Manga for my youth group: need some ideas

Projects or project ideas in the works

Manga for my youth group: need some ideas

Postby Keckhs » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:13 pm

Okay, here's what I have so far:

Setting: Gleaming White space station

Year: somewhere around 3010

Plot: Gleaming White space station contains an area of land almost as big as the USA. It is considered a country in itself and even has an emperor. However, this emperor is an evil person. The people of Gleaming White are already pretty evil, along with most of the world. Things only seem to get worst when the emperor declares that it is illegal for anyone to worship anyone but himself. An already existent christain group rises against this. This is the beggining of the adventure.
A christian girl(Anne Candida*) currently living on Gleaming White somehow comes to meet this group, called Team Grace, and get involved.

Info: The branch of Team Grace residing on Gleaming White is known as Team Grace Gleaming White (just like the branch in Colorado is Team Grace Colorado, or in Texas as Team Grace Texas). There are currently nine members of Team Grace Gleaming White, including Anne Candida. They each stand for one gift of the Holy Spirit. The current characters for members I have so far are: Anne Candida, Ginger Moore, Chibi-gin and her pet named Chibi, Jordan Rivera(One guess how I made up that name:sweat: ), Alicia, and Asuki. The space station's officail langauge is Japanese, although the characters will be speaking English most of the time and most Japanese used will be translated.

What I need help with: The word 'Grace' in Team Grace is supposed to be an acronymn for something, but I can't figure out what to make it an acronymn for! Also, I need some ideas for characters and story plots. Although I am currently studying Japanese(via a 'Teach Yourself' book I bought), the book doesn't come with a hiragana chart but it does come with a katakana chart. If anyone has a hiragana chart you could scan and post I'd greatly appreciate it! Again, I'll listen to any of your ideas! The're greatly appreciated!

*The words Anne Candida have Latin and Hebrew roots. When properly translated, the words read 'Grace Gleaming White', which may become the name of the manga.
5 points to anyone who can translate the following:
Namekemono no neko wa mazui na tabemono o tabemasu
Keckhs

Location: Nowhere. I don't exist. Waitaminute, then how am I writing this?O_o

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:26 am

With more information on the intended purpose of Team GRACE I could make a better effort at an acronym.

As for plots and characters: what is your goal for the entire project? How will the situation on Gleaming White develop? What levels of technology exist? Do you have any specific themes in mind?

I would be happy to help, but I wish to work with you, not merely spew ideas out of context.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:04 pm

G.R.A.C.E = God's Really Awesome Cheery Evangelists

or

GRACE = God's Undeserved Love
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Keckhs » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:48 pm

As for plots and characters: what is your goal for the entire project? How will the situation on Gleaming White develop? What levels of technology exist? Do you have any specific themes in mind?

To answer all questions: The goal of the project is to cause non-christains to consider Christianity while entertaining those who are already Christians. The story is about a team of Christains trying to put an end to this evil law and getting as many people saved as possible. Durring this time they encounter many obstacles including but not limited to: The Emperor's gaurds, huge robots, evil 'humanoid' robots, poisonous bugs and reptiles(big ones!); all of these sent by the emperor of course. The technology is very advanced including: cars that steer themselves, telleportation devices, and other stuff you would see on a futureistic space station. Themes include: Sci fi, adventure, action, and the rest are still being decided.
Hope this is enough information.
Keckhs

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:56 pm

That is plenty of information. By theme I was actually refering to more philisophical things, but I believe I have a good enough grip on the concept now that it doesn't matter.

I'm inclined to agree that Grace would function better not as an acronym, but here are some suggestions if you want to stick with the idea:

G = God's (this is probably a given)
R = Reconnaissance (it could be used for R in almost any case)
A = (not sure)
C = (not sure)
E = Experiment (assuming the concept is new)

It isn't an easy word to work with...
uc pseudonym

Postby RoyalWing » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:58 pm

Atonement Core ?

(not sure if it makes sense...)

Your idea is cool! I wish you good luck with it!~
RoyalWing

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:44 am

Atonement Core is a pretty good idea. It doesn't fit with Experiment, but in this case I'd suggest thinking of something else for E...
uc pseudonym

Postby RoyalWing » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:53 pm

Oh? It doesn't fit? I thought as the "Core Experiment". But you're much better at this so I'll just shut my mouth now. >w<;;
RoyalWing

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:10 pm

Actually, it could work better than I thought.

I was thinking of core as a noun, but if Keckhs can think of a way that Attonement Core is a collective adjective it could work fairly well.
uc pseudonym

Postby RoyalWing » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:38 pm

Um, yes, let's see what the creator of this story decides to do. ^-^
RoyalWing

Postby Keckhs » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:37 am

Let's see... God's Reconnaissance Attonement Core Expirement... I'll have to look 'Attonement' up in the dictionary (I hate my short vocabulary:P) but I think it might work if I change the word 'Expirement'. Anyway, I still need some ideas for characters and short story plots. In the past few day I've changed the story a bit, so now it starts out that Gleaming White is nearing completion before it is ready to become a home to thousands of people. There in an accademy on part of the space station for those who want to become space cadets. Anne has just enrolled in this accademy and is on her way to the space station. Everything else is pretty much the same except the storyies might not always take place inside the space station but may move into outer space at some times and may even take place on different asteroids and planets. I got inspiration for this from the anime, 'Stellvia'. If any of this confuses you please let me know and I'll try to explain it more clearly.
Keckhs

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:11 am

Glad that we could help.

Meanwhile, I don't think I have anything to offer you in regard to characters or plots, for the moment. I still don't have a feel for this project. It's somewhat of a nebulous thing, so you might not be able to change that. If you could provide a sample plot it might help.

Do you want this to be serious, comic, what?
uc pseudonym

Postby RoyalWing » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:20 pm

How much effort? Will you put it in?

If it's very much, you need to write out the story/know where you are going. Maybe, I would like to know the beginning of the story?

Is each chapter/how you are going to divide it, is it going to be more following, a single story, or just characters in the different stories? "episodic", I think it's the word?

I would like to know what word you end up choosing for the "E" ! :grin:
RoyalWing

Postby Keckhs » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:52 am

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I got kinda' busy...
This project is supposed to be rather serious, but I'm thinking of adding a healthy dose of comedy, such as in the following example:
[Aliengirl1] is sitting at the table with a fork in each hand
Anne: Uh, [Aliengirl1], what are you doing?
[Aliengirl1]: Why, I'm trying to, what do you call it, eat a balanced breakfast!
Everyone: *sweatdrop*

Although I don't know if I'll actually have aliens in my story, I think this type of humor would serve the manga well. I'm also going to aim for a few sad scenes too, since I think they strengthen the feel of the story and add to the serious tones. I still don't know what to do for 'E.' Oh well, I'll browse through the dictionary.
Keckhs

Postby Keckhs » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:18 pm

Okay! With the help of my dad, I've decided to go with God's Redeemed Against Crime & Evil, but your suggestions were great as well. Wow, this new name makes Team Grace sound like a christian police force, which is probably what they'll turn into anyway. Back on subject:
To answer some of RoyalWing's questions, I'm going to make a story script before anything, so I'm putting a lot of effort into this. It is going to be episodic, meaning each issue will only tell part of the story and be small stories in themselves.
I'm thinking of rewinding the story a bit and showing Anne a few months before boarding Gleaming White. I think this would make for an interesting beggining.
Anyway, any ideas that you have I would appreciate. Ja mate ne. See you later!
Keckhs

Return to New Projects and Ideas