Sailor Moon

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Sailor Moon

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 pm

I didn't see a thread for the Sailor Moon manga... At least not a recent one anyway. Mind if I start one?

Anyway, who else has read the manga? I just finished it like on Friday. I thought it was pretty good.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 pm

I used to read it back in the day. It was marred somewhat by the shaky translation/localization by Mixx (aka Tokyopop). I'd really like to read it again, so I can compare it to the anime (which I'm close to finishing-- yes, all 200 episodes).
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:40 am

Impressive on nearly finishing, Shirori. :)

I agree that the shaky translation marred it a little bit. Still, even though it was a rough translation, I guess it's good that it was at least a translation... I'm hoping that Tokyopop re-releases it with more accurate translations and the Japanese names instead of the DiC names (though I pretty much grew used to the DiC names before reaching the end; not too big a deal, I just prefer the Japanese names) - especially now that the Tokyopop/Mixx translation is out of print.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:30 am

Man, I read that thing years and years ago! It's been ages, though. The Manga followed pretty well outside of the ever present filler episodes. PGSM is a definite deviation, but still fun.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:36 am

I doubt it'll ever get picked up again...Toei has pretty much said they aren't going to sell the license to anyone again. I wish they'd change their minds because now all the DVDs and the manga are out of print...

Also, I don't really mind the English names so much. Some of them I like better. Like Serena is a way better name than Usagi. Also I think Darien is a cooler name than Mamoru. But, whatever. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 am

Mamoru was definitely a mouthful for me when I was a kid. PGSM isn't bad, though, if you haven't seen it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby ashfire » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:23 pm

I have wondered if they were to re release the anime or would it be better to use new animation styles to retell the story according to the manga.
A lot of anime are including 3D backgrounds or items to them so would this be good.
ashfire

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:53 pm

It would be cool if they would make an updated version of the anime, kinda like how they're doing with DBZ.

Um. Anyway, yeah, the manga. I like Takeuchi Naoko's illustrations; she's very good with color. But I was never a fan of her pages. They seem a little...sloppy sometimes. Well, in the earlier volumes anyway.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:10 pm

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1347894)"]It would be cool if they would make an updated version of the anime, kinda like how they're doing with DBZ.

Um. Anyway, yeah, the manga. I like Takeuchi Naoko's illustrations]

Yeah - I agree. When I read through the first few volumes, I felt that save a few drawings, they mostly looked like sketches that weren't all that great. By the third story arc, I felt she'd grown quite a bit as a mangaka and started making some pretty good pages for the most part.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:34 am

I've never read the manga. o.o Back when I was watching Sailor Moon on CN (it was one of the first animes I ever watched) the thought never occurred to me "Hey, let's read the manga! I wonder if its better." XD

Back then I was more into anime then I was manga. Now I equally enjoy both, though I usually enjoy the manga better because well, in general I find the original manga to be better than the anime. ^_^; (not saying the anime isn't good). I did, however, see images from the manga and always thought "wow, they look so weird!" XD Now I'm a little curious to read at least a few chapters from the manga... I just don't have the time XD
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:54 am

I'd read the manga if I could find it

1. fully translated
2. uncensored.

Mixx's / Tokyopop's SM TPBs don't fit the bill here. Also, a reanimation of the ORIGINAL Manga run, sans monster of the week would be nice. As long as it ended there. Sailormoon R, S, and Stars had their moments, but everything sort of loses its meaning after the end of the first run.

[spoiler]When the Silver Crystal brought them back to life and made all of them "normal" only to have them be Sailor Senshi again in R like it had never happened, it really cheapened the original end.[/spoiler]

This is assuming the original manga (before R) ended the same way as the original Anime (I never found the last few chapters of the first series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 am

I see what you mean, Bob.

The Mixx/Tokyopop really isn't censored, though. It's mostly a translation. Granted, a rough one, but a translation none the less. The names are the only aspects it explicitly borrows from the dub. The rest is either directly from the sub or roughly translated names (I say roughly because some of the names aren't translated correctly - like they accidentally translated "Sailor Lead Crow" as "Sailor Red Crow" and the "Galaxy Cauldron" as the "Galaxy Cordon").

And in regards to the ending of the first season...

[spoiler]The first story arc was created without any intentions for more. It was originally only going to last for one season, but when it became such a hit, Naoko Takeuchi and the animators decided to keep going. I definitely see where you're coming from, though. Good catch![/spoiler]
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1348018) wrote:[spoiler]The first story arc was created without any intentions for more. It was originally only going to last for one season, but when it became such a hit, Naoko Takeuchi and the animators decided to keep going. I definitely see where you're coming from, though. Good catch![/spoiler]

Actually, Naoko Takeuchi only continued the Manga because Toei had already started inventing their own story (much like they later did with Dragonball GT)... The entertaining, but very weak "doom tree" arc... She didn't like that story, and started working on her own story, the Black Moon Clan / Wiseman story. Toei then went on to invent their own stories for 2 of the movies, but actually used the canon story of Princess Kakyuu for the S movie.

EDIT: In other words, She only continued the Manga to prevent Toei Hijacking her series (not that they wouldn't have anyhow, as many anime producers have proven by distancing themselves from the source material when the source hasn't gone far enough for a conclusion)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 am

In the manga, the end of the first story arc is pretty different. Also it transitions directly into the Black Moon arc.

By the way, about the S movie-- I think you mean Princess Kaguya.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:44 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1349104) wrote:Actually, Naoko Takeuchi only continued the Manga because Toei had already started inventing their own story (much like they later did with Dragonball GT)... The entertaining, but very weak "doom tree" arc... She didn't like that story, and started working on her own story, the Black Moon Clan / Wiseman story. Toei then went on to invent their own stories for 2 of the movies, but actually used the canon story of Princess Kakyuu for the S movie.

EDIT: In other words, She only continued the Manga to prevent Toei Hijacking her series (not that they wouldn't have anyhow, as many anime producers have proven by distancing themselves from the source material when the source hasn't gone far enough for a conclusion)

Really? All the Sailor Moon sources I've read said that the doom tree arc was created to give Takeuchi time to develop her primary story for Sailor Moon R. And yeah I thought it ended differently in the manga but I wasn't sure.

Anyway, as a whole, which arc of the manga are your favorites?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1349130) wrote:In the manga, the end of the first story arc is pretty different. Also it transitions directly into the Black Moon arc.

I'll back off this point now. Did you read it from scanlations or only in Mixx's ending. I'm not sure that Mixx's ending was legit, including where it transitioned into (meaning the segue ending wasn't supposed to be part of the original ending), but as I have no way of knowing for sure atm I won't argue the point further.

By the way, about the S movie-- I think you mean Princess Kaguya.

Oops. I was going by memory, and I haven't seen it in 5 years or more.
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1349138) wrote:I'll back off this point now. Did you read it from scanlations or only in Mixx's ending. I'm not sure that Mixx's ending was legit, including where it transitioned into (meaning the segue ending wasn't supposed to be part of the original ending), but as I have no way of knowing for sure atm I won't argue the point further.

I was only able to find the Mixx/Tokyopop version, and not a scanlation, so I have no idea if it's been changed in any way or not. Let's find out...

Okay, so according to Wikipedia, Tokyopop did release all 18 volumes as tankoubon, but the version I have is scanned from the single issues, which it says was not a complete publication. Maybe that's why the ending of the first story arc seemed awkward...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby battletech » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 am

They re-released the manga in Japan when they were showing the live action show.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews