Ouran Discussion!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Ouran Discussion!

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:55 pm

So I just finished the Ouran High School Host Club anime over the weekend and promptly spent the rest of the week catching up in the manga. So, now I am in the mood for some discourse and am hoping there are enough people following along to do so. Since I'm not entirely sure where everyone's at, I'll spoiler my thoughts for now.

[spoiler]So, one of the things that prompted me to have a look at the manga was the exploration of how the Hikaru and Kaoru deal with the realization that they both love Haruhi and what they were going to do about it. While it's obvious and almost inevitable that Tamaki is who Haruhi ends up with, I find myself hoping that Hikaru manages to win her over.

I guess one reason is that the perceived inevitability of Tamaki together with Haruhi seems too typical and expected for me. Another is that I find Hikaru and Kaoru far more interesting characters and I've felt that they've struggled and grown more because of befriending and pursuing Haruhi.[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Dude, no. Kaoru should so get Haruhi *runs away* Actually, I was rooting for Kao-chan. He's my favorite character, the pensive wise one ^^

But yeah, we all know Haru is going to pick Tono, but poor Hika-chan... he's either destined for heartbreak or he'll come to some revelation that he doesn't need Haruhi or some new chick will cheer him up. It makes me sad =( Meanwhile, Kyouya doesn't even have a shot! ><

But yeah, all this character development is unexpected. It's kind of nice, but Haruhi + good happy personality = typical shoujo heroine.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Well, I chose Hikaru since he's the one that still has a shot. I wouldn't mind if Kaoru did end up with her, though, but he did step aside for Hikaru. That is actually another reason I'd like for Hikaru to succeed. I mean, Kaoru kind of lost Haruhi to give Hikaru a better shot, but if he loses too, it'd be like Kaoru stepped aside for nothing and he'd sorta end up losing twice.

I guess I'm fairly adamant that one of the twins should end up with Haruhi is because of the fact that she's the only person who can tell them apart. It's a fact that's heavily emphasised and to me, their relationship is far more significant and unique than the one that Tamaki and Haruhi has. It seems like a waste to just throw that away.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:37 pm

I wouldn't mind if Kaoru did end up with her, though, but he did step aside for Hikaru. That is actually another reason I'd like for Hikaru to succeed.

My support for Kaoru is based on pure bias for the character, not because I think he has a shot at it. But yes, I would like Hikaru to win because Kaoru gave Haruhi up for him, and because I love underdogs. That, and the Hitachiins are the most fascinating characters in the series. Yeah, Tamaki has a Tragic Past (TM) and sacrifices so much that he doesn't even know it, but the twins are EVIL. THAT'S AMAZING.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah, I'm still rooting for Kaoru, myself. In fact, his stepping aside makes him more eligible/"deserving" in my book, as it's a show of real, self-sacrificing love, which is an ideal trait. This balanced with Kaoru's still being quite evil like Hikaru makes him interesting and very cool. Haruhi and Tamaki do seem like the obvious way canon would go, which is precisely why I don't want it to happen. It's entirely too predictable. Besides, he just doesn't really seem like the sort of person Haruhi would want to be with. I know "opposites attract" and all, but this is an anime. Tamaki's just so over-the-top (which makes him hilarious, but . . .).

Of course, I may be missing some things, as I am more familiar with the anime with the manga (although I have read some of the manga and love it).

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby ninjaduckofdoom » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:27 pm

My favorite is Tamaki and he always will be, though, if it had to be one of the twins I would definitely go with Hikaru. Honestly though, I've always kind of had a liking for a pairing between Mori and Haruhi. lol
ninjaduckofdoom

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Tamaki/Haruhi is probably my least favorite coupling, but that seems to be the way the story's leading and it's not bad persay.... just too obvious and stereotypical for my taste. My crack!ship of choice is Kyouya/Haruhi. They seemed better suited for each other near the beginning of the manga, but as their characters developed and histories were revealed.... well, I can still enjoy the pairing-off chapters and fanfics. Haha... within logical bounds of canon, I love Hikaru/Haruhi. The most recent chapter (62) makes me sad for him, but it stilllll left things open! Here's hoping the recent developments won't stop the mangaka from focusing some chapters on the other characters' relationships with Haruhi as well.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:50 pm

Heh, Kyouya/Haruhi is pretty much a crack!ship, but it isn't half as much crack as Hunny/Haruhi. Wahahaha. That is the definition of crack right there.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:03 pm

It makes me happy to find that there are people who aren't Tamaki/Haruhi. When I was searching for chapter 62, I ended up on a lot of boards and were surprised at the number of people that were Tamaki/Haruhi. I don't see any reason for him to end up with her other than the fact that it's been set up that way.

I suspect that it may also have something to do with the fact that I'm a guy and thus, not attracted to him at all.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:29 am

My crack!ship of choice is Kyouya/Haruhi.

...This was formerly my OTP. DO NOT ASSOCIATE IT WITH CRACK. IT WILL BE CANON. SOMEDAY. MAYBE IN A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE.

In the anime, they seem to emphasize Tamaki, Kyouya, and Hikaru as Haruhi's potential suitors, but everywhere, Kyouya is always left out. I think Kyouya is just as interesting as the twins (and it's definitely easier to relate to him). I hope he finds happiness. Which isn't the same as Haruhi, but in shoujo manga, these things are not very well defined.

I ended up on a lot of boards and were surprised at the number of people that were Tamaki/Haruhi.

Actually, I'm surprised this topic was started by a male. Ah, not that there's anything wrong with it, and I know guys like Ouran too, it's a great series. Just kind of surprised. Probably because my guy friends all think shipping is retarded. ...Except I usually do too, but for Ouran... uh, never mind.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:27 am

minakichan (post: 1242322) wrote:...This was formerly my OTP. DO NOT ASSOCIATE IT WITH CRACK. IT WILL BE CANON. SOMEDAY. MAYBE IN A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE.

In the anime, they seem to emphasize Tamaki, Kyouya, and Hikaru as Haruhi's potential suitors, but everywhere, Kyouya is always left out. I think Kyouya is just as interesting as the twins (and it's definitely easier to relate to him). I hope he finds happiness. Which isn't the same as Haruhi, but in shoujo manga, these things are not very well defined.

Actually, I'm surprised this topic was started by a male. Ah, not that there's anything wrong with it, and I know guys like Ouran too, it's a great series. Just kind of surprised. Probably because my guy friends all think shipping is retarded. ...Except I usually do too, but for Ouran... uh, never mind.

Heh, former OTP or not, you have to admit that Kyouya/Haruhi is one of the less-supportable (from a logical standpoint) ships. Actually, I think an intelligent, lighthearted, and even a bit Tamaki-esque (because Kyouya and Tamaki make a good pair OF FRIENDS) girl would be a good fit for Kyouya. They'd balance one another well.

Kyouya's one of my favorites, too, because he's laid-back and very, very clever. He's fun because he can be evil in his own way (not nearly to the twins' extent, but a different flavor of evil), and yet you know his heart's in the right place. He's got the skills to be the evil mastermind, but he's a good guy. He also makes an excellent foil for Tamaki.

I'm not a shipper hardly at all, and I'm not much of one for Ouran, but it's still very special in that it's the only series that I could see myself caring about ships in. It's a very special series. I'm glad I got into it.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:27 am

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1242373) wrote:I'm not a shipper hardly at all, and I'm not much of one for Ouran, but it's still very special in that it's the only series that I could see myself caring about ships in. It's a very special series. I'm glad I got into it.

This.

I enjoy analysing characters and plot and it just so happens that romance is what the plot is revolving around at the moment.

I do hope Hikaru is actually going to keep trying like he said and not just give up because he lost at that moment.
blkmage

Postby Mave » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:02 am

Guess it's fine for me to say that I'm a TamakiXHaruhi shipper.

I shall miss the Haruhi who was indifferent to men and currently miss the original Host Club weekly theme. There's less focus on the Host Club aspect now, with the love triangle ploy going on full gear.

Good to see the twins getting more differentiated, though :)
Mave

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm all for Hika/Haru. I love the two twins, but I'd say out of both of them Kaoru is my favorite, however, when it comes to paring one of them with Haruhi Hikaru wins hands down for me.

Anyway, I find it kind of annoying that its so obvious that Haruhi is going to end up with Tamaki. I don't want that to happen so bad its about to kill me! I've read y'alls comments on the matter and agree... Hikaru and Kaoru have a more 'meaningful' relationship with Haruhi because of the fact that she can tell them apart among many other reasons. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed at the end of the manga.

But I digress. I feel sorry for Kaoru so much, but lover him all the more because of his selflessness when it comes to his brother. Its so cute and sweet I almost can't stand it. Another I think he's my favorite of the two twins (though I love them both)... but not by much!
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby minakichan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:38 pm

So here's a potentially extremely embarrassing question:

Did anyone ELSE cry when Kaoru confessed to Haruhi.... and rejected himself?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:17 am

I might be wrong, but it seemed like in the end, Haruhi didn't even understand his confession properly, which makes it even more unfortunate.
blkmage

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 pm

minakichan (post: 1242817) wrote:So here's a potentially extremely embarrassing question:

Did anyone ELSE cry when Kaoru confessed to Haruhi.... and rejected himself?

Didn't cry, but I so wanted to! I had the tears, was all sobby and stuff for him, felt so bad yet loved him all the more for his sacrifice, but didn't cry because I was sitting in the room with my Mom xD! So, yeah, but she just didn't get it. But then again, thats Haruhi. Another thing that got me was her rejection of Hikaru! Poor guy, but he won't give up! I'm rooting for him right along with Kaoru!

I feel sorry for Tamaki, too. He doesn't even realize he loves her... :sigh: poor idiot (as they called him).
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:49 pm

minakichan (post: 1242322) wrote:...This was formerly my OTP. DO NOT ASSOCIATE IT WITH CRACK. IT WILL BE CANON. SOMEDAY. MAYBE IN A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE.

*cower* I said I liked it!! ;_____; lol

Hmmm actually I didn't like how they put Kyouya up there as a potential suitor in the anime - not that I don't like the pairing, I just don't like how they did it. Why in the world, from what we know of Kyouya's father, would he "approve" of Haruhi and even go against Suoh in a sort of challenge to get her to marry one of their sons? .......... I found the anime finale to be ridiculous, can anyone tell? <.<;;
Kawaiikneko

Postby minakichan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 pm

I think that the suggestion that Kyouya might have a little something for Haruhi existed in the manga, but the anime just expanded it a lot. I do agree that the Kyouya!papi thing was totally OOC. At the very least, though, it's nice to see that Kyouya was at least somewhat affected by Haruhi; in the manga, it seems like the only person with any remote influence on him is Tono.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 pm

The ending of the anime was interesting for me because I didn't really know anything about the manga, but it was just so different from the rest of the anime that I knew that it wasn't material from the manga.
blkmage

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:36 pm

the anime ending? yeah, I didn't care for it. Love the manga version of the festival so much more anyway. The anime ending I was like "What?". And the chicky they stuck in there that was 'forcing' Tamaki to leave? Yeah... I like the manga better anyway. Not that I don't like the anime... but I don't care for the ending. But I'm repeating myself now XD

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby SailorDove » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:26 pm

I actually like the Tamaki & Haruhi together, personality wise. And the fact that one of our neighbor & his wife remind me of a normal version of them, probably helps me see it working between those two.

But if there was another pairing in the group. I'd have to suggest Mori. Calm and quiet would suit her taste. And he was first to think to give her his strawberries from his slice of cake & only he remembered she wanted that sushi thingy.

I've only seen the anime. But that's what got me started reading the manga. To me the story structure on the anime is better. Think I'm upto vol. 8 so far.

By the way, what is this "shipping" that everyone's referring to?
Naruto Fanfic: Kokoro of Konoha by Sailor Dove

What is the power of the weak and the weakness of power?

What would the butterfly effects be with an OC with no chakra or ninja inclinations but a coveted special sensing ability? But that's not her only closely guarded secret. Psst, don't tell the hyper blond boy she hates ramen.
SailorDove

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 pm

SailorDove (post: 1246985) wrote:By the way, what is this "shipping" that everyone's referring to?

"Shipping" refers to supporting a particular character relationship (referred to as a "ship" for short, because lazy children of the Internet can't be bothered to use full words).

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

Raiden no Kishi

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:00 am

I love the twins, and they're my favorite characters, but... I don't think either of them can end up with Haruhi without it being really depressing... :(

But I also think Tamaki and Haruhi are really cute together :3
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:44 pm

So, chapter 63.

I'm pleased that it appears that Hikaru has not given up yet and that it still seems to be a genuine effort. I'm also pleased that his helping Tamaki is so that he can feel comfortable competing with him for Haruhi as opposed to falling back to helping Tamaki because Haruhi turned him down.
blkmage

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews