Gto

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Gto

Postby EdHead » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:35 am

When looking for some good manga, somthing on the less fantasy side, is GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka) recommendable?

I also heard that the anime was the most televised show in Japan! Is this for real?:wow!:
But then again, what do you expect from the Anime/Manga-otaku paradise that is Japan?
"He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yeilds its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers."

Psalms 1:3

;)
EdHead

Postby Psycho Ann » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:30 pm

GTO is as realistic a manga as they get and so....

Sexual situations/references/jokes are abound.

I read up to manga volume..... 15? <-- again doesn't remember.

But really, the stuff in there is NOT for kids, rated R material though not as "hentai-ish" as Golden Boy.

It's hecka funny if you get all the jokes (references from popular games, anime and even The Ring) and the details are also great. Story-telling is all very real since it IS a highschool drama--somewhat. Also the usual "moral messages" apply: never give up; friendship; be yourself; etc.

But really, R rated for mature situations and LANGUAGE (I nearly forgot that). Very very crude language (not only cussing but also when talking about sex, etc).

Surprisingly, no explicit nudity, but more than enough dirty stuff to ensure a good thrashing from the Holy Spirit :lol:

And 'some' violence too ^^;;;

(guiltily, GTO is actually a fav manga of mine ^^;;; )
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby EdHead » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:36 am

I knew that there's a lot of mature content in GTO, but I just wanted to know if it was a manga worth reading, you know.

Although I am happy to hear that there's no explicit nudity in there, don't wanna thrash the holy spirit even more! :lol:

Anyway, nice avatar!
Thanks for the buzz! :jump:
"He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yeilds its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers."

;)
EdHead

Postby kriz182 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:26 pm

GTO is superb! yes, it's worth reading! Just ignore the bad things and you'll get a very deep realisitic story about what's going on in society these days (especially in Japan). read on and you'll learn some lessons about life. it's really a great manga.

as for me, i think it's completely okay to read GTO. i mean the manga just trying to describe the reality. if we don't read GTO then sure we'll still gonna hear cursings and dirty jokes everywhere else.

anyway, the GTO dorama (TV series drama) is clean! well, with some mild language but it's clean! the story is quite different from the manga version. it's absolutely the best japanese dorama i've ever watched!
We talk about hate more than we talk about love...
How can the world be a better place?
kriz182

Postby EdHead » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:16 am

Alright, now we got the positive and the negative.

+Positive: Reality manga with an interesting story that depicts just that, reality. You might also learn something.(if you look through all the R rated material and jokes)

-Negative: The only reason I wouldn't recommend it officially in CAA, is because of all the R rated material. It's more recommended to older audiences(+16). But other than that, it's great!

Thanks for all the info! ;)

By the way, manga must be really popular in Indonesia, huh?

;)
EdHead

Postby Saint » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:46 am

GTO is a great series to get into. it is unlike any of the other series i own. it is rated as a 16+ series, so i guess.. R? i would say it is more like PG-13. (the anime) i only have the first 2 manga...they prolly (like everything else..) have a lot more to them than the animated.
some episodes better than others in not haveing sexual implications... but they are heavy (and funny) in the series.
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Saint » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:49 am

OH, i believe they said that the last episode of GTO was the most watched show in japans history? yet, they may have been talking about the live action one. (i guess they had a GTO with real actors... who knows.) i can't remember where i got this info... so you might want to check it. :)
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby kriz182 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:31 am

when i talked about "GTO TV Drama" in my last post then it means a real drama (not anime) with real actors...

you guys should check that out! you won't regeret it! i almost cried at 10th and the last episode...

EdHead: well yes, manga is very popular here in Indonesia...after all, we're still one Asia ^^ to tell you the truth, American comics like DC or Marvel are not so popular here...
We talk about hate more than we talk about love...
How can the world be a better place?
kriz182

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews