What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:55 pm

MasterDias wrote:That wouldn't work.

Del Rey was originally going to censor the nudity in Negima in order to knock the rating down a notch. It caused quite an uproar and Del Rey quickly changed their minds when people started canceling their preorders left and right. The majority of anime fans are pretty intolerant when it comes to editing, given all of the hacked up anime/manga we have gotton in the past.

Companies aren't going to do it, if they lose money off of it...

It would be great though if it could happen *sigh*. But mostly I was talking about bad language and unlicensed manga. Since unlicensed manga isn't really official the scanlators of a project could just cut out the curse words and insert something different. Also, they could put somewhere on their webpage that they do cut out the cuss words so people who translated it by themselves wouldn't be bothering them about why the translations weren't exact.

Btw, don't read Remote, it's bad. I was looking in my B. & N. bookstore for Furuba volume 4 (which, sadly, they didn't have-I have to try Books a Million soon) and found Remote volumes 1 and 2. Since I had read a summary online I thought it might be interesting. Now, however, I wish that I hadn't read it.
Detailed nudity of the main girl (shower scene-what else?), she was going to sleep w/ her fiance for the first time but had to go on a job call, has a lot of bad language, small panty shots, and is really gory of the dead bodies they're trying to solve the murders of (thankfully I didn't look too closely at those pics-or of the shower scene that lasted like 3 pages). I am disgusted of that manga and of me for finishing reading the first volume (though after the shower scene I only skimmed it). Thank the Lord I didn't buy it; that would have been a BIG mistake. :thumbsdow
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:37 pm

Indigo_Eyes wrote:It would be great though if it could happen *sigh*. But mostly I was talking about bad language and unlicensed manga. Since unlicensed manga isn't really official the scanlators of a project could just cut out the curse words and insert something different. Also, they could put somewhere on their webpage that they do cut out the cuss words so people who translated it by themselves wouldn't be bothering them about why the translations weren't exact.

Actually, profanity is a cultural issue and thus is pretty much dependant on who is doing the translating as said words can be translated different ways. Thus, unofficial translators might use harsher language than what the official company translators would use in some cases.

On a general basis, I don't mind profanity, up to a certain extent at least. I get seriously annoyed if they start inserting curses as every other adjective however...that's just lousy translating.

That said, we are getting rather off-topic...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Icarus » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:37 pm

Speaking of Remote, censors are strange things. They let the two shower scenes go past un-marked, but digitize a bit of graphic violence.

Any way, on Samurai Deeper Kyo, it is about Kyo, who slew an unreasonable number of men at some point in the past, earning the name Demon Eyes. There is a young travelling merchant that looks rather like him. Carries a sword like his as well. But it's not him. No, this is Kyoshiro (or something like that), with a bounty on his head. Not nearly as much as Kyo, but a bounty none the less. Which is why Yuya follows/captures/attempts to retain custody of him.

Where is Kyo in all this? That's part of the plot.

Objectionable content? Female nudity, violence and cursing. While people may be split in twain, their innards remain inside.

What am I reading? Lament of the Lamb, vols 1 and 2 for the at least third time each. Immortal rain, FB 4, and I think that's it.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Mave » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:48 am

I would not recommend Samurai Deeper Kyo. I cannot find any likeable characters in that show, there is graphic nudity, violence, swearing and honestly (no offence SMKyo fans), it bored me to death. I HATE it the most whenever the main male character sexually molests the female protoganist and we're supposed to find that humorous? I am disgusted. :mutter:

I read Rurouni Kenshin before reading SDKyo, and thought it was an awful shameless ripoff of RK.
Mave

Postby MillicentKnight » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:11 pm

I just finished reading vol. 8 of Ayashi no Ceres and vol. 1 of Imadoki. Imadoki was pretty good, but Ayashi no Ceres never fails to freak me out. Don't know why I keep reading it then...I guess I just can't stop reading a series once I start. I'm weird. n.n
I'd like to slip into something more comfortable....like a coma.

:bang: *points* This is me 75% of the time...
MillicentKnight

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:12 pm

I finished Cardcaptor Sakura (because it was in the library and I had a bit too much time on my hands). Not too impressed, but I'm not going to pass judgement on a genre I like so little.

Once when I was waiting for someone I read half-way through the third volume of Miracle Girls. Boring stuff, but if I'm ever stuck again I might finish it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:08 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I finished Cardcaptor Sakura (because it was in the library and I had a bit too much time on my hands). Not too impressed, but I'm not going to pass judgement on a genre I like so little.

Once when I was waiting for someone I read half-way through the third volume of Miracle Girls. Boring stuff, but if I'm ever stuck again I might finish it.

Did you get Miracle Girls from the library too then? I want manga in my library....
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:21 pm

Yes; it is somewhat of a recent development.

For your sake I hope that your library gets manga. Mine has a severe tendency to only buy a single volume of a long series (such as Inuyasha #13; that's all the Inuyasha they have).
uc pseudonym

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:04 pm

[quote="uc pseudonym"]Yes]

Can you request more manga at your library?

Indigo_Eyes

Postby MasterDias » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:31 pm

[quote="uc pseudonym"]
For your sake I hope that your library gets manga. Mine has a severe tendency to only buy a single volume of a long series (such as Inuyasha #13]

Things like that annoy me.

Well, anyway, I borrowed Trigun, Volume 1 and Excel Saga, Volume 2 from a friend.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Elric_kun » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:39 pm

reading Immortal Rain vol. 2 and Negima vol. 2
Elric_kun

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:07 am

Reading Trigun Vol.1 (It's sooooo awesome, and a great value for how much pages you get for your buck!)
Ichigo_89

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:13 pm

*not talking to Zip beacuase he didn't take her manga suggestion*

;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:20 pm

Indigo_Eyes wrote:Can you request more manga at your library?

I could perform an interlibrary loan. But they're pretty unresponsive to book requests. However, given how often graphic novels in general are checked out, I think they'll be buying more.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:44 pm

[quote="Mangafanatic"]*not talking to Zip beacuase he didn't take her manga suggestion*

]
LOL, sorry. I'm too Shonen based for that stuff I guess...
Ichigo_89

Postby Kinkosami » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:15 pm

I just finished reading the first saiyuki manga. It was pretty good too...
*~My Signature Image~*
Look at it, you'll be glad you did!

[Minitokyo][FanFiction]

~CLICK HERE~
Kinkosami

Postby mai » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:33 am

Just read Suki vol.2 and D.N.Angel vol.2. Both were very good.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby thalia » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:01 pm

Hmm...when I went to Barnes & Noble Saturday I had a chance to read Hot Gimmick 4 & 5, and Rurouni Kenshin 6, which were all good!!! Now I have to get Fruits Basket 4, and see if Waldenbooks has Hot Gimmick 6 (which came out last week)! I'm also reading InuYasha (I think I'm on the 4th volume or something), Mars (I think I'm on like the 6th or 7th volume), and Shutterbox! Ah...too many manga, so little time...
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:53 am

What's hot gimmick like? I've seen it on the shelf before but I never bothered to read it. (BTW, is the art in the book like the art on the cover. Nothing makes me more frustrated than manga with good cover art and lousy art on the pages.)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby bakura_fan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:52 am

Hmm. I'm reading......Fruits Basket series 1-3. I can hardly wait to get vol.4
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby indyrocker » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:22 am

Cowboy bebop volume 1
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Kireihana » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:02 pm

I'm intrested in Hot Gimmick too, but it's rated 16+ so I should probably wait a while.

Anyway, I just got Rurouni Kenshin 6, and have been checking a couple of bookstores for Fruits Basket 4 which is supposed to be out, but none of them seem to have it. I've also been keeping up with Parfait Tic, which is by far my favorite manga ever... I wish they'd bring it over to the US, though!!!
Kireihana

Postby Gypsy » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:44 pm

I just finished up Fruits Basket vol 4 and Comic Party (Tokyopop) vol 1.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Icarus » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:11 pm

The base ball bat. You have to love the baseball bat.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Gypsy » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:26 pm

Icarus wrote:The base ball bat. You have to love the baseball bat.

It actually freaked me out slightly. Image
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:57 pm

Baseball hat. . . . are we referring to the baseball hat of Fruits Basket or a different manga?

Mangafanatic

Postby christianfriend » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:02 pm

Fushigi Yugi volume 11!
christianfriend

Postby Gypsy » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:22 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Baseball hat. . . . are we referring to the baseball hat of Fruits Basket or a different manga?

I think ... (I'm confused now!! Image ) that Icarus and I were talking about the horrible baseball bat from Comic Party.

But the baseball hat from FB is fun to talk about too!
Gypsy

Postby Kesshin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:41 pm

I'm currently reading Tsubasa. To tell you the truth, I don't really like it as much as I hoped I would. Just not a big Clamp fan. *shrugs*
Sora is pretty funny, though. ^^
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:16 pm

Yeah, I wasn't floored by it either, but, hey, maybe it will pick up in future volumes.

Mangafanatic

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews