Oneshots

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Oneshots

Postby Strafe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 pm

So I usually don't read one shots, but for some reason, I was surfing around [modsnip], and today they put up a number of one shots. I decided to read through them and quit if they were bad, since I always felt that there wasn't enough room to develop a strong plot, and most oneshot writers were obscure (read: supposedly not as good) artists making their debut.

Well I was hit by quite the pleasant surprise. I read Ability Shop, by Tashiro Tetsuya, and I have to say that it was REALLY GOOD. The art was very well done, reminded me of some already established series. But what really hit me hard was the plot. It was surprising how quickly I could get into a new character, and feel heartbreak in such a short number of pages. It chronicled such a breaking descent and redemption so quickly, and while I still felt a bit empty and rushed afterwards, I found that I really enjoyed it. I also read most of Kano Yasuhiro's one shots, which were all really good. Allumage stuck out too.

But some of them still felt slightly empty, which I guess is the point, since alot of authors might try to jump off of a one shot's success and continue from there with a related series. But some of the ones that end seem to be better in themselves my opinion. The one shot either makes itself, or a series that makes itself I guess.

Which leads to the main question: What do you like more, a concluding one shot that can beautifully form a plot and end in a satisfying way? Or a series-starting one shot that continues and expands on a great idea, fleshing out the characters and plot further?

After this, I'm not quite sure about that myself.

Just thought I'd point some of that out and start a little discussion.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby ich1990 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm

I don't have a conclusive answer to that question. Some one-shots, like Island by Naoshi Komi, would be terrible as intros into full blown series. Others, like Bat in a Blue Sky by Hiromu Arakawa, have the potential to make a great series. So, to be totally irresolute, I am going to have to say that it depends on the material in question.

I will say that in general I have found self-contained one shots to be more enjoyable, however. That is probably more a result of my small reading sample than any actual trend, however.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby wildpurplechild » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:52 am

I started to read Ability Shop, and it looks really interesting! I don't usually read one shots, but I have read a few, like Apple. That one is kind of strange but I found it interesting.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Strafe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Another really good one is Emerald by Samura Hiroaki. Cool western scratchy art style, interesting plot, cool characters, nice ending. Sure, some things aren't tied up well, but that's fine.

@ich990. I meant like a really good one shot, not counting bad one shots, since well, there are no simple questions in the face of absolute subjectivity. But if there are two really good one shots that either conclude or end openly, what would you like better?
This is an original signature
Strafe

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews