod* I know exactly what you're talking about; I wondered if anyone was going to have trouble with him. ^_^; After I get home from work today I'm going to post a short strategy guide for him on Guiding Her Travels, but for now I'll just say that he's weak against Patience and Self-control -- if that makes any sense. :grin:
TheMelodyMaker

Postby goldenspines » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:39 pm

Ah, I see. Thank you MelMak. ^^
goldenspines

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:07 pm

No problem, Goldie. ^_^ Something else I forgot to reply to this morning...

goldenspines wrote:I've enjoyed playing The Traveller's Guide, but I think it would be better with sound.

Yeah, I really wish you could hear the music and SFX]DirectX 8.1b download page[/url]

That'll be safer than going with the latest one (9.0c). :)
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm

goldenspines wrote:In the meantime, I'm a bit stuck in this exciting game of yours, MelMak. I can't seem to beat the guy in the prison. (If that makes any sense). I've tried almost everything.

As promised, my short strategy guide on him. :lol:

[Edit: Link snipped to keep spambots out.]

(Only look if you're really having trouble. ^_^ )
TheMelodyMaker

Postby goldenspines » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:42 pm

And I am REALLY having trouble. :lol:
Thanks a bunch MelMak! ^_^
goldenspines

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:26 pm

Quick update -- I've just today released WIP 3.1.3! ^_^

There is nothing new to the story since I released 3.1.0 back at the end of November, but there is now a new in-game tutorial accessible through Melody's dresser which is hinted at at the start of the game. (There's even some new music to go with it, as a bonus. ;) )

Also, like I said in an earlier post on this thread, the game does work flawlessly in Windows Vista. Therefore, I have updated the manual's Troubleshooting section accordingly.

That is all for now. :)
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am

[Edit: Please ignore what I previously said in this post; I've changed my mind and decided to keep bumping the thread for the sake of those of you here who have been keeping track of the game's development progress (though not making comments... ;) ).

Nonetheless, if you join Guiding Her Travels you'll have the benefit of knowing when there are game updates even before I post here -- so if you want to stay on top of things then please do.

Thanks again to those of you who have shown interest! :)
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:32 pm

The time has come for me to announce the release of WIP 3.2.0 -- containing new content and storyline, some new core engine functionality features and a whole bunch of bugfixes. If you've been following the game's slow but steady progress, please go and check it out and enjoy and be blessed. ^_^

I'd also like to apologize for the fact that I cannot edit this thread's opening post to account for the fact that the external screenshot links have changed picture format, and therefore, file names. (I'd complain, but I already know from reading another thread that Mith is working on the problem as I type. ;) )
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 pm

I just today released WIP 3.2.1, compiled for the first time into Windows native code (which is faster than the p-code I've had to use! ^o^// ) and bearing the ability to be played in any screen mode with a 4:3 aspect ratio at 16-bit color or more (bye-bye startup error messages! ^o^// ), and a few minor bugfixes too.

No actual new game content over 3.2.0, though -- sorry. ^_^;
TheMelodyMaker

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:45 pm

(Mostly copied out of my bulk e-mail to the Guiding Her Travels members...)

I am pleased once again to announce the release of WIP 3.2.2 which, though it still has no new content since the release of 3.2.0 a couple of months ago, now has some new functionality which will help make sure that it runs at the right speed.

In the configuration utility, the screen mode drop-down box will now show not only all the compatible screen resolutions and color depths detected on your system but also the monitor refresh rates -- if your version of Windows supports it. Until now, the game has always run at the adapter default which I discovered on my end is 75 Hz -- but it may not default to that on everyone's computer setup. Now you can actually choose my recommended refresh rate of 75 Hz if it's supported. ^_^

Because of this additional functionality, the SpeedTune value is no longer needed so it's been removed from the configuration utility -- but I've still provided the benchmarking utility for the sake of those who aren't able to pick the 75 Hz option or don't know whether it defaults to that.

One more important thing I should mention is that if you've been installing the game in a version of Windows prior to XP and then getting an error message on startup that says something like "Unable to start Oleaut32.dll", that issue has been fixed as of this release. The manual's Troubleshooting section has more details on that, should it affect you.

Once again, I hope you all enjoy and be blessed by this minor yet important update to the game. Until you hear from me again, keep on singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord -- and have a happy and blessed Christmas and new year! :D
TheMelodyMaker

Wip 3.2.3

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:24 pm

Once again, quoted from my e-mail to the GHT members...

[quote="The Melody Maker"]I know that it was only a few days ago that I released WIP 3.2.2, but I just discovered a more or less major bug today that I had to address. (Sorry, still no new game content yet. ^_^]
TheMelodyMaker

Next

Return to New Projects and Ideas