Mx0 any good?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Mx0 any good?

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:22 am

So, I've been in a manga sort of mood lately and Mx0 caught my eye. Has anyone read this? If so, is it tolerable or overwhelmingly ecchi? Meaning... are they tripping all over each other every other frame and landing in awkward positions? Because I find that annoying.

Tell me what you think! :]
Kawaiikneko

Postby minakichan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:38 am

ALSDKFJSDLFIJSL I LOVE MX0. It is the only Jump series that I can bother to follow nowadays.

Well, the whole school-of-magic-users subgenre has pretty much been beaten to death, but I think Mx0 is pretty unique in that the magic use is pretty creative and very little of the series is about combat. The twist that the main character has no magical ability at all is so interesting-- here's a character who actually has to use his creativity (and his ability to lie convincingly) to pass himself as more skilled than everyone else when his true ability is far inferior. The magic powers themselves can be pretty cool.

As for the ecchi factor, well, this IS the same creator of Pretty Face. However, the whole boobs-in-face thing gets turned down a lot, and Kuzumi's actually a pretty down-to-earth guy (he doesn't fantasize 24/7 the way that Randou did). There will be occasional pantyshots and breasts (and there's one character who never has any clothes on, but she's not human, not developed, and you can't see anything anyway), but it's definitely not as much as it started out with.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MasterDias » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:41 am

I think there is some mild fanservice/innuendos at places, but it doesn't have as much as it could, given the setup.

I'm sort of indifferent on the series really. It can't completely decide whether it wants to be school comedy or fantasy/action.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Mx0 is mediocre, in my opinion, but it has a certain flavor that really appeals to some people. That flavor is the reason I read it, anyway.

minakichan has already covered a lot of the good points. It's refreshing to see a main character who mostly has to get by on bluffing and even a certain degree of intelligence. Based on the scenario, I can care a bit more about his attempts to become stronger.

minakichan wrote:There will be occasional pantyshots and breasts (and there's one character who never has any clothes on, but she's not human, not developed, and you can't see anything anyway), but it's definitely not as much as it started out with.

Have you read chapter 95? While things like that aren't unrelenting, there are definitely some pointless fanservice moments.
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews