So, Yotsuba...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

So, Yotsuba...

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:15 am

Who else here has been collecting it? I gotta say, out of all the manga I have and had, it's my favorite. Even over works by Urasawa. (Don't kill me.)

I got volume nine on the 22nd. Azuma's art has gotten so much better since the first few volumes. Line have gotten thinner and softer. Even though Yotsuba and her dad only do everyday things, it keeps you hooked in reading about it. I gotta say, I have a lot of empathy for Fuka. That awkwardness she has about things is very familiar to me.

I dunno. What do you guys think?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:29 am

Love it. Love it, love it, love it. I don't like it more than Urasawa, but I think I love it just as much.

I don't have the 9th volume yet (booo!) but I have it ordered. I love how laid-back and relaxed it is, and Yotsuba is so cute! It's the manga I love t relax with, and I've actually laughed out loud when I read it- which is so hard to do!
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:08 am

Yotsuba&! is my second favorite manga, beaten only by FMA. It never fails to cheer me up when I'm down, or generally make me feel good about life.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:18 pm

It's my all time favorite, hands down. If anything, specifically because it's only everyday happenings. All the characters are "real" people, and I know people like them(or am like them myself). I can also recomend it to anyone and everyone, which is a huge plus considering a lot of the people I deal with think anime and manga are exclusively, well, not church material. XP

One person I lent it too didn't like it very much. I avoid them now. XP jkjk.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:15 pm

I own quite a few, and I need vol 9!!! It wasn't at the book store last time I looked, but I love the series and will continue to read it! Yotsuba is so cute and hilarious with her antics! I really want this series to be animated, maybe like 5 minute long clips, it would be so cute! Unfortunately I think the author said she didn't want to animate it for some reason, maybe too episodic.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:04 pm

wildpurplechild (post: 1448079) wrote:I own quite a few, and I need vol 9!!! It wasn't at the book store last time I looked, but I love the series and will continue to read it! Yotsuba is so cute and hilarious with her antics! I really want this series to be animated, maybe like 5 minute long clips, it would be so cute! Unfortunately I think the author said she didn't want to animate it for some reason, maybe too episodic.

She said that it just wouldn't have the same charm animated. And I think that I agree- there would be something lost in animating it.
Atria35

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Ummm, Kiyohiko Azuma is a guy. n.n' I agree about the animating, but disagree too. It could take on a new charm animated, but it would have to be done very carefully and not deviate from the manga at all. Course I like anime slightly better than manga, so I'm baised. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Atria35 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 am

He, she.... Japanese names can be so gender-neutral, sometimes! XD

The thing is, I don't trust that a studio would be able to convey that same charm. There are very few slice-of-life shows that I enjoy the manga and anime equally, even if it's a different sort of charm or like.
Atria35

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Yeah, truth...
He actually writes his name kinda in the feminine way as his pen name, so it has caused confusion alot. XD
Rusty Claymore

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:31 pm

I haven't been "collecting" it, 'cos I'm poor (I only have the first few volumes), but Yotsuba is still one of my favorite manga. GREAT comfort reading in you;re in a bad mood.

Regarding the (somewhat disappointing) lack of an anime, didn't Azuma specifically dislike the adaptation of Azumanga Daioh for some reason?
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:40 pm

I heard that too. After reading the manga of Azumanga I kinda have an idea why, but maybe not, because that sorta thing is more normal over there... Also, I got mine for just around $9 at Amazon. Your shipping can't in no way be more expensive than mine. XD
And remember, it's an investment of your well being. n.n
Rusty Claymore

Postby Falx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:32 am

Oh man wait, vol. 9 is out?

*orders*
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Asuka Neko » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:48 pm

I love Yotsuba&! because it is so cute! I haven't been able to buy it yet, because I don't have the money (boo...) but I get it from the library and they are pretty good at getting the new volumes when they come out. I love this manga because it's hysterical, I laugh so much when I read it! Actually... I can't read it at school because people would ask me what in the world was wrong with me if I kept laughing that much.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Atria35 (post: 1448173) wrote:He, she.... Japanese names can be so gender-neutral, sometimes! XD

The thing is, I don't trust that a studio would be able to convey that same charm. There are very few slice-of-life shows that I enjoy the manga and anime equally, even if it's a different sort of charm or like.

I thought he was male, but someone told me otherwise. :sweat:

Yeah I agree though, slice of life mangas can be harder to adapt because they tend to be so short. It's probably hard to keep them in a specific time frame, plus the anime could get ahead of the manga quicker.
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Tamachan319 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Adore it, adore it, adore it, adore it, adore it. I haven't read the 9th volume yet, but I can't wait to.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Kiyohiko is a guy. It's the male "hiko" instead of the female "Ko." (According to Wikipedia.)

I think Azuma being a guy and all makes Yotsuba all that more endearing. Not sure why.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

Don't like Yotsuba?

You're a monster.

Haven't read it in awhile though. I'll have to catch up sometime.
Fish and Chips

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:23 am

Yotsuba is a cute manga but I don't keep up with it.

Regarding Japanese names: typically, I've found that if a first name has four syllables (e.g. "Yoshiyuki", "Kiyohiko", "Yasuhiro"), it's a male name. Female names tend to be shorter. But of course, this is a broad generalization so I'm sure there are some exceptions.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:45 am

How many volumes are there?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:31 pm

rocklobster (post: 1448719) wrote:How many volumes are there?

It's still being published. 9 volumes have been released in English so far, abd it's still ongoing in Japan.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 am

I just got two of my friends into this, everybody loves that cute lil green haired girl!

As for volumes, yeah I think it's up to 9 in the US but I'm sure it's way past that in Japan. I can't wait to read vol 9!
wildpurplechild

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1448715) wrote:Don't like Yotsuba?

You're a monster.

Haven't read it in awhile though. I'll have to catch up sometime.

Even Johan likes Yotsuba.
Yamamaya

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 am

I think Yotusba&! in Japan is only up to 10 or 11 in book format. I could be wrong.

I do find this series to be wonderful and funny at times. Yotsuba is a funny kid. :3
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:48 am

Yeah, we're at most 2 books behind them. Our first came out in 2005. This is taking forever XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby wildpurplechild » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Well, that's how translating goes.

So who is everyone's favorite character? Other than Yotsuba herself of course. I really like Fuuka. The typical highschool student, she's rather plain, but easy for me to relate too. Plus it's really funny when Yotsuba teases her :)
wildpurplechild

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Fuuka! I have to agree- I find her the easiest sister to relate to. The oldest is a bit more glamorous and isn't in it as often, while the youngest is a little too young for me to get behind (ageism. Isn't it ugly? XD ). So Fuuka it is.

Although Jambo makes a close second.
Atria35

Postby wildpurplechild » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Yeah Jumbo's hilarious!!
wildpurplechild

Postby Cadence » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:26 am

My favorite character is totally Yanda.
Don't judge me.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:51 am

Cadence (post: 1455392) wrote:My favorite character is totally Yanda.
Don't judge me.

How did I forget about him?!?! TIE FOR SECOND PLACE!

Him and Jumbo both make me laugh so hard!
Atria35

Postby Sissy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:18 am

I just recently got vols. 1, 3, and 4, and so far I'm really liking this series. :thumb: So cute, and they have a wonderful reread value.

As for favorite characters... well, Jumbo can be hilarious, but I would have to say Yotsuba's father. Some of my favorite moments are when he interacts with her. Like with the elephant when they went to the zoo, or when he plays "Boxerman." :lol:

Also, I love it when he and Jumbo get into one of their... whatever-they-ares, where they just yell at each other and strike fighting poses. XD
Sissy

Location: Go three blocks that way and take a right. Can't miss it.

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews