Animation

Projects or project ideas in the works

Animation

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:37 pm

[this was taken from the thread Infiltrate the Media?, but at this point it was more suited for the new board here]
[original thread can be found at:http://christiananime.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117&perpage=15&pagenumber=1]

Nekomi:
We definitely need to go with our own original animation if we're going to do it at all. Ashley, your skills in video editing and timing would definitely come in handy. ^_^ In order to do this, though, we have to have a clear plan in mind. ^_^

Step 1: Conceptualizing. We need to get a solid theme in mind. What kind of message do we want to convey? We should select an appropriate song to use, God-willing, from a member here who would be willing to contribute (we don't really have the funds or the profile to obtain copyrights on major Christian media). This is a call to all you CAA musicians and writers out there! ^_^

Step 2: Character design. Depending on the nature of the video, we're going to need a few good characters in the production. This is often a lengthy process, but we can band together and do it. This is a call to the CAA artists. ^___^

Step 3: Storyboarding. Basically, this is the "rough sketch" of how the animation will run. (Think manga panels with little descriptions of the dialogue and action going on in a particular scene in the production.) I have limited skill in storyboarding and screenplay, but it's all self-taught... and also, I have no examples I can really post just yet. I'm still working on my own first animation project. ^_^

Step 4: Pencil testing. This is extremely time consuming. ^^ Basically, our team of animators scan in the rough sketches to see if they look right when put into motion, one after another, at the proper framerate. The animation program I mentioned is well-suited to pencil testing, and would definitely work for us.

Step 5: Inking and digital coloring. This is also very time consuming. Our animating team, having finished all the rough sketches, tweaks and inks them before scanning them into the computer. At this point, a team of digital cel painters could use Adobe Photoshop (my recommendation) to color each individual cel.

Step 6: Animating. These digital "cels" are then put into motion using the software, and any visual effects are added (zoom, rotate, focus, pan, transparency, image intensity, stenciling, negative color, etc. as dictated by the animation team). This can be done by a single individual, who would also be responsible for timing and snipping the animation to fit the song.

Then... we add the credits, find a way to publish it, and it's done. ^__^ It sounds easy, but it's a very grueling process, which is why we probably need a team working together. Right now, we can get all the way to storyboarding without needing the software. We can also get promotional materials made for the production through places like CafePress and Kinko's... if anyone would like to take posters and pamphlets to cons and anime meets in your areas once the project is underway, that would probably be the best route. 'Course, since we don't have any funds, we're going to need people to be willing to work as volunteers.

And let's not forget the most important job of all... one *everyone* here can participate in... Pray for this ministry! ^___^ I believe God is working. ^__^

Djnoz
I am going to pray. This is awesome... and has inspired me to practice my music production skills. Let's see how far we can go! With Jesus anything is possible!

Nekomi:
Talking to the programmer right now regarding the animating program... he's excited about this now too. ^__^

He says he can get a basic animation flipper (loads several images and flips them at 24fps, the framerate for anime) ready within a week of working on it. (This guy is a genius. ^__^) Not necessarily a week from now, but a week from when he starts working on it... dunno when that'll be, but we've definitely got some software secured for this ministry. ^___^ Seeing that animation programs are usually around $200 for the most basic, this is one heck of a blessing. Praise the Lord, He is so faithful to His people. ^__^

Anyhow, now to the reason for this post: Nice track, Djnoz. ^__^ The ambience is pretty neat, reminds me of the .hack soundtracks. ^__^ I'd like to hear some more of your music, if you don't mind! ^__^ We're not really looking to get musicians for the game yet, and 'course, it's not my decision anyway. ^__^ But I'm sure we could all use your skills for our music video in the here-and-now. ^____^ Yaaaaaaaay! God is so good! ^______^

Ashley:
I can volunteer to story board, at least some of the shorter ones (haven't ever tried but I know the concept) and I can probably color (not necesarrily ink...eh heh that's a big weak point) but I can add shading and things like that. Also have access to Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, ImageReady, and a cable modem so if I have to dl anything else it's nice and quick. Willing, ready, capable and glad to be of service however I can. Soo....who's got an idea we can mull around?
Ashley

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:26 pm

Argh...I worked so hard on my last post, and IE took focus out of the box you type in and to my favorites list. It does that a lot. I kept typing and it went to a different page, and when I clicked "Back", the box was empty...

Anyway,

I think actually making an anime might be a big step, but it would be really cool...Like maybe a guy (atheist, agnostic?) who sets out on a spiritual journey and in the end, receives Christ.

Like, maybe a series? Get the non-believing watchers hooked, and in the end, present the gospel message...

Input would be great, and I'd be glad to help if this idea (not neccisarily my idea, but the idea of an anime) goes through!
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:52 pm

you have no idea how wierd this is just last night i was talking to inkhana about my idea for making an anime music video.

i was going to draw all the frames and use a flash animateor to run it all togeather at 12 fps
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Straylight » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:19 pm

As a trial run, how about a completely homegrown 1 minute anime music video? All the content would be completely original, and it could be our demo to the world, showing that we mean business. The avi divX could be located on this server.

What do you think guys?
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:53 pm

sounds good to me
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:14 pm

Awesome ... what song?
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Straylight » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:31 pm

I can write music - been doing it for about 6 years now.

The advantage here would be the ability to synchronise the music with the animation. Maybe have a storyboard with some 'moods' indicated thoughout, and then I could compose the song in accordance with these moods. Any talented vocalists around here? If we wrote a song, I could put the vocals to music

http://www.mp3.com/nuco - something I made a while ago. It's sort of like a song. (This track is a bit old -- I've moved on and improved my style since I uploaded it)

I'm particularly good at making dance/techno music.. ie stuff with a good beat. Think: pop music/techno/drum+bass/trance ... all those styles represent what I can do.

Here's something I've been working on at the moment: (right click>save as)

http://www.christiananime.net/test/noz/whytheneigborsmovedout.mp3

You may well not like that track (its a bit noisy and messed up)
.. but as I've said, I write all sorts of stuff.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:18 pm

if someone's willing to draw out the characters, I will run it through illustrator/photoshop/image ready and animate it.
Ashley

Postby nekomi » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:44 pm

Wow, I forgot to subscribe to this thread, too! ^^ Well, just thought I'd let you all know that my friend's animation flipper program will be done by the end of the week... not the fully-functional animator, but good enough to run through our rough drafts and pencil tests. ^_^ Ashley and I have been corresponding regarding our little one-minute demo, and I'm completely up for it. I'd be glad to draw up and scan the actual frames here at home... it's time consuming though, so I can't say how soon it will be. But if anyone can get their storyboards and chara sketches to me, it'd be appreciated.

As for ideas... a while back during a worship service at my church, I was running ideas for a music video through my head. I love using symbolism in my work, so my idea back then was an analogy of the saving power of Christ (pardon the terrible writing):

--

I was sailing along in a small boat... riding against the rough seas all around me. As I struggled to keep the boat on course, I noticed that it was taking on water. I desperately called out to the ships passing me by, holding the people I called friends and loved ones...but there was no answer. They stared into my eyes blankly, and as I strained to see through the blasts, I could see that they were sinking too...

Before I knew it, the ship capsized. I was plunged under the waves, and managed to rise up again with the help of a lifejacket, gasping frantically for breath. I was sure I was drowning... the waves were crashing all around me. I was struggling as I tried to swim, and the waves seemed to grow every passing second. Then, ahead of me, I saw a strange shape, looking vaguely like a cross through the dense stormy rain. Unlike the tossing ships, the huge structure was grounded -- it refused to budge, even in the crashing storm. Clutching at a last ray of hope, I choked and flailed as I called out for help... I struggled towards the cross... slowed by the lifejacket, I threw it off behind me... and by some miracle, I reached the structure and clung tight. I felt myself beginning to black out as I hung on...I called, I cried for help... there came a bright light... and suddenly, I was soaring! I could feel the water droplets fall from me like rain as I felt a pair of strong wings carrying me upwards... and I landed on level ground. I fell to my knees and trembled as I lifted my head to see my surroundings... and a gentle hand reached out to help me up. "Welcome to the Promise. His love is a beautiful thing, isn't it?"

--

Of course, it looks better animated out in my head than written on paper. ^~ But for our purposes, it's short and tells a complete story without coming across as being threatening to the non-believing viewer. Also, it contains plenty of symbols to make the message clear to the believer as well. ^_^ The lyrics to the song could match what's going on onscreen, something just expressing the desperate hopelessness of life without Jesus in the first half, changing to the hope and peace found in Him later in the story. The ending credits after the video could share the Bible message, helping to confirm/explain the story. For instance:

[splash screen 1, black with white text, centered]
~For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.~

~John 3:16~

[splash screen 2, same style as 1]
~"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."~

~John 16:33~

[splash screen 3, same style as 1 and 2]
~If you would like to know more about the special peace found only in Jesus Christ, please contact us at *insert contact information here*.~

[roll credits]
nekomi

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:44 pm

It might not come across as threatening, but it might come across as cheezy...I dunno, i think you're right, i'd have to see it drawn out...
Rashiir

Return to New Projects and Ideas