Mademoiselle Butterfly

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Mademoiselle Butterfly

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Since I just recommended it in another thread, is anyone else reading this series? It has some of the more standard plot devices of shoujo, but due to the location in 1930's and 1940's Japan, they have more believability.
Our heroine, Butterfly, was sold to a geisha house by her starving family after one of her siblings starved to death during an multi-year famine. She becomes emotionally attached to a neighbor who is the only one who still is willing to care for her like she is child, rather than force her to act like a simple servant. It's her relationship with her neighbor, who is a tattoo artist, that drives the story.
I love that this story is showing the effects of the world they live in- famine, the buying and selling of human beings, terrorism, and war- on their lives, even as Butterfly begins to grow and mature from a 15 year old terrified of being abandoned again to an adult in this world. They chapter now is really going to test her, and I look forward to seeing how she handles things.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby minakichan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Oh oh!

I love this series!!! Butterfly isn't terribly atypical of shoujo heroines, but the story is so much better (especially the plot twist recently egads!), it's very interesting!

And the art is lovely~
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Sae-chan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:18 am

The plot is okay, but I definitely like the artwork... It's like the typical shoujo manga style, but a bit different. I like it a lot.
Sae-chan

Postby Lady Kenshin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:47 pm

I think this series is based on a famous opera.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:53 pm

I think this series is based on a famous opera.

Madame Butterfly != Mademoiselle Butterfly.

AT. ALL.

lol. The name is almost definitely intentional, but the stories are not the same at all.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby choklit » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:47 pm

I read part of it; is it finished yet??? I like it so far though.
So what's the speed of dark?
choklit

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:51 pm

[quote="choklit (post: 1277342)"]I read part of it]Manga's only 2 volumes, so "Nearly."
Fish and Chips

Postby Mave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:57 pm

It's not bad. I don't immediately embrace the 'believability' in that historical context but it's unique for a shoujo manga. It strongly portrays how dependant women were on men back then, which I do believe. Honestly, I would HATE to be in her position. She's among the lucky ones who ended up being with the one whom she actually has feelings for but still...... Know what I mean?

[Spoiler] A little fairy tale like: The part where she was eventually 'bought' back by her fav. neighbour seemed like a "rescue by my shining knight in armor". In reality, whoever is richer, gets the girl and he doesn't have to love her. Even the guy who bought her was extremely courteous and decent-looking.

Not only that, the skeptic in me doubts that nice and handsome neighbour would have been faithful to only a little girl.

Still, that part of him going to war? I have to admit I felt really awful for Butterfly. I suppose she represents all the women in the world who have lost their loved men to war.

I'd be interested to see what happens depending on the outcome. 1) If he dies, how will she survive? 2) If he survives the war, will he have changed drastically to the point he is no longer the same guy she loved once? Maybe he'll have some psychological trauma and start abusing her..... what happens next?

So many possibilities. [/spoiler]My general reference of believability in olden Japan is Blade of Immortal ("Yeah, u-huh RIIGGHHT, Mave" ;) ) so hopefully, that helps everyone to understand where I'm coming from.
Mave

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews