Manga that has depth

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby oro! » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Desert Rose (post: 1270916) wrote:What I like in my manga, is depth. I don't like panty shots, detailed nudity, graphic sex scenes, stuff like that. Violence I don't mind so much, and it's better if the swearing is mild.

I like drama, adventure, character development, and humor. It's annoying to read a manga that relies on fan service. I want to see the man character grow mentally and emotionally.

Just going off of this definition in formulating my answer... I mean, does something extremely dark or creepy have to happen to make a "deep" manga? I think that most of the characters really developed(in the short space they could). The balance between responsibility and happiness are big, as are some social issues in the manga. Whether you were serious or not, just my thought process. (and I mean, I am a teen after all). ]Ok, if people can cite Imadoki and La Corda d'Oro in such a way that "depth" is defined as "no pointless panty shots and WHOA THE CHARACTERS HAVE INTERNAL MONOLOGUE AND EMOTIONZZZ," I might as well suggest Peach Girl. Teen angst is SO deep.

D:

[/QUOTE]
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 pm

minakichan wrote:Also: KOJIKA EHHHH ORLY? XDDD

KOJIKA HAS DEPTH. D:<

It just doesn't fit with the OP's criteria is all.

And uh...nothing. I mean, I didn't say anything about any manga. >.>;;

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:44 am

To all who said FMA, ditto!

I dunno, let me get y'alls opinions, but would you consider Rurouni Kenshin deep? Even if it isn't 'deep' in your opinion, its a good, 'clean' series. There is a bit of cleveage and some swearing, but nothing over the top. I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1271004) wrote:Dogtato is a dark and brooding masterpiece.

How.

On.

EARTH.

...did I miss this post originally...? LOL Amazing.

And I'd say that Rurouni Kenshin has some depth, FD. It's not the deepest series ever, but it does have a good plotline, sufficient character development, and some interesting themes.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1283067) wrote:How.

On.

EARTH.

...did I miss this post originally...? LOL Amazing.

And I'd say that Rurouni Kenshin has some depth, FD. It's not the deepest series ever, but it does have a good plotline, sufficient character development, and some interesting themes.

I agree, not the deepest out there, but ditto on the plot etc. The manga series does better than the anime at all of these IMO.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby yukoxholic » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:36 am

Desert Rose (post: 1270916) wrote:What I like in my manga, is depth. I don't like panty shots, detailed nudity, graphic sex scenes, stuff like that. Violence I don't mind so much, and it's better if the swearing is mild.

I like drama, adventure, character development, and humor. It's annoying to read a manga that relies on fan service. I want to see the man character grow mentally and emotionally.

With that said, what manga have you read would fit this description?

For me, it would be Basara, Vampire Princess Miyu, New Vampire Miyu, and From Far Away.

From Far Away made me wish I could have my own chimo.

Though this is a late response if you're still looking a manga I've recently finished reading that had 'depth' was X-Day by Setona Mizushiro. It's a story about a group of kids that want to blow up their school. They meet up in a chat room and find themselves discussing about what makes their lives so miserable. They come to the conclusion it’s the school and so they devise a plan to get rid of it. It's only 2 volumes in length and deals with issues such as loneliness and self-loathing. It's really fascinating how you think the story will center on the supposed "X-day" (aka when they want to blow up the school) but it really focuses on the day to day lives of the characters you meet within the series and why/what they hate about their lives. I know by what I’ve described it sounds like some kind of “teen angst emo shtick” but it really is a wonderful read (in my opinion) that does make you think.

Since this is an “Older Teen” title there is some mild bad language and a two scenes where certain characters become intimate with another (you don’t see anything but them in bed together). Aside from that this manga is really clean. There is also one ‘questionable’ relationship between a teacher and student but doesn’t amount to much and is tastefully done.

Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound is also a light slice of life read. It has "magical girl elements" in it but the story mainly focuses on the real life of the main protagonist which is anything but magical. ^_~ The issues it touches on is hate, not belonging, and loss of faith. It's also a great coming of age story. XD

I also second La Corda D'Oro. That series literally doesn't have a drop of fanservice in it.
yukoxholic

Postby Lochaber Axe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm

All manga has depth! All you have to do is throw them in a well and viola! It now has depth.

Seriously, the most deep graphic novel I've read is Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway by Steve Purcell.

Just look at this deep... DEEP... discussion:

Sam (as baby in womb): You know Max, as men, we will probably never fully appreciate the human birth process.
Max: Right, Sam. Guy's regard it as something of an atrocity of nature! That precious little critter we buy squeezy toys for basically starts out as a parasite!
Sam: I'm a parasite! I'm a parasite!
Max: It's enough to make your hare turn white! Get it? Bah haha haaa!
Sam: Idiot.

Such wonderfully complex and just... GENIUS!
Lochaber Axe

Postby battletech » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 am

"Bitter Virgin"
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby animeantics » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm

I wholeheartedly suggest Full Metal Alchemist.

Fantastic.
Fantastic.
FANTASTIC!
animeantics

Postby Heronwing » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Hmm... the ones that come to mind are Kingdom Hearts and Translucent. Though, I'm not sure KH would count, since it was originally a game series.
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Heronwing

Postby Sheenar » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm

I second Full Metal Alchemist.

It is fantastic!
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:28 am

battletech (post: 1284458) wrote:"Bitter Virgin"

Yes, this is true, but it also has nudity... Not a whole lot, but it's in a very disturbing context, too (considering the whole theme of the manga)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Lady Kenshin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:00 am

Yes! FMA!!! My favorite anime/manga/anything!!!

And Monster. There is objectionable content, but everything is necessary... in other words, NO FANSERVICE PRESENT!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:23 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"][color="Plum"]OURAN HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB[/color].

There really isn't all that much fanservice. Actually, I don't think that there is any female fanservice, except if you include the scene where they find out that Haruhi is a girl... But it's not treated as fanservice at all. >>;

Uhm.
Hmm.
OH. OHHH.

There is one title, but even though it's a manga, I'd recommend the anime MUCH more than the manga. (They have NOTHING to do with each other, almost!!!!)

[color="Plum"]Princess Tutu.[/color]

Yes, it sounds cheesy. Yes, it CAN be cheesy, but if you're a ballet lover (like I am), then you will absolutely ADORE this series.
It starts out all sweet and sugary, then BAM! Something horrible comes along!!
The plot device has a girl transforming from a duck to a human girl to a princess, and she IS naked when she turns back to a human girl, but there is NOTHING seen at all.
It's not presented in a sexual way at ALL.[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby S.M.O.G. » Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 pm

Death note. It has very little fanservice, but other than that its great!

I've read a little FMA, and that was really good.

Oh yeah, Pokemon is also extremely deep :p.
S.M.O.G.

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews