High School Desciple

Projects or project ideas in the works

High School Desciple

Postby Anison Twilight » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:06 am

I've been playing with the idea of a manga for a long time. This would be a Christian Manga, and the title of the thread is what it's title would be. I have the names for the main characters and what I want the storyline to be, but my drawing skills leave something to be desired. This story isn't meant for younger kids, either. I realize that in today's world we high-schoolers are targeted with all kinds of things that could potentially change our lives for better or far worse. I want this manga to deal with those things, and show how a christian should deal with them as well as show some other things that I see lacking in how people deal with other people, etc. Let me put up the jist of it and see what you think:

Characters:

Roman Peterson: Main Character. The manga is kind of told from his point of view. He is the popular kid at school, more or less, and isn't saved. Don't worry it gets better. He's a Junior.

Autumn "Fall" Carpenter: Main female character. She's a devout christian and very strong in her faith. She used to look rather nerdy (braces, coke-bottle glasses, the whole bit), she was really clumsy, hence the nickname, and she's really shy. This year she has contacts and her braces were removed and she's matured so now she is quite beautiful and catches a few eyes, whether she wants it or not. She's a junior.

Lee Kevinger: Roman's best friend. Lives in a large family. He's the oldest of about 10. He isn't saved either. He is well known as a party guy: he never misses one. He's also a Junior.

Amy Schroeder: The antagonist (I think that's the right term) of our story. No where near conservative. She always wants to be the center of attention. She has been trying to attract Roman to her, but nothing works.

Minor Characters:

Name: Rob Kevinger.
Role: One of Kevin's brothers.

Name: Kayla Wallace
Role: Roman's Mother

Name: Terry Butcher
Role: A friend of Roman. They both pretend not to know each other, but they're really good friends.

Name: Jewl Cremia
Role: Amy's best friend.

Storyline: Roman isn't saved and lives in a split home. This year at school he sees a beautiful new girl who isn't really new at all. It's Autumn the girl who he'd always picked on, but now her appearance has changed and she catches his eye. Autumn has always had a crush on Roman, but knows that it could never be anything more because Roman is not saved. Now the tables are turned, but Roman doesn't understand why Autumn won't go out with him.
As the story progresses Roman is lead to Christ and things get hard for him at school. He and Autumn are dating, but he is constantly bombarded by things of the world and, being a new Christian, things are hard to resist. He goes through many trials and tribulations just to try and keep Autumn, even though people gossip and spread rumors that could potentially break them up.

Note: I want the manga to span Their Junior and Senior year. Any questions or comments? Please post.
I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.
-Job 30:29
Anison Twilight

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:31 pm

I guess that, after reading the gist of your idea, I have this much to say: it could go either way. Generally, manga based on relationships and feelings are not my style (I have both in my real life), but if yours had a strong enough Christian theme, I would read it for more than merely supporting a Christian brother.

Writing manga that is supposed to be based in real life can be tricky. If done well, it will draw readers in. If done badly, it seems cheesy. Until that point, it is difficult to determine what will or will not work. Either way, I'd be interested in seeing what you produce.
uc pseudonym

Postby Anison Twilight » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:42 pm

Thanks. I don't think it will be cheesy, but rather that it will be powerful in the message it brings across. That's what I hope for anyway.
I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.
-Job 30:29
Anison Twilight

Postby Mave » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:33 pm

Sounds pretty interesting to me. ^_^ I look forward to it.

I'm curious to know how Roman became a christian.
Mave

Return to New Projects and Ideas